International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 AM
230 Tornado

Post Still working out the bugs

So i been pouring over what little info there is for my new jeep. 83 stepside 360 with the 727 behind it. After the first couple days the bugs showed more then initially known. I have had the tranafer case rebuilt. Its the np219. But the PO had warn locking hubs installed. Hence a rebuild at a mere 83k original. But heres when im still haveing issues finding info. It has a selct trac vacumn system. Withnthw front driveshaft disconnect. I traced the vacumn lines myself. Its a complete system even the flag is the hi\n\lo. I figure the flag can stay and just remember its hilock highft n lowlock instead. But what ablut the front axle disconnect? Im leaving the warn locked in till i either trade or sell. But hiw do i get the front axle to stay locked. Also i noticed the truck front hop on tight turns. Is that maybe cause of the fresh reman on the transfer or something more? Any help or info is appreciated. And this is my dauly drover so id prefer not to be replacing parts due to being uninformed or neglectful
Old 02-24-2019, 10:46 AM

'83 would be the 229 factory. if it has a transplanted 219 you cannot unlock the hubs,ever.

i would manually and permanently lock the disconnect in and ditch all the vacuum stuff to it.

the hopping could be due to having a lincoln locker in the front axle. pull cover and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Essentially your orig 229 has been swapped out with an 80-82 219. Common swap. The front axle shaft is engaged via the vacuum system. When you switch the dash vac switch from 2WD to 4WD it first routes the vac to and engages the front axle first and then engages the tcase. With the vac axle you must come to a complete stop before shifting or loud ugly crunchy noises come from the axle shaft. It's a splined 2 pc shaft that is connected/disconnected via a splined collar so the shaft can not be spinning. 83 and 84 with the 229 and vac axle have the pull down shift-lock knob on the dash 2WD/4WD switch. The knob makes switching the switch a 2 handed operation insuring you are stopped and not trying to shift on the fly or BOOM. With the swapped in 219 you no longer need the vac system for tcase shifting(no 2WD mode) but you DO need it for the axle shifting. The useless unlocking hubs installed only lock/unlock/disconnect the wheel to the axle. Have nothing to do with engaging/disengaging the splined 2 pc axle shaft via the collar. The hubs just provide a false sense of security.
Some folks with the 83/4 vac axle have done work-arounds locking the axle shafts together permanently but I'm not familiar with those mods. The orig vac system should work fine if maintained. I'd highly suggest you get a copy of the 83 TSM to study how it all works. The 83 TSM isn't a full shop manual for 83 but rather just a supplement to the 82 TSM covering the changes for 83. It'll explain the 229, vac system and vac axle with diagrams.
If you don't want to hunt down an buy the 82/83 books you might find them online at http://oljeep.com/index.html
Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 AM
230 Tornado

Thanks everylone for clarifying. I got her dialed in for the most part. Last step is to runnthrough ignition and carburator. But in a side note i lost a ujoint yesterday in the front drive shaft and having the hubs unlocked while in hi lock let me get to the parts store. Now i know i dont need the hubs with no drove shaft but till i see what is locking the front diff. I felt a little easier about staving off damage in that mode. And with my vacumn swith in shambles i just have a vacumn line ran to lock in the axle for a temp fix. Yes this is my daily drover and it is also my only vehicle. Call me crazy. But been gathering lots of info and understanding from here and its making it more feasable then i thought.