International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Transfer case/ Quatra-Track question

first of i have a 1975 chief cherokee. A warner Quatra Track Transfer case with manual locks on the front wheels. I am not too familiar with it so please excuse me beeing so uninformed. I am breaking in my newly rebuild engine and encounter some noise at about 3000 RPM in drive. Engines revs without any problems past 3000 in neutral gear. So my thoughts go to the drive shaft and transfer case chain. I am not shure how much play there can be on the rear drive shaft U-joint but there is a little play. On the transfer case chain there is substantial play,more than half of an inch which after reading some of the Threads means replacement. Thats actually exiting, so i have reason to dig into the Transfer case.
The question is what do i need to replace. Do i want to buy a 16% reduction unit from bjsoffroad or else. Also what does the vacuum deal do on my jeep, having manual locks up front. Cant really think it through. What is the right oil level. Is it the transver case fill hole plug or Reduction Unit Fill hole plug. When i fill in the oil through reduction unit it flows into the transfer case. Hope thats right. Anyway, this is such a great site with all that info and fellow jeepers. Thanks

Last edited by 1975chief : 09-13-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
out of order

Welcome, you sound like someone I spoke to on the phone?

u-joints should not have any play in them.

I'd avoid the 16% unit like the plaque! ....others may disagree?

A member here has an excellent QT info site, http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm

If you have lockouts on the front already, there is a chance it could already have a milemarker conv. in it.
Did it have ATF in the case when you checked it?

If it's working good, I'd just replace the chain. If not, I have 2 of them collecting dust I'll sell CHEAP!
(As in cheaper than buying a chain)
Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Rabble Rouser

Unless you find paperwork or a tag saying if its a 1:1 part time, or an OD one..don't buy anything besides a seal kit until you have it opened up. The chains are different between the two. Odds are if you have hubs on QT fsj, it has one or the other, but you need to verify it.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 09-14-2008, 01:17 AM

if your jeep has the original quadratrac internals and you have locking hubs, you should always (normal on road driving) keep the selector in emergency drive and the hubs should be left in free or two wheel because the gears in you t case will wear out in no time due to constantly trying to match torque and speed. quadratrac is full time four wheel drive as I'm sure you're aware and when it senses slippage on one side it tries to shift the torque to the opposite side. if you run it with the vaccum switch in emergency, then you have effectively eliminated the differential action, keeping it locked one to one.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Noob!

Wouldn't leaving the hubs unlocked mess up front axle free spinning due to the full time quad? Front driveshaft keeps spinning either way doesn't it?
Old 10-31-2015, 10:25 PM

If the hubs are unlocked and tcase is in 2wd, then the front shaft may pick up a little spin from friction, but that's it. You can pull the front shaft if the tcase is in 2wd. (PS: The Borg Warner QT they are talking about in this ancient thread is '73-'79 automatic only)