International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 11-30-2020, 06:05 PM
232 I6

Modification ideas

General Motors Sparkles in 48 Volt, IDTechEx Reports
By: IDTechEx via PR Newswire
November 24, 2020 at 10:23 AM EST
BOSTON, Nov. 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- It is in China that General Motors is leading the way in 48V hybrid cars and their next technology. This 48V mild hybridization of conventional car models gives them another ten years in the market. They do not become illegal from tightening emissions regulations, indeed they gain up to 15% reduction in emission and fuel consumption. The upgrade consists of little more than replacing the alternator with a motor-starter-generator and adding a lithium-ion battery to the lead-acid one. A DC-DC converter charges them and delivers their electricity to a host of new electrical devices, even increasing comfort and performance along the way. The recent IDTechEx report, "48V Full Hybrid, 48V Mild Hybrid, 48V BEV Cars: Markets, Technology Roadmap 2021-2041", reveals that under 20% of traditional car manufacturers are passing up on this precious buying of time as they race to the end game of battery electric.

Examples of the large emerging market for 0.1 kWh to 1MWh supercapacitors. Source: IDTechEx “Supercapacitor Markets, Technology Roadmap, Opportunities 2021-2041”, www.IDTechEx.com/Supercaps (PRNewsfoto/IDTechEx)

Huge sales

48V hybrid sales could rise to a massive 20% of all car production boosted by the recent discovery that there is even a simple path to 48V full hybrids (HEV) as upgrades of existing models. Far more electrification is possible than previously realized when you add one of the many low-cost e-axles now available to make it a full hybrid, going long distances on electric only, with much more efficient regenerative braking. IDTechEx believes that HEVs could drop 10% in cost and it proposes solar wrap as an easy route to 10% more electricity on top of that.

Supercapacitors next

IDTechEx praises Geely working with Tesla Maxwell to add a large supercapacitor that permits many more electric devices to kick in at the same time, saving on the size of the lithium-ion battery. This is a natural progression from supercapacitors already replacing lithium-ion batteries in ten million microhybrid cars, primarily thanks to Tesla Maxwell.

However, GM China is working on a next stage that replaces the two batteries and the converter with a single cheaper, better-performing device, smaller and lighter too. Its MODACS (Multiple Output Dynamically Adjustable Capacity) device has supercapacitor and battery electrodes swimming in the same electrolyte. Another form of CAB (capacitor assisted battery), its multiple switches and tabbing means it can even act as a 12V battery that is charging while also acting as a 48V battery that is discharging and vice versa. Goodbye lead. Cold cranking improves and they boast, "an old CAB is actually stronger than a new LFP (lithium-ion) battery."

Another supercapacitor advance in China is versions from Anhui and Toomen, rivaling the energy density of lithium-ion batteries eight years ago. That raises the prospect of completely replacing lithium-ion batteries in 48V vehicles and conventional HEVs. Beyond performance and fit-and-forget, supercapacitors increasingly offer no disposal issues compared to the cost and misery of recycling toxic batteries. In Europe, Skeleton Technologies is launching a clever compromise of supercapacitor parameters that could even increase the range of EVs. See the new IDTechEx reports, "Supercapacitor Markets, Technology Roadmap, Opportunities 2021-2041" and "Supercapacitor Materials and Formats 2020-2040". Little wonder VW Group has recently set up a supercapacitor research center, having announced self-healing supercapacitor car bodywork.

GM launching many 48V cars

Meanwhile, this year Chevrolet introduced its first 48V model in China, the Monza 48V, followed by five new Orlando 48V variants.

"The Orlando is a functional nameplate that now integrates traditional propulsion technology with electrification for a refined driving experience with lower fuel consumption and lower emissions," said Scott Lawson, general director of Chevrolet for SAIC-GM. "It also offers different seating and styling options to meet the personalized needs of today's car buyers."

The new variants maintain the new-generation 1.35L Ecotec dual-jet turbocharged engine and six-speed DSS start/stop transmission. They add a 48V mild hybrid system consisting of a 48V motor, 48V power battery, power management module and hybrid control unit. The system has five working modes: Auto Start, E-boost, Smart Charge, Brake Energy Regeneration and E-idle. They provide a more powerful, smoother and quieter driving experience when starting, accelerating, cruising and braking. Its fuel consumption is as low as 6.1 liters/100 kilometers, which is a 9% improvement. They meet the China 6B emission standard. FAW in China may launch a 48V full hybrid next year but GM is sure to have an answer.

For the full portfolio of Electric Vehicle and Energy Storage research available from IDTechEx please visit www.IDTechEx.com/Research.

IDTechEx guides your strategic business decisions through its Research, Subscription and Consultancy products, helping you profit from emerging technologies. For more information, contact research@IDTechEx.com or visit www.IDTechEx.com.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:17 AM
232 I6

Thinking in Mpgs...without losing power.

The upgrade consists of little more than replacing the alternator with a motor-starter-generator and adding a lithium-ion battery to the lead-acid one. A DC-DC converter charges them and delivers their electricity to a host of new electrical devices, even increasing comfort and performance along the way.
Really just a matter if importing a 48v car from China reverse engineering it then a quick retrofit into one of our rigs..
It’s a bit out of my skill set range but someone here could I bet you!

Last edited by DBX11 : 12-02-2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I read somewhere that GM was going to come out with a crate power pack that was the Electric Bolt motor, controller, and batteries. I guess the motor is good for like 400 foot pounds. I would be totally down to put an electric drivetrain in a lighter vehicle (maybe an XJ?) but I think with our big ol' heavy bricks, it would not be very advantageous. (but that's an all electric drivetrain). I think if we could get a regenerative system to pull energy from our brakes AND install the system you mention, that would be good but our trucks are just so heavy, so not-aerodynamic, I feel like it would make any increase in MPG almost immeasurably small.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 12-02-2020, 09:23 PM
350 Buick

Why bother? The future is in our homes connected to the collective. There we can do and get everything thing we need and want including work, manage our affairs, play, food, drink, entertainment, and sex.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 12-05-2020, 08:11 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
. I think if we could get a regenerative system to pull energy from our brakes AND install the system you mention, that would be good but our trucks are just so heavy, so not-aerodynamic, I feel like it would make any increase in MPG almost immeasurably small.

I naturally start shaking my head when I see/hear others mention regenerative braking and now this auto-stop/start function these new cars have.

Our old vehicles with manual transmissions have all you need to get outstanding fuel mileage. All one has to do I’d drastically change their driving techniques. I have proven this to be true for several years, it is called hypermiling. It is a shame that my iPad does not even recognize the word.

The basic concept is your engine is running only when a speed increase is needed and only as much of an increase is applied to get to the next point. The result is little use of brakes and very little time spent not moving. Of course Hypermiling is only affective in city driving.

Some would suggest that it is dangerous, and it can be but I argue that the dangerous circumstances are few and they are far outweighed by the increase in safety it provides. You see, in order to effectively Hypermile one must constantly predict several seconds into the future. This means constant attention and is the basis for safe driving. I had been Hypermiling for more than ten years and never recall one situation where I thought I would loose control. I stopped doing it eight years ago because of the high clutch pedal force on my new J20.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:57 AM
232 I6

Don't bother going electric or hybrid. In a couple of years all mainstream vehicles will be hybrid or electric. The oil prices will go down, and we will have cheap fuel for our classics.
4" Skyjacker
Old 12-07-2020, 09:52 AM
304 AMC

this is negative, but I am outdated at 50.........

todays vehicles,... todays over the top tech,... tomorrows vehicles,......

make me want to reach for anti nausea tablets.

dave in NC
1988 grand wagoneer
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 12-10-2020, 12:12 PM
350 Buick

The reality is, I believe no source of energy will satisfy. People will simply become acclimated to a new mode of operation. Industry will then manage to make us feel unsatisfied with it. The result will always be abuse of any resource we have in an attempt to improve our image, make us more comfortable and compete with others. The ultimate result is further empowerment of a relatively small group of people and the cycle continues as it has since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:11 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece
The reality is, I believe no source of energy will satisfy. People will simply become acclimated to a new mode of operation. Industry will then manage to make us feel unsatisfied with it. The result will always be abuse of any resource we have in an attempt to improve our image, make us more comfortable and compete with others. The ultimate result is further empowerment of a relatively small group of people and the cycle continues as it has since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

Found myself with a gun in my mouth after reading this.

I'm interested in a few different things:
How much does it cost me, and will it pencil out over time?
Will it go fast?
Is it convenient?
Way down the list --- Is it good for the environment?

I've been thinking about how awesome it would be to have a premade underbody frame with all the batteries, motors, regeneration, etc, necessary so that I could simply drop my Waggy's body onto it, then connect some steering, braking, and going things to it.
Would certainly be better than the ~11MPG combined I might get with the stock powertrain.

I'm not much for virtue signaling like a lot of Tesla fanboys, but if I can reliably get 250-300 miles off a charge, have 400HP off an AWD setup, and charge it using the mostly-hydroelectric facilities in use up here, then sweet!

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
Old 12-12-2020, 10:34 AM
327 Rambler

Some company just announced a huge breakthrough in battery technology that, if it can be brought to market, will make electric vehicles much more travel friendly (85% recharge in 15 minutes without the overheat issue lithium-ion batteries have).

The trouble begins with the infrastructure necessary to recharge an all (or mostly) electric fleet.

There is a great way to solve this, however. The thorium molten salt reactor. Small, can't melt down, and without the need for huge cooling plants, these reactors can be placed throughout the country, both inside cities and in rural areas, negating the need for the huge transmission line runs we currently have with conventional nuclear, solar, hydroelectric, etc.