78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Pulled the rest of my interior just to get it out of the way. If anyone was envious or jealous of what I said about the mostly rust free Wagoneer I have, no need for that. Floor pans have small rust holes on both sides. Not as bad as many I have seen, but still needs to be addressed. Also the lip that the door rubber pushes onto on the passenger side at the bottom is mostly gone. Not sure of the plan of action just yet, but the list is growing. will finish the cowl area before getting into the floor rust.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Pulled the engine out today so I can get to the firewall.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

Had to take a peek inside.
        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Welded the new piece onto the bottom of the drivers side cowl.
          Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 07-27-2017, 06:56 AM.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Pulled the wiring harness, blower motor, and heater core so I can clean the fire wall for primer and paint. I really did not think I was going to get this deep into it, but if I want to slow down the rust, it has to be done.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

I did not think I was going to go this far, but I was only fifteen or twenty fasteners away from pulling the frame so why not. Need to pick up some jacks and blocks from my uncle tomorrow to get the back a bit higher. Should be able to pull the frame out Sunday if all goes well.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Going to pressure wash the frame, POR 15 it and top coat it. Then put the frame back under it. Also need to replace some u-joints and check the brakes,this might take awhile.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Had a lot of loose paint and undercoating on the frame. Scraped and sanded it then wiped it down with alcohol, used the recommended metal prep next. Washed the prep off after it reacted for thirty minutes and waited for it to dry. Only did the passenger side, hope to finished the driver side Saturday.
                  Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 07-27-2017, 05:23 PM.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

Rain,rain, and more rain. Tropical Storm Cindy is dumping lots of rain on us for a few days so the frame top coat is on hold for now. Did pick out a top coat for the frame from NAPA. A friend of mine used it and liked the results. It is kind of what you would see from the factory, which is what I wanted.
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Pulled the front axles to replace u-joints and a few other things. Waiting on a few parts from BJ's. Cleaned up and primed the housing.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Decided to top coat the frame because the POR15 I used has no UV protection in it, and it will get a white haze over time. Sanded it with 320 and hit it with two coats of chassis black from NAPA. Very happy with it. Came out nice.
                          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

Replaced u-joints and replaced some other parts on the front axle.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

Built a body cart so I can wheel it in and out of the barn. Also wanted it safe when we start cutting out the floor pans.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X