International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 PM

I need some help...tailgate window repair gone wrong

Hey guys. I really need some help. I replaced my tailgate window lifter channel today. I also removed and replaced the outer wipe with a new one....was hoping I could reuse the inner wipe. Well, once I got everything replaced, I rolled the window up and the inner wipe was binding..was ruined actually. So here's my situation:

The only way I can get the window to go all the way up is to have someone in the back of the wagon pushing outwards on the glass so that it goes into the upper tailgate glass channel.

When I tried reusing the old inner wipe, the window would not go all the way up because the lifter channel was catching on the inner wipe.

So, now, I've ruined the inner wipe, trying various things I only have an outer wipe now.

So, I know you are thinking..."just order a new inner wipe and you'll be set"....well, its not that simple. I seem to have enough clearence between the tailgate and lifter channel on one side to install the inner wipes, but the other side simply has no room for an inner wipe...i.e. a new wipe would bind just like the old one did. See picture below:

Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 PM

When you took the picture was your window all the way up? If so are you bowing the window by it being to tight?
78 3/4 power wagon army surplus
68 Charger R/T (long road ahead)
35 Plymouth
Old 02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

you may need to adjust the lower glass channel

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart
Old 02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Señor Jackhead

edit: Good feedback Phil. Had not considered that adjustment.

Question: Did you install the new lift channel in the same orientation as the old one on the glass? I am wondering if you got it backwards maybe. The slots for the arms are offset to one side of the channel.

Fact: The inner wipe seems to be hard to find right now as we are waiting on one. It may be a while I am told. They are fairly easy to bend and then you are pretty much hosed.

We are waiting for a good time to rebuild Krista's 77 wag gate with new channels, seals and lift channel. I have wondered if we should wait until the inner wipe has arrived.

I have seen the tailgate window slot opening squished before and that will create window up/down headaches. Sometime the inside deck is actually cracked in the center near the latch handle and window opening from wieght on the tailgate over the years of use. This can make the window slot a narrower gap. Did yours work OK before? Or somewhat?
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Master Mechanic

Somebody laid something heavy on the tailgate and pushed it in. Did that myself once.
You have to pull the inside back out. Remove the window and just pry or pull it back out.
Ralph
Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Rich, yes, the window was up when I took the pics, but I don't think the window was bowed from being too tight.

Phil, I actually installed new side channels and also tried adjusting them as you mentioned, but no dice.

Ralph, the tailgate isn't caved in or bent; I dont think this is the problem.

I'd had enough tailgate drama for one day, so I went ahead and put the carpet back on the tailgate for now. I think I might need a whole new regulator assembly. Let me explain why I think this and you guys can tell me if you agree or not...

The whole reason I started into this tailgate repair was because when I would try to roll the window down, it would make it part of the way down and then start making this "pop, pop, pop, pop" noise. You would then have to help the window down by pressing it down the rest of the way, while still turning the key. Below is a picture of what the tailgate looked like BEFORE I started my repairs today. As you can see, the lifter channel was pretty rotten, so I figured that must be the culprit.

As you look at the pictures below, notice the wooden block that the PO had wedged under the regulator assembly. I can only assume that the reason that this wooden block is here was to remedy the "popping" by raising the gear wheel so that it would be lined up with the gear plate. Soooo, since the gear wheel was still not engaging properly, I added a 1/8" shim to raise it up just a little more. No more popping. The gear wheel and gear plate were now lined up properly. I *think* this might be whats causing the "tight fit" on that side of the tailgate...seems logical to me.

Since there was room for an inner wipe before I started my repairs today, I went back in and removed the 1/8" shim to see if that made any difference. It didn't; it was still very tight on that side of the tailgate. The only thing I can think of is that the old lifer channel was so rusted out that there was literally no lifter channel there to bind with the old inner wipe. I even removed the new outer wipe to see if it was the outer wipe that was pushing the window in too much on that side. With both wipes off, it was still tight on the inner side. Sigh

Any thoughts or recommendations on next steps? I really want to get this tailgate window working.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Gear Head

I think like Flint mentioned, the channel is possibly backwards. In the pic you can see the old one has the lip edge showing. The rounded side down,where regulator arms attatch. Since you changed the sides you cant eyeball them for reference. Im going to see if mine is like that...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJEEPER
I think like Flint mentioned, the channel is possibly backwards. In the pic you can see the old one has the lip edge showing. The rounded side down,where regulator arms attatch. Since you changed the sides you cant eyeball them for reference. Im going to see if mine is like that...

I installed the new one the same as the old. lip side up / rounded side down.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

in the TSM it seems to show the so called lip is to be towards the inside of the jeep.
Have you tried taking the wood blocks out? That can be pushing the glass too far inward, yet the lower side channels 'should' help guide the glass to its proper exit of the gate as it is lifting.
I'd take the wipes off and work on getting the glass to exit in the middle of the opening first. You may need a new regulator if you can't get the gears to mesh properly without those wood blocks (they are not a oem part after all).

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart
Old 02-09-2008, 02:39 PM

panel gap

With the glass down and the wipes off (or on, guess it doesn't matter),
is the gap between the inside panel and outside panel uniform all the way across?
In your very first pic it looks like the RH side gets awfully close.
I'd make sure the panels are correct and then tackle the adjustments
and mysterious wood block.