International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM

amc 360+ eliminating emission stuff

alright im rebuilding my 2150 carb and while im at it i feel like plugging off some of the polution control stuff. the cat is already gone, the oxygen pump is toast and the exhaust mantifold, where the emission stuff hooks up is busted. so i plugged the busted mantifold and now i want to get rid of the stuff i dont need. i know to keep the egr valve and the part for the choke, which i need to fix. but after that im clueless, so anybody want to fill me in.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Hey there!

I got rid of my vacuum stuff (Running propane) a few months ago......I removed the two CTOs in the front of the engine (Theromostat housing and front-passenger side of manifold) and installed some plugs from summit....that also got me rid of a ton of vacuum hoses....
TF-999 / Dana300
SOA/SRS
36" Iroks
FSJ 44/20
Old 05-23-2007, 10:16 PM

I suggest the diagram in my sig. Only instead of running the spark cto, just connect the vacuum advance hose to manifold vacuum, and skip the ported vacuum. Then adjust the vacuum advance to start moving at about 7inches, then tune it to give you advance at the lowest vacuum you can without it pinging under acceleration.

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification
Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy123
alright im rebuilding my 2150 carb and while im at it i feel like plugging off some of the polution control stuff. the cat is already gone, the oxygen pump is toast and the exhaust mantifold, where the emission stuff hooks up is busted. so i plugged the busted mantifold and now i want to get rid of the stuff i dont need. i know to keep the egr valve and the part for the choke, which i need to fix. but after that im clueless, so anybody want to fill me in.

What year is your Jeep?

Thought it would be simple, forgot it was a Jeep.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:04 AM

my jeep is a 1985
Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 PM
258 I6

i'll be moving to phoenix here hopefully soon. i know phx doesn't have any sort of emissions testing, does anywhere else in az? i.e.payson? may be moving up there. if no, would cutting out a lot of the pollution stuff help with fuel milage? the truck is an '86 gw that was originally a ca. vehicle so i don't know if back then there were special ca. emissions requirements?

or is it better to keep the emissions stuff and have it all running properly? was the engine designed to be more efficient with the emissions stuff?

thx
Old 05-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madduck
i'll be moving to phoenix here hopefully soon. i know phx doesn't have any sort of emissions testing,
Are you sure about that?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Grease Monkey

Wink

thankfully, there isn't that much pollution control stuff on the v8s -- at least, not as compared to the 258 I-6.

Air pump/injection manifold and EGR / associated temp switches are the main things ((at least on 1983/ earlier Cherokee & Wag V8s-- might not be accurate for 85))-- sounds like you already have addressed them in some manner.

The vacuum on the choke module helps the choke respond ((close)) when the engine heats up, based on intake manifold temp., I would leave it in place. If the EGR has been disabled, then the vacuum source to the temperature switches (CTUs) can be capped.

The vacum tube to the air cleaner snout should be left in place and remain functional. THis helps pre-heat the carb. in cold weather to prevent carb icing and allows fresh air intake in warm weather.

I would also keep the vacuum source to the fuel tank vapor cannister -- this does not have an appreciable effect on performance and will help prevent fuel vapors from escaping ((into your garage)).

FYI --
I have added aftermarket High Energy ignition systems to my jeep V8s ((Davis Unified Ignition)) for a reasonable price, that greatly increased power. On one, I also went with hedders, again increasing power, with a noticeable sacrifice in fuel economy.

hope this helps

regards
df (siq-jeep-man)
84 J10, 258 ("Bluto" - project, almost friggin done)
2000 Cherokee XJ, 4.0L (small project)
JD317 (buzz) Hot Rod lawn tractor
big pile of parts from all above

Last edited by 3jeepsdeep : 05-27-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 PM

I replaced my intake mani gasket as I had a vacuum leak from it...
confirmed by my spraying carb cleaner on the bolts and getting a surge in rpm...
I cleaned up my emissions system, 86 ing most of it.
I have yet to adjust timing or carb. But I am still bogging down like I did when I had the vacuum leak. I have a noticable amount of power increase.. but she has hard starts when cold and dies from time to time when cold... and bogs down a bit here and there.
Had to restart a few time on my test drive unless I feathered the throttle.. suggestions?

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1953 Buick Special
2010 Subaru Legacy
Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madduck
i'll be moving to phoenix here hopefully soon. i know phx doesn't have any sort of emissions testing, does anywhere else in az? i.e.payson? may be moving up there. if no, would cutting out a lot of the pollution stuff help with fuel milage? the truck is an '86 gw that was originally a ca. vehicle so i don't know if back then there were special ca. emissions requirements?

or is it better to keep the emissions stuff and have it all running properly? was the engine designed to be more efficient with the emissions stuff?

thx

Phoenix is in Maricopa County and you bet the smog nazis will gitcha! I lived in Apache Junction and even though it's in Pinal County I still had to go thru smog. You might be OK in Payson, Flagg, Sedona, and the like but dont count on it. As far as CA goes ... there are 49 state cars and then there are CA compliant cars. CA smog nazis make the others seem like childs play most often.

If you remove anything remove EVERYTHING associated with the system AND keep it! If you just plug up the AIR system and reroute the vacuum stuff your cats WILL plug up for sure and your performance will fall on its face.
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 10-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Mike in Colorado, the answer is your choke plate is not closing properly. Start it while cold and watch it. Adjust it to be sure it remains closed or partially closed while he engine is still cold!!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:34 AM
350 Buick

so if i have an 85 is this a good layout to follow if i want to keep my emission stuff? the PO made a huge mess of the vac lines on the top of the manifold. and im trying to find something i can follow as a map.
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks
Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va4wd
Mike in Colorado, the answer is your choke plate is not closing properly. Start it while cold and watch it. Adjust it to be sure it remains closed or partially closed while he engine is still cold!!

It was closing on it's own as the jeep cooled last night. is there a spec for it fully closed that I can measure with a feeler gauge?

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1953 Buick Special
2010 Subaru Legacy
Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 PM

I got mine dialed in...
Here was the laundry list of troubles...
1 timing was severely retarded....
2 vacuum leak on intake mani
3 vacuum leak on carb over by the choke
4. vacuum advance was not functioning properly
5. carb needed major adjustment.

I utilized a timing light, vacuum gauge, and a solid state analyzer for rpm to tune her in perfect....
she runs like butter now and I can drive it cold, floor it and no bogging.

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1953 Buick Special
2010 Subaru Legacy
Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

niiiiiiice congrats!
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 AM

we'll see how she runs this morning...but last night it was like a brand new jeep

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1953 Buick Special
2010 Subaru Legacy
Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinColorado
It was closing on it's own as the jeep cooled last night. is there a spec for it fully closed that I can measure with a feeler gauge?

it needs to snap fully and firmly shut. upon starting it forcefully partially opens. that is the choke pull-off,and is adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 AM

On my '87 J10 the only remain smog stuff is---NONE. It does have an Edellbrock intake and carb. No chance of smog vacuum leaks on this rig and Fl doesnt have inspections. Not yet--Obama most likely will change that to generate revenue.