International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Master Mechanic

Surprised by Holley folks

OK, got this new '88 Wag last month and it needed a new carb.
So I go out and buy a new Holley 4412C.
Last week the wife gets stranded at work from a stuck float. Seemed odd to me. So I rap on the bowl, that unsticks the float, and drive it home.
I take off the bowl the next day and the metering block coating, anodizing, whatever it is, is all cracked and peeling off.
So I call Holley and they told me they no about the problem. Seems there was too much lead in a batch of carbs. Good ole' Arizona special blend gas is eating it up (so does that make the gas leaded now ).

Now the amazing thing is they are sending me a new carb on my word over the phone. I don't send them the receipt, warranty card (which I never send in), nor the old carb. When the new carb gets here I send them the old one back.
Now I realize they are doing some serious damage control here, and can probably cover the costs easily, if it wasn't too many carbs, but in this day and age I thought for sure they'd at least want the old carb and receipt back first. Or DNA or something.
Impressed me anyhow.
Ralph
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Good to know they are standing behind their warranty and not running from it.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

It's not that well known but some holley's came out of the factory with defective plating. I made darn sure I checked the date code on mine before I forked over the money. Date codes affected are 3345-3655 and 0016-1986. The first three digits are the day of the year and the last is the year. So, 3345 is the 334th day of 2005. Here's a link to a thread with a little more info. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1455245

Greg

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Master Mechanic

Yup, that's the problem. Same as the thread sent.
Guess it didn't just affect the Avanger stuff as mine is a regular 4412C. Figures I'd get one of the bad ones. The 4412C and TA on my other Wags are fine.
Good info.
Thanks
Ralph
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Master Mechanic

Holley customer service - similar experience

When I got the "version 1" Truck Avenger, I heard about the problems other people were having with it so I called Holley. Just as you experienced, without asking for the receipt they sent me a new carb. I just sent the old one in when the new one arrived.

Damage control or not, they stood by it and even made it easy for me, something you don't find much nowadays.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

I don't know if I want to stay carb'd yet or not, but darn sure if I do it will be a Holley for me.

Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

That's southern Kentucky hospitality for ya. BTW, if you drive by their plant, they aren't nearly as big as you would have thunk.
IFSJA Member #18
RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool