International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-04-2003, 03:44 AM

After taking apart my new rear Axel project I have discovered that the rear breaks are Shot. And by shot I mean really ugly. I need new EVERYTHING. I think the only good piece I can save is going to be the backing plate.
Where is the best place to get all the parts i need all at once. Is there a place on line that I can order everything from, or should I go to the parts store with my old breaks (they are off the axel) and just tell the counter guy that I need two of everything. What I really want is a one-stop shop. If I can order a kit from somewhere and it will cost more than parting it, that would be worth it to me. I don't want to be running around chasing parts.

I have thought about disk conversion, and I think that is just a little too much money to spend right now. Maybe later on down the road... But for now I am going to stick with the Drums.

One more quick question. When putting breaks back together, do you have to feed the E break cable through the backing plate. So when I put the breaks back together, should I put the E brake cable on. Or does the E break feed through the back after the breaks are together?

Does anyone have a good web sight with a break overhall write up on it?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

iirc a good autoparts store will have everything you need. the wags use gm brakes.i would mt the e-brake cable 1st.after making sure that it is free in its housing. were the shoes greasy from a leak? are the wheel cylinders weeping? how are the drums? did you strip both sides down to the bking plates? i hope youve got a good picture, cause the rear brakes are a PITA to do unless youve done lots of them. all those little widgets gotta fit just so, or youll never get the drum back on. i do one side at a time and use the other for a reference. by the time im done, ill bet ive made the trip to other side at least a dozen times
Old 02-04-2003, 04:32 AM

Yeah they were pretty bad. When I took the actual drums off I found a hole in one of them. An actual hole. And it looks like the axel was leaking fluid into the drums too, because everything is just covered in sludge. All of the springs are shot, And there is rust everywhere.

Since I am working on this axel in the workshop and not on the Truck I took them right off. So I have each side right next to each other. (I won't have to walk to the other side) And NO I only took one side apart to get a parts list. The other side will stay in tact until side one is finished, that way I will have somthing to look at for both sides.
I would not want to have to start from scratch on those drums.