International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 06:08 AM
232 I6

So what are your plans ....repair, sell or part out?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:34 AM
350 Buick

I hope the jeep destroyed the car you hit.

did it ?

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 12-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Long time member

bad day

Sorry and I do not no what to say about this . But you and the little one are all right that's all that counts .
1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty
Old 12-12-2019, 10:23 AM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661warwagon
So what are your plans ....repair, sell or part out?
No idea yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLSAKS
I hope the jeep destroyed the car you hit.

did it ?

dave in NC
Yes, but doesn't make me feel any better. It was some other woman's car and she probably needed it? She made a bad call letting the deadbeat use it, but she got screwed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsj454
Sorry and I do not no what to say about this . But you and the little one are all right that's all that counts .

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
Yes! ALL that really matters to me is kiddo wasn't hurt. The 'ole Jeep can be replaced with something else.
It had a good run.

Finally heard from insurance co. yesterday. As I suspected from day 1 it doesn't look good.
They(other individuals) are NOT cooperating, and have not contacted/replied to requests(emails/phone calls/letters) for information from insurance co.

According to my insurance co. & the ca.gov insurance info website max payout is capped @ $3500 even *if* they(insurance) step up and do what is right.
Such BS but that is the limit for uninsured/underinsured

So now I just wait to see what insurance co. will do for me.
Court is an option obviously, but even if I win no guarantee I'll see a dime.
Way too easy for folks to simply file a waiver stating they cannot afford to pay.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Don't know what labor rates are down there, but that would get any frame/cowl pulls done and leave you with enough to get parts, but would be out your labor for putting back together and paint.....

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:01 PM
258 I6

Total bummer..

Just saw your post Tony, sorry dude. Scumbags flock to states like Ca. and Fl. because they know for the most part, whatever they do is forgiven. I hope you can squeeze your insurance for a little!
'19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21
Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 AM
232 I6

Really does suck dealing with Ins companies. I know what I would do if they lowballed the crap out of me. It is a blessing to not have any injuries to you and the little ones.

I would not lump FL in with Cali. Not even close.

Dirtbags don't flock anywhere. They are everywhere. There are people that just don't believe in doing the right thing. It only cost those of us that do the right thing, like have insurance.

It might just pay to go see an attorney. The cost of a consultation might just pay off.
2003 Durango 4x4
1982 CJ7 4 banger
2008 MB E320 Bluetec
Old 12-13-2019, 01:17 PM
304 AMC

Hang in there Tony.
As long as your insurance company has an incentive to get the other person and their insurance to pay up, they are on your side.
That will change if they decide its more money than its worth to pursue. I would think tracking down plate numbers and insurance policies would be a every day investigation for them.

In the meantime, get some estimates for repair. Might even be worth fronting the repair (if you can) or at least hinting to your agent you may be doing that.
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Old 12-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws31
...Dirtbags don't flock anywhere. They are everywhere. ...
HAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAH!!!! True!

My brother is Highway Patrol here and he gets tasked, occasionally, with helping to clear out the homeless camps that set up on the side of the highways. He says, often times (his words), when they are booting folks, they have been bused in from other states. IOW, they are homeless in say, Denver, so CO buys them a one way bus ticket to Sacramento. Then that person gets comfy weather/no snow, hand outs, etc. that CA has to offer. Plus, since most drug usage and possession has been basically decriminalized here, they can live their life the way they want to, so they stay. I am not sure I would qualify that as flocking here, but it happens quite a bit, and this state is not interested in fixing issues like that. We are more concerned with plastic straws and making sure tweens/teenagers can get abortions without their parents finding out.
This concludes my rant.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-19-2019, 05:13 PM
out of order

Gawd this insurance co. sux!
After 16 work days, they finally sent out an adjuster to "take a look @ it" today.
What a joke.

Per the last conversation with my claims person yesterday they are still "investigating coverage" of the other vehicle owner.
They have had no contact with the guy who was driving.

Seriously?
They either have coverage or they don't...
If someone refuses to give a simple statement to them in 3 weeks time he isn't going to!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:02 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

if you have his name and address, time to serve him to appear in small claim court... limit is $10K in Cal

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 12-19-2019, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
... they finally sent out an adjuster to "take a look @ it" today.
What a joke....
Did he say ANYTHING useful? Did he say when his estimate would be ready? How long does the other guy have to make a statement? 30 calendar days?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-21-2019, 12:34 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Did he say ANYTHING useful? Did he say when his estimate would be ready? How long does the other guy have to make a statement? 30 calendar days?

Last email from adjuster stated "hoped" to have update by end of day Friday.
Shocker...didn't happen.

No idea on limit if any, I don't believe there is any law requiring someone to give a statement/talk to an insurance company.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:40 PM
232 I6

So Sorry to hear about your wagon. I was just thinking today about lowering my insurance to a lessor policy. Won't be doing that. Good luck Monday.
1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
727 Transmission
Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Any updates to share? I'm really sorry this happened. I had a terrible experience with my insurance provider when our very nice, but old, Camry got totalled by a drunk driver. Our insurance was through Progressive and the drunk's was also. Progressive took a look at the car, agreed that it was totalled, and offered me about a third of replacement cost. They refused to budge and wouldn't even follow reasonable logic when comparing values to similar cars listed locally - e.g. ours was a well-equipped V6 model, and my pointing out that I couldn't buy a base-model four-cylinder cars for what they were offering failed to sway them. Even alerting them that I was prepared to take my business elsewhere didn't seem to concern them in the slightest.

Unfortunately, the insurance provider is relying on the policyholder's impatience and desperation to force them into accepting a stupidly low offer. In my case, Progressive held that line, probably assuming that since we drove cheap old cars, that we must also be without resources to replace them, and would eagerly accept the few hundred dollars they waved in front of us.

One tactic that did help was to ask them to simply replace the vehicle with a like example. That's not something they do, but it brought the conversation back to realistic local replacement value, since that is where people purchase vehicles, rather than what a book said, since you can't buy cars from KBB or NADA.

The other approach that really added some leverage was to let them know that I felt that they were cheating me and had been in touch with the state insurance board regarding some of their statements. I made it clear that I was prepared to file a formal complaint if they were unable to work according to the law and, in doing so, produce an appropriate offer. Suddenly the adjuster "had a talk with the manager" and started to see some of my points, and the offer went up to a value that allowed me to take the check and be done with it.

I hate insurance.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:51 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Any updates to share? I'm really sorry this happened. I had a terrible experience with my insurance provider when our very nice, but old, Camry got totalled by a drunk driver. Our insurance was through Progressive and the drunk's was also. Progressive took a look at the car, agreed that it was totalled, and offered me about a third of replacement cost. They refused to budge and wouldn't even follow reasonable logic when comparing values to similar cars listed locally - e.g. ours was a well-equipped V6 model, and my pointing out that I couldn't buy a base-model four-cylinder cars for what they were offering failed to sway them. Even alerting them that I was prepared to take my business elsewhere didn't seem to concern them in the slightest.

Unfortunately, the insurance provider is relying on the policyholder's impatience and desperation to force them into accepting a stupidly low offer. In my case, Progressive held that line, probably assuming that since we drove cheap old cars, that we must also be without resources to replace them, and would eagerly accept the few hundred dollars they waved in front of us.

One tactic that did help was to ask them to simply replace the vehicle with a like example. That's not something they do, but it brought the conversation back to realistic local replacement value, since that is where people purchase vehicles, rather than what a book said, since you can't buy cars from KBB or NADA.

The other approach that really added some leverage was to let them know that I felt that they were cheating me and had been in touch with the state insurance board regarding some of their statements. I made it clear that I was prepared to file a formal complaint if they were unable to work according to the law and, in doing so, produce an appropriate offer. Suddenly the adjuster "had a talk with the manager" and started to see some of my points, and the offer went up to a value that allowed me to take the check and be done with it.

I hate insurance.

Is based on how much or how far you are willing to take it.

Car worth 7k. Write you a check for 2k because they know it will cost you 5k in lawyers, 3 years and countless trips to court to get your full 7k.

Then they will raise your rates to make up any loss they incur. And if you go somewhere else they will charge you more because the other will tell them you are difficult to deal with.

I hate insurance too.
87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
Old 01-04-2020, 02:11 PM
out of order

Thought I posted an update, but guess not??

Monday finally got my answer from AAA.
Insurance hassle is over...they had no coverage(shocker) why it took AAA a month to come to this determination is beyond me?
Which meant had to utilize my policy uninsured coverage.
This means the MAX payout is $3500 doesn't matter how much vehicle damage was done.
What AAA doesn't tell you is even though policy states higher amount of coverage all they're liable for is $3500.
CA insurance information website states the same, so way lame!!

Anyway the initial damage estimate was $4K, the adjuster missed/excluded some damage. I would easily say $5k or more actual repair cost.
They valued it @$8982.

My only recourse is small claims court to make up the difference.
Based on background checks and their lack of cooperation and communication I seriously doubt I'll see a dime, regardless if I win or not.
It is very easy for losers like this to get out of paying.

Next step will be a real damage estimate primarily to see about frame/axle/suspension.
Once I know what that will cost me will make the decision on fixing or ?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:50 PM

next time tell them your neck is starting to hurt. lower back too....knee mighta hit the dash.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue

I hate insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 01-04-2020, 02:51 PM

absolutely sue them.

Quote:

Insurance hassle is over...they had no coverage(shocker) why it took AAA a month to come to this determination is beyond me?
This means the MAX payout is $3500 doesn't matter how much vehicle damage was done.
What AAA doesn't tell you is even though policy states higher amount of coverage all they're liable for is $3500.

Anyway the initial damage estimate was $4K, the adjuster missed/excluded some damage. I would easily say $5k or more actual repair cost.
They valued it @$8982.

Based on background checks and their lack of cooperation and communication I seriously doubt I'll see a dime, regardless if I win or not.

Next step will be a real damage estimate primarily to see about frame/axle/suspension.

Quote:
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 01-04-2020, 02:57 PM
230 Tornado

Thanks for the heads up on AAA uninsured motorist limits, I have my Wagoneer on AAA, going to review that and get on the phone with them ASAP.

Very sorry for your loss.

Quote:

They valued it @$8982.