International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Suspension and Steering

Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Grease Monkey

How to align new gearbox??

I've got the wheels centered, the old gearbox out, and ready to install my new donor s10 box...How do I align the gearbox correctly so with the pitman arm installed, my steering wheel is straight? I know 'about' where it should go. But, how do you guys get it right the first time?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
232 I6

This is all great to know, I replaced the lines on mine, but its still leaking. Hopefully its not this, but if it is - great to know!

Platinum Silver over Burgundy

In 1987, Road and Track called the Grand Wagoneer "one of the most capable off-roaders going" and "a first-rate off-roader and inclement weather vehicle AMC has honed close to perfection." It also called the interior "truly grand."

Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palexand
I've got the wheels centered, the old gearbox out, and ready to install my new donor s10 box...How do I align the gearbox correctly so with the pitman arm installed, my steering wheel is straight? I know 'about' where it should go. But, how do you guys get it right the first time?

The pitman arm should be keyed. There are 4 large splines at each quarter on the output shaft on the gear box. As long as it's real close you can adjust it the rest of the way with the draglink adjustment.

aa
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Grease Monkey

Update on my s10 gearbox experience:

After getting the correct part # to mate up with the pitman arm on my '86 gw (see thread from me on that labor of #$% (errr, love), I got the new steering gearbox installed last week - no problem.

The truck drives like a dream on the road - 3/4 of a spin from the steering wheel for a 90* turn, and only a turn and a half for a u-ey. Impressive and tight. Road worthiness and confidence in the lane is vastly improved. With something this large, you expect to be steering a pack of wild animals to keep it straight - have to say, it took me two days to get the feel for it and stop pulling and fighting it. Now, I need to work on the front suspension - new ball joints, sway bay/end link bushings, steering stabilizer, shocks, and a 4-whl alignment to shore up the looseness. Not to mention, tightening the lower steering column that plagues us. That'll be a first for me. That's a terribly annoying feature.