International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Noob!

Question Update and a few questions.

Alrighty, been working on the jeep for about a month now and so far it's been a blast. tried to rebuild and tune that 4350 but it was just a hassle and to get one that will actually run well costs about 600 bucks total from that pony carbs place. so i've installed a performer manifold with egr, the 1406 carb, an accel super stock coil, the big cap upgrade (made sure to get all brass terminals and the high quality rotor) as well as a new distributor, and the 8mm wires... changed to acdelco plugs that i have gapped at 38. i have the new acdelco egr hooked up with the temp delay valve and a red/blue check valve, the washer i put in is a 9. the ignition is set up with the cto, and i've replaced 90% of the vacuum lines. i've also decided to keep the air system intact. i also retained the factory air filter housing and ducting mind you i didn't change all that just cause the carb was a pain to tune, but it was a convenient lead in. now a question, i cant get the truck to stumble or hesitate (after moving the accel pump rod to the closest hole) unless i just barely touch the gas pedal, as in slow traffic or easing away from a light. at crusing speed there is no hesitation that i can pick up on at this point, only at low speed. when i put the pedal all the way down from a dead stop it takes a few seconds to build power, not a stumble or hesitation but there is a definite point where you feel the motor come alive. maybe the secondaries opening up? at a cruise the thing just comes to life when you feed it gas, so i'm not sure. also the truck will occasionally diesel when shut down, not repetitively but for one cycle if you understand my meaning. the timing is set at 8 degrees running a 500 rpm idle with the vacuum line plugged and the motor warmed up. i have adjusted the idle mixture screws to what seems like the proper spot to my ears, and the carb is otherwise setup factory style, i have a calibration kit and offroad needles and seats on the way. other then that the truck runs great and i have a feeling these are related issues. any ideas?

i've fixed the minimal rust that came with the truck, had to make new window tracks for the side doors cause the window wipe (replaced all 3) had rotted away over the years and the little rain that did get in there ate them. changed the oil twice and added lucas oil stabilizer the second go round, and the rest of the fluids once though the transfer case fluid needs to be changed again soon. i have an amc am/fm/cassette from ebay on the kitchen table here thats going in soon, it seems to be in good shape and the belt isn't cracking so i'm hoping it just works. the factory speakers seem to be in good shape but the radio had some issues and it is am/fm only. now another question, on the back of the factory stereo there is (besides the speaker connections which match the new stereo) one red wire that runs to the fuse block for power... on the back of the am/fm/cassette there is a 3-prong terminal with orange, black, and brown leads and a separate short white lead. i have the manuals but does anyone know what the proper hookup is off the top of their heads?

i know it's a long read but i hope you got through it intact, thanks in advance for any help offered. i'll let you know when the next round of parts shows up; suspension is next. may the ground stay beneath your tires and your beer stay just above freezing. take it easy.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Noob!

nothing after 48 hours?

not even one?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM
FSJ Maniac

Long read What I got out of it was maybe you don't have enough advance on it...8 degrees seems a bit low for these trucks.

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL
Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
350 Buick

Yeah, there are a lot of topics and not much punctuation. I really can't tell where the questions are in that thread...
Why don't you try opening a ticket on each subject with just one or two questions on each?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
350 Buick

Oh yeah... Welcome to IFSJA!