International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Grease Monkey

What do you do for rust on te bottom inside of the doors?

On my GW, if I get on the ground with the front doors open, I can see a couple or 3-4 spots on the inner radius of the bottom of the doors that has rusted through. It doesnt feel brittle on the edges, and not at all "thinned" like the whole thing is rusted out, and the power window sworks like a new car in all the doors.

Can I take a small grinder or die cutter and trim the rust spots through and polyester filler them in? im all for fixing stuff right but when it comes to doors im not thatp icky especially when it is on a part that you will never see at all, but I hate the thought of having rust spots there.

Replacing the door frames isnt an option at this time.

1998 Ram 1500
5.9 Magnum
4 speed auto
Quad Cab

1985 Corvette Z51
350 Tuned Port Injection
*restoring now*

1976 Corvette L48 Stingray
-restoring-

1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan
4.5 Liter V8
all Options
Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM

I would worry more about progression of the rust. Usually water inside the door causes rust there. The doors are supposed to drain through holes in their bottoms, but if they don't drain the humidity will rust from the inside out.

I'd certainly take the inside panels off and clean and dry the insides of the doors thoroughly. Disassemble as much as you need to get any moisture and debris out. Make sure the drains are clear and any rubber or fiber rain seals are in good condition and in place. After removing any loose rust and debris, I'd paint over any rusty metal on the inside with a good rust encapsulating paint like Eastwood, POR-15 or Rust Bullet.

To fix the appearance of the bottom of the door, you could grind out the rusty metal and either glue metal on the inside or fiberglass to span any holes in the metal. Then fill from the outside. Body filler is not meant to be a structural repair, so you need some structure to back it up before you fill any voids.

hth!
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Last edited by tgreese : 06-21-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Shade Tree Shaman

Ive come across 2 references about using linseed oil for this type of stuff. When linseed oil dries, it leaves a layer that is air tight.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Master Mechanic

2X on linseed oil, when it dries it is tough ,sticky and damm near impossible to remove. Wax is commonly used as a rust inhibitor in newer cars, don't see why it would not work.

Just make sure the rag/applicator is disposed of properly. it is possible for it to spontaneously combust.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
FSJ Maniac

If you have rust in the seams, a trick I learned back when I did my scout was to set the door in a raingutter sealed at both ends and fill the "troth" with rust disolver from Eastwood and let it sit overnight. That'll take care of the rust that you can't get too.

Of course you'll have painting invloved when you get done, but it'll take care fo those seams.

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI