International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-16-2019, 09:03 PM
230 Tornado

360 rebuild/intake EFI??

I've completely ripped down the AMC 360 and I'm putting it back together. I've upgraded the cam and springs. Also had the engine machined and will be replacing push rods, etc.

While I have the engine out I want to upgrade to EFI. I saw an edlebrock performer intake and EFI system, but it's not being sold yet. I'm tempted to purchase the Holley sniper EFI system with the upgraded distributor and a performer intake from edlebrock.

Does anyone know when the edlebrock performer intake/EFI system will be for sale?

What suggestions do y'all have when switching to the Holley sniper?

Any other options out there?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:39 PM
230 Tornado

Cant speak to the Holley setup, but I just put Fitech on mine and have been pretty happy with it for the 600 or so miles I've put on it. I ended up going with an in-tank pump running through a slightly modified factory sending unit. I bought the kit with the external frame mounted pump but quickly discovered that the Wagoneer with it's long fuel tank doesn't have enough realestate along the frame for an external pump. A word of cation with any EFI setup: I think it would be a good idea to get a fuel tank specifically designed with internal baffling for fuel injection. If I brake really hard on level ground or go down steep grades with about 1/4 tank or less, the fuel pump can get starved for fuel as all the gas sloshes away from the pump due to the tanks lack of internal baffles.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Administrator

I am literally a step ahead of you on this. Just did it.

Don't go to EFI until your cam is broken in! Get your new engine in, break in the cam, THEN go to EFI. If your engine is not running great for cam break in you can torch your motor right off the bat. It really sucks trying to work out EFI bugs on a motor that is not ready yet.

Full Size Jeeper did EFI install during engine build with success (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=183237) and honestly he would probably disagree with me but this is one of the biggest lessons learned in my build (link in my signature). Full Size Jeeper had some help from folks that have used/tuned a Sniper in the past. SC/397 does carb before EFI too and you would be hard pressed to find someone on this forum that thinks SC/397's advice/work is not top notch. (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=186633).

There are quite a few Throttle Body Injection systems out there. Summit has like 10 of them, alone. None are tailored to AMC V8 but almost all will work fine. Howell has a system tailored to AMC V8 that is basically a re-packaged, and tuned GM system. All these systems have pros and cons. The ones you see the most on this forum are FiTech, Sniper, Howell, and DIY systems like mine or Megasquirt. Again, pros and cons to each so you can't really say one is better than the other.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring