International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Question Questions Lead To Questions

I started a thread earlier today about my stock Wagoneer ("More Suspsension Advice Needed"). I'm looking to make my sag wag a multipurpose rig with a modest lift and better suspension for towing. I have received some helpful feedback which of course leads to more questions.

Has anyone had experience with a 1" body lift and a 2" suspension lift done together? I am trying to find a way to lift my rig without spending a fortune in parts. When you add in the beer cash needed for a helping hand it gets up there quick. My help likes beer! Combo body/suspension Lift on BJ's is $620.00.

I looked at the Rough Country 3" lift which is springs and U bolts. That is another cost effective option but is the kit all I will need? What about a drop pitman arm, brake line extensions, etc. The 3" suspension lift kit with RC 8000 Series shocks, and steering stabilizer is $634.30.

I like BJ's because of their loyalty to FSJ's but the Rough Country kit seems like a much better deal. am I missing something?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice

Zac
Old 03-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Grease Monkey

Some of it comes down to "ride quality." I have heard the Rough Country set-up is pretty stiff.
As far as add-ons, Anything more than 2" in the rear and you are going to need a longer rear brake line. I went with 2" blocks and at full droop, the line is very tight.
I went with 2" blocks in the rear and extended shackles for 1" in the front and it turned out pretty nice but I then needed longer shocks. However, in all the helper springs, blocks, shackles, shocks, etc, I probably could have gone with a 4" lift for not too much more.

80 Wagoneer Limited, 2 bbl 2150, 360, 727TF, NP219, "Moby Dick" Now with Dragonfire HEI, Contour dual fans, CS144,