International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > Ouray FSJ Invasion

Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Master Mechanic

trails I'd like to do this year

I'd like to do Minnie and Maggie, (might do on Tuesday as fambly wants to check out Silverton),
make it to the Buffalo Boy and maybe a re-do of Stony,
take the road from Hurricane/American (don't remember which pass but there's only the one road) that goes towards Silverton instead of Corkscrew,
hit Govenor's again and hike to the top mine, maybe Yankee afterwards,
Also like to do Imogene to check out the mines along the way, but maybe not over if Jenni doesn't want to,
rest is open.

Ralph
Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 AM

If I make it I want to do Engineers pass I did part of it back in 1976 in a 64, 2 wheel drive F100 and would like to see A. where we got to and B. do the whole trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Rabble Rouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Rogers
take the road from Hurricane/American (don't remember which pass but there's only the one road) that goes towards Silverton instead of Corkscrew,
hit Govenor's again and hike to the top mine, maybe Yankee... afterwards,

sounds nice! That top mine being the one we drove past in the back scree field of Governers? I'd like to hit that maybe the 2nd day and do an overnight at that clearing we saw before looping down to the entrance of governers. Any idea who's in charge of that area? BLM land maybe?
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Master Mechanic

The mine in the basin that we stopped below where that stream was coming down from. We passed just under it when you enter the basin. Virginius I believe is what it is called. Also the one on top in the center of the basin.
That scree field was cool, but I wouldn't want to hike to that mine through it. I believe that area is called Sydney basin??

As far as I can tell it's on forest land, unless it's patented. But I saw no signs that it was. The only topo's I've seen of that area were from 1955.
That would be a cool spot to camp.
Ralph
Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Gear Head

I would like to do Imogene and Black Bear (I think, it still seems a little scary though) and Poughkeepsie, Governor's and Yankee Boy would be good too. Bryan is supposed to contact someone from Creeper Jeepers to see if anyone wants to come out and run Black Bear with us. They nominated Black Bear for the BF Goodrich outstanding trails program and were selected last year... long story but our club is doing the same thing this year in Missouri, so we'd like to see what Creeper Jeepers did, etc. Also, Poughkeepsie was selected as an Outstanding Trail this year, not sure which club is associated with that nomination though. Anybody have a day in mind for the Imogene/ Black Bear trip? I think Wednesday might be good, right at the beginning before everyone is really tired. I guess Flint is talking about doing Ophir Tuesday on the way in, and we will probably be tagging along. I think it was Flint who also mentioned doing Engineers and Cinnamon Pass in a loop? I guess we should try to get up and out a little earlier this year....
Here's what I think I want to do:
Tuesday- Ophir, possibly something else depending on time
Wednesday- Imogene/Black Bear
Thursday and Friday- Some combination of Poughkeepsie, Cinnamon and Engineers, Yankee Boy and Governors

Project CHOP TOP Tornado Jeep for Ouray 2013
(I'm not dead yet!)

Last edited by RiverRat : 05-24-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Master Mechanic

Ryan, when are you going to be in there? I'll be at KOA on Sunday.
Ralph
Old 05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Rabble Rouser

Quote:
The mine in the basin that we stopped below where that stream was coming down from. We passed just under it when you enter the basin. Virginius I believe is what it is called. Also the one on top in the center of the basin.
That scree field was cool, but I wouldn't want to hike to that mine through it. I believe that area is called Sydney basin??

As far as I can tell it's on forest land, unless it's patented. But I saw no signs that it was. The only topo's I've seen of that area were from 1955.
That would be a cool spot to camp.
Ralph

Oh okay, yeah I was thinking about the one in Sydney. That muddy baby jeep trail going up to it looks interesting..hopefully its still there. Not sure when I'm going up, prolly meet up at Flint and Kristas the day before leaving for Hooray and checking out the local runs near them, and follow everyone to the KOA. depends on gas $$ of course.

And yeah, I'm just gana camp there, and if a ranger shows up mad, I guess leave But I'd like to check with the ranger station in town and get a permit or whatever if applicable.

I know this year since I'm driving m'self, I'd like to take alot more time to stop and poke around. Third year, seen a buncha trails already, time to get pokey.

Beth: Yzergod (username) here on the board is the Prez of Creepers Jeepers, you can just send him a PM. They are going to be up on BlackBear during the weekend I think doing trail maint.

oh, and I want to conquer Corkscrew lockerless to see if I can do it, at some point.
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

just a reminder, if going UP Poughkeepsie, at least 1 vehicle should have a
locked diff and be the first jeep over the rock section to tug the non-locked jeeps over if necessary. Last year was the first time I did not make it over it without help.
Coming down from the intersection of Hurricane/California trails above Lake Como to the rock can be done without a locker easy enuf but the dirt section that avoids the rock is getting torn up more each yr.

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart
Old 05-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

ryan- the only trail a locker might/should be needed is the rock on PKeepsie, have run every trail up there without one.

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Rabble Rouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbackdragon
ryan- the only trail a locker might/should be needed is the rock on PKeepsie, have run every trail up there without one.

Is it needed for steepness, or is it loose rock?
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Master Mechanic

Wanna take time to look around a little more this year myself. Bypassed a lot of cool looking places the last two years. I'm in like Flint. Errrr, not Flint - but Flint, errrrr, just colour me cool man.

I've also done all the trails the last two year open, including that icky trail in Sydney basin. Although I haven't gone over the rock at Poughkeepsie...yet.
Ralph
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

two sections of the rock (in lousy pix below w/kids bronco) right side there are a couple rocks which can hang you up if not lifted and a bit steep for a short bit, believe that is where Jamie broke his spring.
Center section (where bronco is) is torn up more where rocks come together and is somewhat washed out at the bottom of the rock so trying to climb up the rock on the left side your tires go into the washout, bumper hits dirt/rocks and you loose momentum and traction, so locker there is almost needed. Have climbed both in the crack (where I scratched Draco last yr) and just to the left up the rock before with no problems all the yrs we've gone there before, heck even did it with our 86 Bronco II yrs ago, but alas its been torn up more each yr. Even did the section to the right before w/o locker but time has taken its toll on it too.

the dirt section to the left of the rock is not easy to get up, even way back when it first was created, it now it almost 2-4 ft. deeper than this old photo. Coming down is fun and still a challenge as it rocks you side to side, have to avoid a big rock or two and hard braking will make you slide.

other than that its easy!

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)

Last edited by flatbackdragon : 11-08-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
Is it needed for steepness, or is it loose rock?

Yes and Yes. All that sure, not to mention standing carburators up on thier sides at around 12,000 feet.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Master Mechanic

I think Poughkeepsie is calling my name!!! Sounds like the Exploder is all set: 33s, Lock Right in the rear, EFI.

I've talked a bit to yzergod about the trip. I was planning on contacting him closer to the event to set up a run over Black Bear with him.

Anyone know what club is associated with Poughkeepsie this year?
1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Always Broke

Kenny and I did black bear last year. It is a great trail with great views and some great spots to stop. (Did I mention it is great). It is not technically challenging and the only 'tricky' part is the switchbacks. There you just have to be careful and try to do you multi point turns without hangin your butt end over the side.

I would suggest a less intense trail on Wednesday, kind of a shake out trial run. With 20+ FSJ joining there are bound to be some problems that may crop up with some trucks. Black Bear is not a good place to find out your brakes are giving you troubles or that your carb stalls going downhill at higher altitiudes.
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Master Mechanic

20+ FSJ's on a single run would be a disaster, ecologically that is.
I think we should break it up to smaller groups and do different runs on different days.
Ralph
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

Imogene

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 05-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
I think we should break it up to smaller groups and do different runs on different days.
Yes, more than 10 or 12 in a group and you are challenging some scientific laws I very vaguely understand.

For those who would like to ride something low on the challenge list the first day (Wednesday), may we recommend Minnie and Maggie Gulch. If you have vapor lock potential, it will show up there and the trail is pretty much 2 track all the way up. The alpine meadows up there are pretty sweet too.

on another note: We have had more precipitation this Spring than since I have been here 6 years, Krista 8. Good chance we will have abundant flower bloomage.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Last edited by fulsizjeep : 05-26-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Always Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep

on another note: We have had more precipitation this Spring than since I have been here 6 years, Krista 8. Good chance we will have abundant flower bloomage.

That's great! I thought the flowers were abundant last year, you mean it can get better????
82 Cherokee WT – SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Master Mechanic

It would be nice for us out-of-staters if maybe a few of the Colorado folk could put a rough schedule together.

Such as:

Tuesday: Trail: xyz
Leaving at approximate time: 0600
Meeting at: Flint's Site

Trail: abc
Leaving at approximate time: 0700
Meeting at site: 46A or someplace in town.

and so on for the rest of the week, then trail planning would be a little more organized and folks could plan on which trails they would like to do. I missed Yankee Boy last year, don't know where I was, but I missed it.

Just a suggestion.
Thanks for all the planning that already goes into this.
Pam