International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-03-2007, 04:29 AM
232 I6

Jeep likes the driveway, just not the road

I have a 79 jtruck with the 360 and a Holley 4BBL on it. I get ready to drive it home and crank it up. Cranks fine, idles fine. I start out the road and get about half a mile and it sputters and dies. I pull off the road and try to crank it again. Cranks fine. Take off again and get about another half a mile and it does it again. I suspected that the electric fuel pump I had on it wasn't keeping up with the carb. So After I get it to my house, I went and bought a mechanical pump and put it on. Sitting there idling it does fine, holding the throttle open it does fine, driving it out the road is another story. I get it out on the road and when it gets going, it sputters and dies. I have checked the fuel system and it's good. The timing could be a degree or two off, but it shouldn't rev up though right? Maybe the floats in the carb? I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

79 FS J10 with 5.3 swap, S465 and 205. Sitting on a HD44/14 bolt and 37's. This thing should be fun to drive if I ever get it finished.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:51 AM

Mine did the same thing. It turned out to be the fuel filter. When I would drive down the road the filter would clog up because of the bumps jaring the sediment around. Parked it ran like a dream because it had settled. Do you have a pressure reg, fuel pressure guage, or a return line? What kind of electric pump? What CFM Carb? Anymore more info can help.

Peace Gary
Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Weak pump or fuel restriction would be my guess too. If it only stumbles on acceleration the vacuum advance may not be working but it shouldn't stall the motor.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

When I did my fuel pump it was doing the exact same thing you describe as there was a kinked line after I put it back in the Jeep, made for a LONG ride home from work

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
232 I6

I have the 650 Holley, with a return line on the fuel filter. I have blown air back through the lines to the tank, so I know they aren't clogged up. I pulled the pickup out of the tank and cleaned them, make sure the bottom of the tank wasn't dirty either. I haven't checked the fuel filter to be honest, however it isn't that old, and I know that alot of gas hasn't been through it, since the jeep hasn't been run that much in the last 6 months, other than out of a gas jug. And for some reason the vacuum advance is on manifold vacuum. I don't know why this was done but the guy who put the motor in it, said it was the pickiest motor he has ever dealt with when it come to timing it. Maybe that is some inkling to why it won't run, but it ran like that before it was parked though. And ran really well at that.

79 FS J10 with 5.3 swap, S465 and 205. Sitting on a HD44/14 bolt and 37's. This thing should be fun to drive if I ever get it finished.