International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
1982 Cherokee Headlight Question

Hey Guys,

Probably to dumb question, but my Cherokee has round holes in that look like they were meant for round headlights, but they sit behind the grill and to the inside of the currently square headlights. Can I use them to mount an additional pair of headlights? Also the driver side seems to have something mounted in this space, any ideas on what that may be. Thanks for the info!




Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 AM
TestTeam's Avatar
TestTeam TestTeam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2007
Location: Belluno, Italy
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings06
Hey Guys,

Also the driver side seems to have something mounted in this space, any ideas on what that may be. Thanks for the info!


should be the horns
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
That sounds easy enough to move, any idea if these were intended for headlights? I don't see any other reason for them...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM
goldhammer's Avatar
goldhammer goldhammer is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2004
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 5,007
Goes back to the original Rhino grille setup as far as I know, That would be where the "pie pans" were. I suspect they originally planned for optional driving lights and never got there with them.
__________________
Art
ASE Master Collision Tech
"Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM
mdill's Avatar
mdill mdill is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2000
Location: Richfield MN
Posts: 7,076
Rumor has it that there were/are some rigs (not many) with Jeep factory light sets in the pie-plate holes. Apparently it was not a popular option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhammer
Goes back to the original Rhino grille setup as far as I know, That would be where the "pie pans" were. I suspect they originally planned for optional driving lights and never got there with them.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
And the other stuff that gets driven
----------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
Interesting, thanks for the info. Might as well take advantage of it since it's there
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Tinkerjeep's Avatar
Tinkerjeep Tinkerjeep is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Redneck-populated Flyover Country, USA
Posts: 3,662
Any Kaiser M715/720 Military turck uses those holes for turn signals.

Currently I have driving lights mounted there on one truck, and air intakes on the other. Easy t do when you don't have all the extra stuff the later model Wags had mounted there.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM
Zorm's Avatar
Zorm Zorm is offline
304 AMC
 
Join Date: Apr 08, 1997
Location: Pensacola, Fl.
Posts: 1,914
If I could find another muscle grill, my thought was to cut the grill in front of those areas (make it a round cut) and toss some KC lights in that area, just a thought though.
__________________
83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles)
4" lift, 351w in the works
78 Cherokee Chief 304

07 Sea Ray 205

71 F-250 Camper Special 390



HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
Thanks for the responses guys, I think the lights are a good idea just now sure if I'm ready to cut the grill. I think I will mount some lights and see how they look and go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:25 PM
serehill's Avatar
serehill serehill is offline
Gone,Never Forgotten.
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Mesquite Texas
Posts: 8,622
do a Rhino


http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...uad+headlights
__________________

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2014, 02:20 PM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
Serehill, love it. Your jeep looks awesome. Mind if I ask where you bought, and how easy/difficult was the install?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2014, 03:58 PM
serehill's Avatar
serehill serehill is offline
Gone,Never Forgotten.
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Mesquite Texas
Posts: 8,622
That set up is easy

I bought some 4" lights & with brackets went to the hardware store & bought some 90 degree brackets & mounted them & had a guy build the plates. MIB in the home grown section makes the plates & has several choices of finish. You can also find early model Mid 60's head light on cars with quad headlight & bolt them in. I make a custom harness for that. They look like the ones in the link right below my picture. I have also put KC day lighters in the hole that work OK with a little trimming. You can also put early 90's Camaro square headlight in there too with a little work. Lots of choices. I have a friend with a J10 that has some 9 " ones in the pie plate hole & they are awesome.

Bought my light at auto zone.
Mine are like these but blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-HALO-WHITE-4-12V-H3-55W-ROUND-FOG-LIGHTS-DRIVING-LAMPS-HARNESS-KIT-/111356918840?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item19ed63bc38&vxp=mtr


These are like the ones in the link you can find trims for them but they are rare. Buy 4 sell 2 lots of interest.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-60-65-72-Original-5-3-4-GM-Head-Light-Buckets-and-Rings-Original-GM-Parts-T3-/321460519030?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item4ad88a4076&vxp=mtr
__________________

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 07-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2014, 04:42 PM
goldhammer's Avatar
goldhammer goldhammer is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2004
Location: Willamette Valley, OR
Posts: 5,007
Now starting to get LED's in smaller sizes, and maybe some of the round ATV/Quad versions might work, depending on output.
__________________
Art
ASE Master Collision Tech
"Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 PM
eaglejeeper eaglejeeper is offline
232 I6
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 92
AMC JEEPS do not change much

From an old Jeeper, AMC did not change hardly anything on their Jeep
line since the got Jeep in 1970. This stamped piece, I believe, is the same
in 1970 as it was the last year of 1988. AMC just did not have the money
to make a lot of changes and that is why pretty much all J10s and Cherokees
look the same from 1970's to 1980's. This inner sheet metal member you are discussing, has the original round openings for the early J10s/Cherokees with round headlites and grilles. I believe if you compare the parts breakdown of a 1974 and a 1984 you will see this piece is the same. AMC was a poor company and just did not have the money and that is why JEEP stands for:
Just
Everyone
Elses
Parts
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 AM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
Thanks for the links, definitely some possibilities, I don't mind doing a little fabricating. LEDs would be nice too. Did your rhino grill come like that, and how hard was that install did it just bolt on? Also who did you buy from?


Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
I bought some 4" lights & with brackets went to the hardware store & bought some 90 degree brackets & mounted them & had a guy build the plates. MIB in the home grown section makes the plates & has several choices of finish. You can also find early model Mid 60's head light on cars with quad headlight & bolt them in. I make a custom harness for that. They look like the ones in the link right below my picture. I have also put KC day lighters in the hole that work OK with a little trimming. You can also put early 90's Camaro square headlight in there too with a little work. Lots of choices. I have a friend with a J10 that has some 9 " ones in the pie plate hole & they are awesome.

Bought my light at auto zone.
Mine are like these but blue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-HALO-WHITE-4-12V-H3-55W-ROUND-FOG-LIGHTS-DRIVING-LAMPS-HARNESS-KIT-/111356918840?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item19ed63bc38&vxp=mtr


These are like the ones in the link you can find trims for them but they are rare. Buy 4 sell 2 lots of interest.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-60-65-72-Original-5-3-4-GM-Head-Light-Buckets-and-Rings-Original-GM-Parts-T3-/321460519030?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item4ad88a4076&vxp=mtr
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Tinkerjeep's Avatar
Tinkerjeep Tinkerjeep is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Redneck-populated Flyover Country, USA
Posts: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejeeper
From an old Jeeper, AMC did not change hardly anything on their Jeep
line since the got Jeep in 1970. This stamped piece, I believe, is the same
in 1970 as it was the last year of 1988. AMC just did not have the money
to make a lot of changes and that is why pretty much all J10s and Cherokees
look the same from 1970's to 1980's. This inner sheet metal member you are discussing, has the original round openings for the early J10s/Cherokees with round headlites and grilles. I believe if you compare the parts breakdown of a 1974 and a 1984 you will see this piece is the same. AMC was a poor company and just did not have the money and that is why JEEP stands for:
Just
Everyone
Elses
Parts


Essentially it is the same, but there are slight differences from the 1962 to 1970 valence/face panel when compared to the 1970-1978 piece. And then more drastic changes from 1979 to the end of the run. I'll link a Rhino conversion topic here with pics I've taken showing the differences.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171004
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 PM
redwings06 redwings06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 14, 2006
Posts: 66
That write-up is helpful thanks
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM
serehill's Avatar
serehill serehill is offline
Gone,Never Forgotten.
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Mesquite Texas
Posts: 8,622
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings06
Thanks for the links, definitely some possibilities, I don't mind doing a little fabricating. LEDs would be nice too. Did your rhino grill come like that, and how hard was that install did it just bolt on? Also who did you buy from?


All of my trim is powdercoated. Install is simple. I bought the grille from a member. I had very little work to put it on. Mine is the 80 header panel & I didn't fix any of the problems so to speak. I did grind the mount off. if done carefully they are about a 10 hour job. it wasn't that big of a deal.
__________________

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 07-17-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strode 1982 Cherokee Laredo Build Strode Build Threads 692 03-07-2018 11:39 AM
1974 Cherokee Question ldonde General FSJ Discussion 15 09-06-2012 02:05 PM
Bent Axle :( , need help with spec's mdill General FSJ Tech 6 05-25-2010 05:08 PM
Pic of my "new" Cherokee. Where should I start? and QT question Wanderer General FSJ Tech 2 01-03-2008 09:04 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner