International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM

You have to watch how you send it. You don't want to do a wire transfer, they still charge for those. Should be able to use regular "online bill pay," though.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:11 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

My big issue now is how the #$^^$& do i sell something on fleabay and get paid? i dont see any way to link a savings account

anyone else here selling without paypal?

steve

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 PM
350 Buick

Trip, read my first post on the last page.

I was able to get (claim) money that I had waiting for me at my paypal and send it to my Walmart money card (Visa debit/prepaid card) earlier today. If they don't change anything else, I think we can still sell stuff, then get paid via paypal. Then we have to claim it. When you hit claim, it tried to prompt me to make a "paypal cash" account. That's where they wanted all of my personal info (which I refuse to give).

Only difference I see is that I cant have money on the regular paypal account that I can then use from there. It has to go somewhere else before being spent.
They still have a way to link a bank account, but I wont allow that either for myself. I have too much in the account, I don't want them having any free access to that.
...still kinda rusty

The other's
1926 Dodge Brothers 5 pass. Business Sedan 212-I4, 3 speed, CRANK START (new long term project)
1987 Lincoln Town Car "Signature Series" 5.0, AOD unknown gears
1987 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9,A999TF,3.90gears(DD)
1994 GMC 'Burban L05-5.7,4L60E,3.73gears(DD)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0,AW4,3.73gears(thinkin of selling)

Last edited by ZackN920 : 04-30-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:05 PM
350 Buick

I wouldn't use a debit card. You have to have money in that account to use the card, right?

I don't want them having access to any cash if there's ever a dispute. Not that I'm selling anything yet but one of these days I plan to.

I think there's more protection with a credit card. Maybe they can pull money out of a CC account but I don't have to cover it. I think there's more protection with a CC card than a debit card.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTD
I wouldn't use a debit card. You have to have money in that account to use the card, right?

I don't want them having access to any cash if there's ever a dispute. Not that I'm selling anything yet but one of these days I plan to.

I think there's more protection with a credit card. Maybe they can pull money out of a CC account but I don't have to cover it. I think there's more protection with a CC card than a debit card.

Whatever anyone ever tries to tell you, you have ZERO protection with a debit card. Period. Once the money is gone, it's gone. There is some fraud protection, but it's nothing compared to a credit card. ALWAYS use a credit card. Plus you'll almost always get better perks using a credit card than a debit card anyway.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:01 PM
350 Buick

After seeing what my dad went through with credit cards, I've never wanted anything to do with them. Any "perks" they may have aren't enough to attract me.

I've always felt I had more control over the debit. Usually I keep a $0 balance on it until I want to purchase something online. Then I load it and make my purchase. I never intended for it to be the dumping point for my paypal money, but what can I do? I don't want to link it to my bank account, and even if I had a credit card, I don't think I could put money on it from the paypal account. I'd have to have them send me a check as my only option. If I sold something that made me real money ($100+) then i'll have them send a check.

As to the debit card having no protection... well it won't work if there's no balance, so if it got hacked and someone uses the money thats on it, I just cancel it. I'm not out much.
...still kinda rusty

The other's
1926 Dodge Brothers 5 pass. Business Sedan 212-I4, 3 speed, CRANK START (new long term project)
1987 Lincoln Town Car "Signature Series" 5.0, AOD unknown gears
1987 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9,A999TF,3.90gears(DD)
1994 GMC 'Burban L05-5.7,4L60E,3.73gears(DD)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0,AW4,3.73gears(thinkin of selling)

Last edited by ZackN920 : 05-01-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 PM
350 Buick

I figgered under the new rules they would just credit my CC. I guess I'll have to read up on it. Hard to believe they'd send a check.

I use CC's for convenience, rarely pay cash for anything. Always pay the balance monthly.

And I like it when they give away stuff for opening one. Last fall I opened a Southwest Airlines card because I got a BIG discount on a ticket to Vegas for my daughter. Round trip was like $100 after the paying the CC fee.

Then a couple months ago my wife got one that payed $500 cash after charging $3000 with no fee and I just got one that payed $300 after charging $1000, again no fee.

Idunno, is it immoral for us to take advantage of these deals since they're being paid for by the poor buggers carrying balances and paying 25% interest?

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 PM
304 AMC

The wife and I opened a completely separate account where we keep our money that is connected to nothing. No cards, debit, nothing. Savings I guess.
We have a small balance for the checking that is tied to paypal, independent payment of our monthly bills and online purchases. We also have a completely separate account for our internet service provider. After having an ISP company steal our money and spending over 4 hours on the phone to get it back, their account has not more than 5 bucks above the monthly billing in it at any time. All this requires a lot more management, but we want our savings to be secure and not touchable by the outside world. Now I use paypal every time I order parts or anything online. I did not get the email described earlier. I have been paid recently for some items I sold. Paypal took about 5 bucks per transaction. Then the supposed 1 business day to transfer my funds has never happened. So far it has been 4 days or more. Not cool. A couple months ago I sold my cosmichrome plating system for 1300. They would not release my money for 7 days. They probably claimed interest off it. They do keep prompting me for a cell number. I actually lost it two weeks ago and I refuse to give them any information at all ever. They have a long history with my online purchases and they don't need my thumb print period.

I too am interested in severing the use of paypal.. And just using my credit card. I think it is time to start.

Not really related to paypal, here is something else coming down the sewer line.
Something related directly to our money is the US going cashless. The USA is going to be one of the last hold outs. We have a relative who has been an exchange student in Denmark. She told us recently that no one has cash there. They all have what is called a mobile card. All transactions are done with the card. Groceries, bills, fuel, everything.
It would not surprise me if suddenly our financial systems became compromised by fraud in an attempt to get the populace to migrate to this with less fuss. I read about this a very long time ago and it appears to be on our horizons. Just something to think about for the future and your money.

In the mean time, I will start using the CC more. Paypal, ebay, amazon are all getting to big and controlling.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackN920
After seeing what my dad went through with credit cards, I've never wanted anything to do with them. Any "perks" they may have aren't enough to attract me.

I've always felt I had more control over the debit. Usually I keep a $0 balance on it until I want to purchase something online. Then I load it and make my purchase. I never intended for it to be the dumping point for my paypal money, but what can I do? I don't want to link it to my bank account, and even if I had a credit card, I don't think I could put money on it from the paypal account. I'd have to have them send me a check as my only option. If I sold something that made me real money ($100+) then i'll have them send a check.

As to the debit card having no protection... well it won't work if there's no balance, so if it got hacked and someone uses the money thats on it, I just cancel it. I'm not out much.

I watched my parents get out of control several times with credit cards, that doesn't mean I have to. lol Use them responsibly, and they have a ton to offer.

As to your "debit card," that's a prepaid credit card, not a debit card. A true debit card is linked to a checking account. A prepaid credit card *should* offer the same protections as a regular one, albeit without any of the other benefits/perks you might get. That's actually the same route I recommended to my folks. They have to put money on it to use it, which means they can't overspend on it.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
...We also have a completely separate account for our internet service provider. After having an ISP company steal our money and spending over 4 hours on the phone to get it back, their account has not more than 5 bucks above the monthly billing in it at any time. All this requires a lot more management, but we want our savings to be secure and not touchable by the outside world.

For this reason alone (been screwed there, too), I do not let anyone pull money from one of my accounts. NO one is authorized for that. I pay all my bills through the credit unions bill pay. They have electronic relationships with most major payees, so it's a day or two transaction at most. No different than if I let them debit my account directly.

The problem with keeping a separate account and giving them access is if they do pull more than their share, you get hit with an overdraw fee. Good luck getting that turned over, even when you get the rest cleaned up.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM
350 Buick

PayPal has changed hands. The old credit provider would not report sales to the gov. if under 20,000.00 per year. I believe that has changed. I have used them for 25 years with out any major problems. I like buying items and having the 6 months same as cash option.