Well, today was go to the exhaust shop day. Finally.
Now, after 3 trailers fell through...
Then one broken down truck..
I gave up trying to trailer it 40 miles to the shop.
Call my buddy. and say: "Bring your Rubi up here and follow me in case I break down"
He asks: "Have you driven it much yet
My response.. "Well, 8 miles at slower speeds. BUT - I NEED
to get this moved to the shop before we leave for a week"
Him: "Hmm, seems risky"
Me: "I'll throw in a tow strap and some tools.. let's do it!"
"What could go wrong ?"
Him: "OK . . . it's YOUR
I figure it's been run and warmed up 10 times now, and I did drive it a bit, it should make it.
GPS - Check.
Code reader hooked up - Check.
Gauges working - Check.
Tools - Check
Tow straps - Check
Buddy to run tailgunner - Check.
Let's roll !
Fire it up and we start... first 10 miles is local traffic .. 25 to 50 mph.
All acceleration is very light throttle to keep from being obnoxiously loud. Gentle throttle pedal is the goal today.
Watch GPS for speed since speedo is WAY off. All seems ok.
watching all inputs carefully while watching traffic and other drivers
Now.. merge onto 70+ mph traffic on the expressway - Check.
I take it up to 65mph in the slow lane for the first few miles...
All gauges and temps good!
Get the GPS speed up to 70 mph. 1775 RPM at 70 mph.
Temps creep up to 205. Oil pressure at 48 psi. Still fine.
Propshaft: No vibrations! I was worried that the rear prop might have issues at speed. NOPE!
After 5 miles at 70 mph... Creep it up to 75 mph.
Still running fine, all seems to be fine. plenty of power.
Then take it up to 80 mph - Check, all good.
Noted all 6 gears have been working during the drive, and ODs seem to be a good match for tires and gearing.
No shift searching. That makes me happy.
Bottom line.. we drove the 40 miles with only the pre-cats dumping exhaust downward...
The shop was ready for us - pull right in and put it on the 2 post lift.
Spent some time showing him what I thought was a good routing plan.. we agree.
403 stainless pipes and I gave them my Borla muffler.
They are going to wrap the catalysts with some heat shielding to help slow floorpan heating.
I also asked them to weld in the engine mounts to the frame. They say no problem.
So, it was exciting it drove there with no issues.
AND - the work will get done while I am out of town. Cool!!
Today was a bit stressful but a big win !