• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kyjman
    Banned
    • Apr 04, 2001

Look at my poor tranny !!! UPDATE

5/25/04 Todays update....picked up a used T-5 from a board member in southern Wisconsin this morning. He had lots of baby jeeps and FSJ's. He is a collector of the finest vehicles ever made!!!

Got back home at noon and had to swap the input shafts, and gave the donor T-5 a good looking over and decided it was good. Put the donor back together and installed it and all the other stuff that goes along with a tranny swap.

Took it out on I-94 and was able to drive my truck 70mph for the first time in over 2 years (5th was out on my old tranny). The donor tranny is really good and not any noise that I've noticed.

Thanks to a good friend and member of this board I'm back on the road again.

Got to work this morning, and was going to back into the place I park and I could'nt shift the T-5 into reverse. The shifter was stuck. I went on in and worked until 10AM, then thought I'd better clock out and see if by taking the shift cover off I could un-stick the shifter. Well of course I could do no good with that so I decided I'd just drive it the 20 miles home in 2nd gear.

Headed out and got about a 1/2 mile from the shop and the tranny starts this sickening grinding noise. I figure that I having to get towed home now, so I push with all my might and get it into 3rd gear, and its pulling.

OK so now I get home faster in 3rd and 4th rather than all the way in 2nd. I drove it home only using 3rd and 4th gears, and they worked fine. Got the truck up, and dropped the transx, and tranny. Tore the tranny down and found the problem.

The hub inside the 1/2 syncro had cracked, causing the buttons to jam, thereby causing it to stick in 2nd. The grinding noise was caused by the hub spinning loosely on the mainshaft. So now I need a new mainshaft.

Contacted Paul at 4speeds.com and he has a T-4 with the same shaft that he will tear down tomorrow and then ship the shaft to me with the syncros, and new buttons and c-rings for it. All for the sum of $60.00 plus shipping. Now I dont think a guy can get any luckier than I did on that.

Anyway here are some shots I took because I know this post is worthless without pics.

Shafts and busted hub: The top shaft is new, 2 years ago. The bottom shaft is the original that had 1st gear seized to it in 1998. Note how the buttons are worn badly in the middle.

Tranny on bench:

Truck in for repairs:

[ May 25, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: kyjman ]
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

Ithink I would upgrade to a better tranny...lol
    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• kyjman
      Banned
      • Apr 04, 2001

You are right. I'm heading to get another T-5 this morning. A friend is giving me a complete, low mileage tranny from a 1985 CJ-7. So I should have it up and running around 3 PM.

Comment

• kyjman
        Banned
        • Apr 04, 2001

bump for the update

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
          GrimJeeperReaper
          • Jul 08, 2002

You do things fairly quickly don't cha! .....
          Glad you got it going again.
          1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• kyjman
            Banned
            • Apr 04, 2001

Aaron.....I've had to R&R the tranny in this truck at least 10 times over the past 6 years. So I know every little nut and bolt that has to get taken off, and the size wrench needed to do it. Its a little hard on this old 54 year old man to get them back in, and I have have a little help from a jack on the transX case, but I can R&R the tranny in about 4 hours, just cruising. Complete teardown and re-assembly of the T-5 is about 2 hours for me.

And its fun to do........NOT.

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 18, 2003

10 times?!?! Man, if it was mine I would have got rid of it after the seconed time. But thats just me. lol. What about one of those "world class" T-5's that advance adapters sells? Ever thought about one of those?

[ May 26, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: JeepsAndGuns ]
              79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
              Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
              93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Casey
                • Oct 08, 2003

What about an NV4500. Heimeken has done an outstanding job with his and it is a much better tranny. I know he mentioned the adaptability to the T-18-T-176 but the t/c should bolt up with the right spline 'eh. If I were clever I would put a link to it here.
                1994 YJ
                1986 Comanche
                '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                "Go forth and be a tool".
                Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• testuser
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 09, 2000

who is your friend in souther wisconsin that hooked you up?

Comment

• kyjman
                    Banned
                    • Apr 04, 2001

I know I could buy a better tranny, but if it wasnt for the tranny going every so often then what would I have to work on?????

Really this tranny is a super good one so far. After 80 miles on it I'm really impressed with its smoothness over the other one.

LRRH....Igrjeep hooked me up. He is what I would call a true collector of the FSJ, and anything with the name Jeep on it. He has some really neat vehicles, and lots of them.

Comment

• kyjman
                      Banned
                      • Apr 04, 2001

I went ahead and sprung for some Synthetic ATF and changed out the tranny and trans-X case fluids yesterday. Still too early to tell any difference.

Comment

• Elliott
                        Cowboy Up
                        • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by kyjman:
                        LRRH....Igrjeep hooked me up. He is what I would call a true collector of the FSJ, and anything with the name Jeep on it. He has some really neat vehicles, and lots of them.
                        Does he have any dually JTrucks?

Like to figure a waz to get a ZF6sp into one of these JTrucks, pretty happy with the one in F350 (so far, @~56,000mi).
                        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• kyjman
                          Banned
                          • Apr 04, 2001

No. Not that I saw anyways.

Comment

Working...
                          X