International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

360 EFI q's

In the near future I might be looking into getting another GW for use as a trail rig, carbs are great but I like EFI more when wheeling. So will the EFI components from the Mopar 360 in a ZJ swap over to the AMC 360? If so what are all the pieces I need?

If this won't work, is there a 'junkyard' or low cost EFI setup that works?

Thanks

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Mopar and AMC don't mix so thats a no go.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 PM

It all depends on how much you want to get into th TBI system. Turnkey system (Howell-efi.com) is about $1200 and it is literally bolt on. One weekend and you're TBI'd and happy. And poorer. <g>

You can also order JUST the harness from Howell, get junkyard parts and burn your own chips. And then you're almost at Howell's price, factoring in your chip burner, programmer, etc.

Or you can junkyard EVERYTHING and pull your hair out tracing wires, cleaning the harness, burning chips, etc.

I'd stay away from customefiguy, as I have heard horror stories of people WAITING AND WAITING for him to burn a new chip for them. With his system, you have to datalog and then send him the file and then he sends you another chip. If this sounds tedious, it is, and the problem many people have reported is that he takes FOREVER to return another chip. Also, his parts are ebay sourced and junkyard sourced, from what I hear. Howell uses reman'd TBI's and NEW injectors and NEW sensors.

Ya get whatchya pay for.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

AMC 360 != Mopar 360 != Ford 360 ...

Nothing of interest is the same.
Most do the GM based TBI from the 88 -> 95 GM trucks. Some do the Edelbrock setup. And some others roll their own setup from whatever they have.

Mike D
Old 05-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Always Broke

I use a Holley 'Analog' 2bbl fuel TBI on my 401. It bolts to the top of an Edelbrock Proformer no problem. Of the different types of FI systems this is the 'easiest' to tune but also the least tuneable. It is not the best FI from a performance standpoint (power, economy, torque curve) but it is simple and easy to install. You can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheap.

I think the 4bbl versions (and maybe the digital versions) might work better from a performance standpoint. The reasons I went with the 2bbl is because I already had another one that will eventually be my 'spare parts' source.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 05-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Master Mechanic

http://www.customefis.com/links.html

Toward the bottom, he links to several of his competitors...

87 Grand Wagoneer
2009 GMC 5.3L Vortec
Sterling 10.25 Rear
8 Lug J10 Front
TSM Mfg Rear Disk Brake Conversion
33 Gallon Rear Poly Tank

69 J-3000 Pickup

Plans:
2.8 Cummins Diesel Repower
6L90
Atlas Transfer Case
Old 05-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Beach Bum - moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy
It all depends on how much you want to get into th TBI system. Turnkey system (Howell-efi.com) is about $1200 and it is literally bolt on. One weekend and you're TBI'd and happy. And poorer. <g>

You can also order JUST the harness from Howell, get junkyard parts and burn your own chips. And then you're almost at Howell's price, factoring in your chip burner, programmer, etc.

Or you can junkyard EVERYTHING and pull your hair out tracing wires, cleaning the harness, burning chips, etc.

I'd stay away from customefiguy, as I have heard horror stories of people WAITING AND WAITING for him to burn a new chip for them. With his system, you have to datalog and then send him the file and then he sends you another chip. If this sounds tedious, it is, and the problem many people have reported is that he takes FOREVER to return another chip. Also, his parts are ebay sourced and junkyard sourced, from what I hear. Howell uses reman'd TBI's and NEW injectors and NEW sensors.

Ya get whatchya pay for.
Alot of "from what I hear" and " I heard".. Well you can hear this. I drive a Grand Wagoneer EVERYDAY with a system from custome efis. Thats not to say his customer service isnt lacking, but I trust my jeep to get me EVERYWHERE.
A junkyard tbi setup isnt NEARLY as hard as people make it out to be. If you can read a wiring diagram and use a voltmeter for continuity testing, its really quite simple.
Yes you are going to need to invest some time money and energy into it, but $1200 is highway robbery once you understand the basics of the TBI setup.
Any way you go you are most likely going to need chip re-programming (YES EVEN WITH the Howell Kits, which are overglorified JUNKYARD systems -LOL)
Im not bashing the Howell, if youve got money and no time to waste go for it. But for a trail rig you could most likely spend half of what they want and have a GREAT working knowledge of TBI EFI plus some chip programming skills!!!

I PMd you some more info to get you going in the RIGHT direction.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1s
I PMd you some more info to get you going in the RIGHT direction.

Chr1s, if you have info about junkyard TBI that you PM'd, I (and probably others too) would be interested to see it.

tia Tim
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 05-26-2006, 03:40 PM
350 Buick

Tgreese, I am in the middle of a junkyard TBI swap now. Assembling the parts was much easier than you think and once you finish you will have the ability to tune and fine tune your TBI like nobodies business. I feel that this is the best method as it takes the repair work out of the 3rd parties hands. Why wait for someone else to burn your chip and so fourth and so on when you can do it yourself? If you can hang on for about a week I should be posting a write up about it. (I will rush it as quickly as I can.) Below is a link to a guy who did the TBI install on the AMC 360. This is one of the best write ups out there. In fact the guy at Custome-efis Learned a lot of the things he learned by going to the sites that this guy links. If he can learn how to do it so can you. Give it a read before you make your final decision.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=474943

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel

Last edited by Wagoneerlover : 05-26-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Beach Bum - moderator

Yes, there is a WEALTH of diy TBI info out there, you could get lost for days with the just the tips and tricks alone!!

http://www.dynamicefi.com/ <~~~~~~~~ Thats were Im headed with the TBI on the Grand Wag (Thanks for the Link PB & ANTI-RICED)
Theres some mind blowing stuff (like electric fan control for example ) that can be done with that setup. Yes its a little pricey but, every ounce helps with tuning this old iron beast