• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OkieKid
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 09, 2006

Finally Bought My First FSJ

Hello all,

I've been on this forum for several years mainly to watch for parts I can use on my own CJ projects. I finally came across a Grand Wagoneer I couldn't pass up. It is a 1986 that was somehow registered as a Diesel here in California. That means NO Smog Nazis to deal with ever.

The issue has been, "What do I do with the engine????"

I decided to try my hands at a JunkYard TBI swap. Pick-n-Pull has a 50% off for the President's Day weekend, so I spent a few hours gathering parts to take advantage of the sale. I think I have most of what I need, thanks in part to the many knowledgeable folks on this site and the Binder site.

So, thanks to all on this site who take the time to post their project(s) workings and the help we all gain from each other.

Dennis
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Run it, maintain it, repair as needed. Swapping a TBI onto the dsl???
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• OkieKid
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 09, 2006

It was registered as a "diesel". It still has a 360.

Comment

• motogod77
        383 Wedge
        • Feb 12, 2017

What are the chances of two of us Cali boys getting lucky with a "diesel" FSJ! Mine still has the diesel emblems and Ziegest emblems as well, but was converted back to an AMC v8.

Nice on the TBI swap, my original plan was to go LS, but I want that old school raspy, hotrod, sound / power so decided to go big block mopar.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Welcome to the club!!!

Smog sucks but it's not at bad as everyone makes it out to be. As long as you have time, plenty of vacuum lines, and patience, it's not that hard to get it through.

I agree with Joe. (Run it, maintain it, repair as needed)
          It's really fun driving these rigs. You will get tons of comments on them.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• OkieKid
            230 Tornado
            • Sep 09, 2006

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I'm not afraid of smog. I've been dealing with that for SEVERAL years with CJs. I have sooo many spare parts for the Pulse Air System, they are overflowing from my garage into my side yard.

Comment

Working...
            X