• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tgreening
    258 I6
    • Jan 06, 2008

Originally posted by Mikel
    Environmentalism is a hobby of rich people. When your choice is walking to work 15 miles away or riding a smoke-belching 50cc moped, clean air takes a back seat.

I'm not rich by any standard measure, but I've managed to survive and generally deal with the EPA through my life, vehicle wise. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do, not by a long shot, but I don't see any real reasonable argument against having some clean air standards in place.

As I said, travel someplace where clean air standards, if there are any at all, take a backseat as a rule and you might appreciate a bit more the air you breath here. Urban China is a prime example. India is another.

Pull your favorite junk into your garage, shut the door, and then run it for about an hour and you might get an idea of what the outside air is like in someplace like Mumbai. Been there/breathed that, and spent about 60 days back home dealing with the respiratory issues.

At least I didn't have to drink the water.
    83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
    79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
    77 CJ5, V8, 33's
    94 Cherokee, 31's
    68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
    78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
    78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
    75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
    73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice

Comment

• There is more to it than emissions standards. A well maintained, properly timed diesel does not emit that much pollutants.
      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by tgreening
        I'm not rich by any standard measure, but I've managed to survive and generally deal with the EPA through my life, vehicle wise. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do, not by a long shot, but I don't see any real reasonable argument against having some clean air standards in place.

As I said, travel someplace where clean air standards, if there are any at all, take a backseat as a rule and you might appreciate a bit more the air you breath here. Urban China is a prime example. India is another.

Pull your favorite junk into your garage, shut the door, and then run it for about an hour and you might get an idea of what the outside air is like in someplace like Mumbai. Been there/breathed that, and spent about 60 days back home dealing with the respiratory issues.

"Clean" development comes at a cost. For people who have just come out of pre-industrial misery, it is a very easy choice - They will live with the pollution. Once their standard of living increases, they will have other things they can afford to worry about... Such as the environment!
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• tgreening
          258 I6
          • Jan 06, 2008

Originally posted by Mikel
          "Clean" development comes at a cost. For people who have just come out of pre-industrial misery, it is a very easy choice - They will live with the pollution. Once their standard of living increases, they will have other things they can afford to worry about... Such as the environment!

I agree, for those places I referenced, but we weren't talking about them, we were talking about "us". I used them only as an example of what things would be like HERE, NOW, if we didn't have some standards in place.

It's painful for us diesel fans because up til relatively recently diesel has been getting a pass by the EPA. Now we're getting the heat and it hurts. The same thing happened way back when for the gas burners and the only real difference is the auto industry has had about 40 yrs or so of development to put together a system that can be strong, durable, clean, and get stellar fuel mileage. Stellar compared to those initial forays into pollution control systems. That and we've had about 40 yrs to forget that pain.

I have no doubt that given some time they will make the same improvements in diesel.

In the meantime, these standards sure do suck. Hehe.
          83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
          79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
          77 CJ5, V8, 33's
          94 Cherokee, 31's
          68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
          78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
          78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
          75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
          73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice

Comment

• Gas prices are jacked up mostly by oil price speculators. If a camel coughs in the desert, the price jumps $20 a barrel.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• mcjeep80
              258 I6
              • Jul 07, 2008

for the last week i have been paying .10 cents less than a gal of regular. i havent seen diesel less than gas in years.
              8000# 4x4 truck+ 35" tires+ around 500 hp= 21 mpg. I LOVE MY DIESEL
              '80 WT.cherokee-tbi454/4l80/241c
              welded rockwells/ PSC full hydro /3"body lift
              front soa on 3" springs/inboarded 63s rear
              42x15x16.5 TSLs on 8 bolt H-1s

'77 Honcho, 454/th400/div.205
              3" body lift/3" of aal
              35x12.5x16.5 thorn turds

DD/Tow rig, 2005 5.9 Cummins 3500 CC/LB

Comment

• AMC-J/20
                350 Buick
                • Dec 17, 2009

24V-5.9L I6 Cummins diesel, ?Manual-Trans?, NP241HD, D60-DRW front, and D80-DRW rear with 4.30 gears and 245/70R19.5s

Mike
                1953 REO M48.
                1962 GMC C3000.
                1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
                1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
                1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
                1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
                1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
                1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me

Comment

• Mikel
                  • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by tgreening

You have a personal vehicle and a computer at home? By world standards, you are filthy rich. I have been to China and have (literally) seen the air around their cities. It is pretty nasty, but compared to the utter poverty those people lived in 60 years ago, it is a massive improvement.Worrying about possible respiratory problems at age 55 is much better than starving at 10. Once those people start reaching a certain standard of living, they'll start worrying about their environment.

I'm not against some reasonable standards. The problem is that environmental laws have become powerful tools of economic, politic and social engineering forces.

It's painful for us diesel fans because up til relatively recently diesel has been getting a pass by the EPA. Now we're getting the heat and it hurts. The same thing happened way back when for the gas burners and the only real difference is the auto industry has had about 40 yrs or so of development to put together a system that can be strong, durable, clean, and get stellar fuel mileage. Stellar compared to those initial forays into pollution control systems. That and we've had about 40 yrs to forget that pain.

Last edited by Mikel; 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM.
                  1969 M715 6x6
                  1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• rockosocko
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 20, 2014

Whew..

So, what's the synopsis of the topic?
                    Looks to be the 4bt engine.

E

Comment

• scout4bta
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 26, 2018

You need to add the 4BT option!
                      1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

Working...
                      X