• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khuang88gw
    232 I6
    • Oct 03, 2004

Rear Shoulder seat belt

Hi, I just bought an 88 GW with only 34.5k miles. I need to install rear shoulder belts for the kids. Can anyone give a precise location coordinates for the nut-serts so I don't make my headliner look like swiss cheese?

Also, any recommendations like the ones at

or
    www.Julianos.com

Lastly, do they include screws that fit the nut-serts.
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

Get a stock front retractor and the stock mounting bolts; they will work in the rear threaded hole in the top rail.

The upper hole is EXACTLY in-line with the roof crossmember that the rear dome light is screwed into, so just follow that over to the side of the roof and you'll have the coordinates. I would recommend dropping the rear headliner, however, to cut a hole for the roof, as there is no hole in the cardboard headliner for you to stick the bolt through. I cut an "X" where the hole is and folded the headliner back for the bolt to go through. You can see the rest of the details on my Grand Wagoneer page in the link in my sig below:
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Yep, that's where it is.
      Take down the rear section of headliner and check the position of the hole.
      They didn't exactly pay a whole lot of attention to detail when they slapped the supports up there.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• SBJeep
        350 Buick
        • Aug 14, 2003

There is a write up in the techinical library section of this site. It is in the interior section. It gives the exact location and is the way I found my anchors. I just used a punch, found the nut, and enlarged the hole until the bolt fit through.
        Tom - '90 GW(Gone)

Comment

• jeepguzzi
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Oct 21, 2000

Has anyone had the time and resources to try using a XJ seat belt back there?
          79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• FSJDreamin
            232 I6
            • Feb 05, 2002

I'm in the process of finishing mine up. I have the passenger side complete. That bolt is the same size and threading as the floor bolts. I believe it is a 7/16 fine thread bolt.

I bought the kit from Andover. I used the stock floor bolts in the overhead location because it allowed the pully mounted there to swivel better. I then used the bolts Andover supplied in the floor. There is a metal bracket at the end of the belt from Andover that mounts behind the seat. It has a slight bend in it, I straightened it in a vice and it works really well.

If you can find front belts from a GW, use that. The color from Andover didn't really match well; close but not exact. I couldn't find a donor. But since my front belts are in pretty crappy shape (aesthetically, not functionally), I'll probably replace them with a set from Andover to give a bit of symmetry. Plus, I'm having a set of custom seat covers made so I'll match those with the seat belts. Should all look pretty good.
            1988 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• khuang88gw
              232 I6
              • Oct 03, 2004

FSJDreamin, I called andover and they say they don't have a recommendation for Grand Wagoneers, only retractable lap belts.

Would you be able to list the part numbers you ordered?

Thanks to everyone for the help. The tech library article is very helpful.

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

I took mine out of an early 70's Buick Electra, worked fine, lots of belt material in them big old dudes, I used the front set.
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• FSJDreamin
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 05, 2002

Use the link above to Andover. Item C. WS26. I ordered WS26F with F being the tan color. I also ordered WS99F, which is the 12" buckle end. The 18" may work as well, depends on how much "buckle strap" you want sticking up. I like that the 12" came with the hard plastic sleeve. It's easier for my kids to use. Don't get the 9", it wouldn't long enough IMO. The retractable belts come with the mounting hardware. The whole thing cost me $155 including shipping. I'm sure boneyards are cheaper, but the quality is excellent.
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                  X