International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM

RC 3 inch lift require brake line / geometry changes?

As I have said before, my 90 GW is sufferin' from saggin' waggin. I had decided to prop it up and give it a small (2 inches) bit of lift. This is a DD, I don't want or need extensive lift and travel.

I noticed a mention of a Rough Country 3 inch lift in another thread, with shocks, for a reasonable price. Since I need new Shocks regardless, I am trending toward this direction.

Simple question, would the 3 inch lift from RC linked below require brake line extensions or drive shaft angle changes? I am not an accomplished wrencher, so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_fullsize_wagoneer.html
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Grease Monkey

I've got the Rough Country 3" lift on my GW, and here's my experience.

If you are suffering from sagging springs, make sure to get the full spring kit. The blocks are only 2" or so, and if you are sagging now, you will still be sagging afterwords. I actually have an add-a-leaf installed in the rear, with the blocks.

The E-brake lines are difficult to work around, but everything still fits The regular brake lines are fine.

Driveshaft angles are fine as well, but you may want to check/ replace/ at least grease your U-joints as if they are iffy, they will go out quickly anyway.

I had Skyjacker hydro shocks with that lift, and it did not ride well. I now have Bilstein 5125's and the ride is much nicer, off road is better than on road.

Here's a pic sitting mostly level. I'm running 31X10.5 Definity Dakota M/T's (pep boy's mud tires) on stock rims, with minor spring rubbing in front, and virtually no rubbing in rear (except on major flex)
Rough Country 3" front springs
Rough Country AAL/ block rear
Custom interior bicycle rack
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.carleynet.net/familypictures
www.sonic.net
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 AM

This place is great. Thanks for the detailed and immediate reply, Mack, with a picture to boot.

When I was looking earlier, I did not realize the RC base price was for a rear blocks set up. Now that I see the rear springs version (which I need) is closer in price to other options I am finding, I am a little hesitant (Not a bad price, just not the insane deal I thought I had found).
Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Grease Monkey

If you go with the rear add-a-leaf's from JC Whitney (which are cheap), and throw the blocks on there, it ends up with the rear just a tad higher than the front. You might want to try that, I'm still happy with the way it turned out The front springs are a little on the stiff side, but with the Bilstein's it's not bad at all. Oh, and with the Hydro shocks, I saw no need for a drop pitman arm, but now with the softer Bilstein's, the next thing I'm doing is installing a dropped arm. It sucks to drive a bumpy road/ freeway right now, as you are trying to keep it straight.

Good luck, it's easier I think to do the add-a-leaf & block combo as you don't have to remove the rear springs

Scott
www.sonic.net
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM

G
I did the 3" RC also. Ride is a little rough with factory shocks.
I would advise changing the brake lines. Its not a hard swap and you will be better off for it. This will let you change fluid as you do it also. I'm not gonna make a brand recommendation but there are vendors here to take care of you.
Drop Pitman arm was not required but after mild wheelin' it got changed.

My only other suggestion: use lots of anti-seize on the bolts, helps stop the squeekin'
Didn't have to change anything on driveshafts, but I did replace all u-joints. CYA
3" Rough Country lift & 31x10.50's, 3:54 gears
I Rebuilt the QuadraTrac! (now I know how it works)
NO EMISSIONS JUNK !!18 mpg best to date.
Huntin' rig supreme!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
incommando

My '80 came with a 3" RC all-spring lift already on it. The front hoses & the rear hose are extended braided deal. I am not sure if it was a "had" to, but the PO did got to extended hoses.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Jeep Polygamist

I ran the RC 3" with 0 mods to any lines or cables. Some trails at Tellico and all of them at URE.

The aal and blocks is still a cheap way to get a bit of lift and a decent ride. The extra leaf isn't much...$50 for the kit?

on 32" BFG muds and 8" wheels still a bit of sag, I didn't add the aal to the rear.

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepstress
"Go forth and be a tool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Wagoneer
This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
304 AMC

Mack_T .... how much did the Bilsteins change the ride? After DDing my J-10 all summer, I have developed a burning, passionate HATE for the Rough Country lift (I wish it were never made!). But I also think its the perfect height Im running Rancho 5000s right now, but if a really nice shock would soften them up considerably....

G_$, yeah if you have wag sag you will need the full kit. I have springs up front and blocks in the rear. The blocks are 4" tall and the truck sits almost perfectly level with only a slight rake.

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."
Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
304 AMC

One thing to note here is that we are talking about a 90's Wag. Very different than lifting a 70's cherokee. The Chero is already higher from the factory and the e-brake cables are completely different.

I did the RC lift a long time ago on my 85, back when it was stock. The brake lines worked Ok, but the e-brake cable had to be extended or moved. The rear driveshaft worked but the front one was iffy, just reached.

For a daily driver, I did not like the ride, much stiffer than factory springs. Last, the rear springs suffered from axle wrap sooner than I'd expect. They looked like W's after about 10k miles.

My 2 cents.

'79 Cherokee "The Sandgorgon"
One Tons, SOA,T18 on 40's

78 J10 "Imoteb"
J20 running gear and axles
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali
Mack_T .... how much did the Bilsteins change the ride? After DDing my J-10 all summer, I have developed a burning, passionate HATE for the Rough Country lift (I wish it were never made!). But I also think its the perfect height Im running Rancho 5000s right now, but if a really nice shock would soften them up considerably....

G_$, yeah if you have wag sag you will need the full kit. I have springs up front and blocks in the rear. The blocks are 4" tall and the truck sits almost perfectly level with only a slight rake.

Kali,

The ride is dramatically improved. Of course, you spend about $300 on 4 shocks, but in my mind it was totally worth it. The on road ride is only a little stiff now, but in need of the drop pitman arm now because of how much it does soak up bumps. Off road, the Bilstein's made a difference of like 10 mph or more on "caterpillar tracked" fire-road. They soak up the big holes much nicer as well, instead of "dropping in" and hitting the other side of a hole, they ease into & smoothly come out. At the moment, they are the best performing shocks I've used.

They look much better through the wheelwells too:

I'd say get them, even if you were planning on changing springs later on.

Scott
www.sonic.net
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
304 AMC

Cool, thanks. Im going to give them a shot. And if that doesnt work, look into removing the bottom leaf spring (been told it might help).

Check out my YouTube Channel !!
Check out my Instagram !!

2018 Grand Cherokee Upland

"The J-series Jeep pickups are simultaneously the ugliest and the most beautiful trucks ever made."
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Jeep Polygamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimeken
One thing to note here is that we are talking about a 90's Wag. Very different than lifting a 70's cherokee. The Chero is already higher from the factory and the e-brake cables are completely different.

Good point. However, this '78 looked like a low rider when I got it!

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepstress
"Go forth and be a tool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Wagoneer
This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.