• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Advance curve question/ MSD distributor

My main questions are, at what RPM do I want all my timing in at, and what would be a good starting point to shoot for total advance.

Right now I have 12 degrees of initial timing at idle with a total of 26 degrees all in at over 4500 rpm. The advance springs are the heavy springs that bring the timing in slow and at a high rpm. My idle is at 750 with a Holley sniper.
    engine specs.

10.6 to 1 compression
    523 lift cam
    273 duration
    2200 stall converter
    Edelbrock heads
    Edelbrock Air Gap w/ 1 1/2 inch spacer.

It seems kind of sluggish, so I think it needs more timing and maybe it should come in earlier.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

26 total is low for what you have, what gears and tire size do you have?

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

31 inch tall tires and stock gears. Not sure on gears, I thought someone said, a lot of these came with 2.54, but really have no idea. I guess I need to check and see what it has. No visible tags on my axles. It will get a re-gear one day, I was thinking 3.73, that will be after it is on the road.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

You need to be at 32-34 deg total advance at 2500RPM, with the vac advance disconnected.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Do I want all in at 2500 because of the converter or is it for some other reason/reasons.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Mikel
            • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
            Do I want all in at 2500 because of the converter or is it for some other reason/reasons.
            You may want to try different spring combinations and see what works best for you.
            1969 M715 6x6
            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
              350 Buick
              • Feb 15, 2010

yes, you could try and find an old hot rod shop with a distributer machine and dial it in. you really need to find what gears you have, 3.73 would be a good all around daily driver set.

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

recalibrate the distributor msd has charts you can download that will help you get it in ballpark.
                sounds like it is configured for wot on mechanical(like lighter car on 1/4 mile)advance and too large bushing preventing more advance?

with only 26* you are throwing a lot of power away.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, according to what I have read and info from MSD, The total advance is coming in way to late. 2,400/3,000 rpm is where I think it should be. Also initial timing should be higher than 12. I'am getting an exhaust system put on next week. I'am going to wait until that is done. It's just to noisy. If I made any changes, not sure if I could here it ping or not.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

Tried to edit a post and lost the whole thing. Went ahead and put in the lighter advance springs in the distributor, and adjusted the total advance to 34 degrees. I was kind of disappointed the first time I ran it up the driveway, but the timing was way off. With the lighter springs and the total advance at 34, it was like turning on a light switch. Thing will spin the tires from a roll. Very happy with the way it is running. Also did A little research and if the axles are correct to the Wagon, it should have 3.54 gears in the diffs. Think I will leave that gear in the car. Used one of those calculators online and with the gears and tires I have, at 3,000 rpm's, I should be at 65 mph.
                    1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Mikel
                      • Aug 09, 2000

1969 M715 6x6
                      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Working...
                      X