International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Brakes!!!

Ok, I deleted my other thread because my brakes were plumed correct. I got them all bled out and on my first stop after bleeding I am able to lock up the brakes no problem. After the first stop they do not have the power to lock up the tires anymore. I have done this 4 times with the same result, what is going on, I am out of ideas. I don't really need to be able to lock the brakes up to stop but when I take this jeep down a really steep long hill that I want to go really slow on they seem to not have the power they should. I am thinking its the master cylinder but maybe its the proportioning valve. Any Ideas?

78' Cherokee Chief, 401, 727, 208 and Chopped Roof!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike
Ok, I deleted my other thread because my brakes were plumed correct. I got them all bled out and on my first stop after bleeding I am able to lock up the brakes no problem. After the first stop they do not have the power to lock up the tires anymore. I have done this 4 times with the same result, what is going on, I am out of ideas. I don't really need to be able to lock the brakes up to stop but when I take this jeep down a really steep long hill that I want to go really slow on they seem to not have the power they should. I am thinking its the master cylinder but maybe its the proportioning valve. Any Ideas?

Bleed them again? That's what I would do. How much of the brake system did you replace and why? For the cost of a new master cylinder I would put one in just because. How was the fluid pressure while bleeding? Does it seem like the front grabs more/less than the rear? Doubt it's the prop valve.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 04-28-2013, 09:04 AM

I bled them a couple more times with the same result. I don't get any air bubbles when I bleed them and they always work best on the first stop. I have bled brakes many times and never seen anything like this. I guess I am going to start replacing parts till it gets better.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Hack-Priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike
I bled them a couple more times with the same result. I don't get any air bubbles when I bleed them and they always work best on the first stop. I have bled brakes many times and never seen anything like this. I guess I am going to start replacing parts till it gets better.

Hello Mike,

Did you dis engage the pin in the portioning valve when bleeding the rear brakes?

Some years, the pin pulls out, some years it pushes in.

I had never done this before, and was not aware, but it makes a great difference!

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM

I replaced the master cylinder today and it works great. This would be the first master cylinder I have found bad that didn't leak from the back in 15 years of working on stuff but now I know. I couldn't believe that a rebuild kit and a reman unit were the same price. I guess people don't rebuild stuff at home anymore.