International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 07-19-2001, 02:07 AM

The air injection manifold on the right side of my 360 has a one inch hole in it. Currently the engine is stock except for a recent TFI upgrade and all the requisite smog equipment. Is this something that I need to replace or can I remove them from both sides. The burn through on the right side just started to melt that coil sheathing that wraps around a bundle of wires. Fortunately I caught this in time to prevent a melt down. Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-19-2001, 03:08 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I would replace it and keep your emission equipment intact. The manifold is available from sources other that the dealer.

Kerry
87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...
Old 07-19-2001, 03:12 AM
Gear Head

ALL of my emissions stuff is gone via the PO.
The air injection rails have beem plugged or welded over.
No emission check-no worry.
fas2c
EL MENO<br />1974 Wagoneer<br />360-THM 400w/QT<br />Elderbrock intake-Non ERG w/ Q-Jet<br />Elderbrock double roller timing chain<br />31-10.5\'s<br />3\" Body Lift<br />4\" BDS Springs(yet to be installed)<br />135,000 miles<br />Soon to have:<br />New Mud Grips
Old 07-19-2001, 04:31 AM

Definetly repair it if you are ever going to have to pass an emissions test. I just replaced mine for $62 from the dealer. Not to bad on cost just be very carefull getting the hollow bolts out of the exhaust manafold. They are very brittle. If you are having trouble read some threads on the web site regarding broken bolts.
Chris<BR>88 GW <BR>Stock except for:<BR>TFI with a MSD6<P>93 YJ<BR>2.5 suspension lift and 33\" BFG MTs<BR>RS9000 in cab remote<BR>Ramsey REP8000<BR>Custom storage and bumbers plumbed for air<BR>Lot-o-lights and Optima<BR>K&N
Old 07-19-2001, 03:52 PM
Jeep Doctor

There are really only two (good) options here:

* Replace the tube (Standard and HELP! make replacement tubes for our FSJ's, as well as the dealer; it's about $35 through the aftermarket).

* Remove the entire AIR system, and plug the AIR fittings in the exhaust manifolds. If you don't, then the unused system will corrode, sieze up and have to be removed anyway.

If you will EVER have to get the truck inspected for emissions, or sell it to somebody who will, then go with the first route.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:34 PM
Third Member

You might give Jeff Kennedy a call at (614) 879-7283 when he gets back next week. He's in Houston this weekend for the 2001 AMC Nationals.

Anyway, I gave him my manifolds and AIR tubes after I installed the Edelbrock headers. So it might be cheaper than dealer cost for new stuff. Also, if you're not in a big hurry, figure out a way to cap off the leak you now have and keep and eye on eBay. They come up now and then.