• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruduf
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 04, 2017

Efi and the vacuum hoses

I have a very nice 1984 J10 it runs pretty well but it has a small skip at idle the air pump was removed along with some of the plumbing still has lots of vacuum lines and original carburetor I was wondering if a new holly EFI setup would eliminate all the vacuum lines and make it run a little better. I do not have to deal with emissions in my state. Also thinking maybe a eddlebrok manifold and carb to get rid of the mess any help would be great thanks
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

You could do either, but I?m partial to FI.
    Holley just released a 2bbl version of sniper, perfect for one of these IMHO.
    Only a couple vacuum lines remain w/ FI conversions.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• spduffee
      232 I6
      • Jul 20, 2017

Originally posted by babywag
      You could do either, but I?m partial to FI.
      Holley just released a 2bbl version of sniper, perfect for one of these IMHO.
      Only a couple vacuum lines remain w/ FI conversions.
      I am 'this close' to getting an FI Tech system. Just need a few more dollars saved. I was wondering the same as Bruduf; just how many vacuum lines are left over after the swap? Just imagining all those vacuum lines disappearing gets me excited....

Comment

• acct21
        327 Rambler
        • May 20, 2014

Depends on your year model. You'll certainly lose some; depending on how you want to set it up you can actually delete most. But you'll always have some.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by acct21
          Depends on your year model. You'll certainly lose some; depending on how you want to set it up you can actually delete most. But you'll always have some.
          EXACTLY. If you have a QTrack, you need vacuum to switch to E-Drive. If you buy a FI system that does not control timing, you will need vacuum to the dizzy. Some Cruise controls used vacuum. The heater motors under the dash use vacuum. You will probably want to maintain your charcoal canister (if you have one) and that requires vacuum. I assume you will want to dump your EGR if you get an Edelbroke intake and that will remove one system.

In the grand scheme of things, FSJs use ALOT of vacuum. You can dump some, but you may have to keep some depending on year and options.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

Howell has an example for the vacuum diagram on their site. Look here https://howellefi.com/wp-content/upl...9-05update.pdf It is meant to be used with the CARB-approved form of their EFI kit. You will still need vacuum for the mechanical stuff, like heater controls and any shifters.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
            X