X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 2001

GM 6.2/6.5 TD Questions...FSJeeper

I have absolutely no experience with the GM diesels. I did live next to a guy with an early 80's 6.2 powered 3/4 ton. Every morning, expecially in the winter the engine noise would rattle my windows.

I have heard the 6.5 is far better than the 6.2, why?

Are the motor mounts positioned the same as a small block?

I registered to the 6.2/6.5 Diesel board but still don't have access.

For the cost of a Cummins 4BT, I would buy a complete vehicle with a running GM diesel.
    David
    76 NT Cherokee
    83 CJ7
    05 Frontier CC 4x2
  • OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
    GRUMPY
    • Apr 10, 2001

243,,,YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THIS BUT NO REPLYS...THAT'S JUST ABOUT AS BAD!!! SOOOOO TO THE TOP.... WE GO^^^^^^^^...WITH ALL THIS RAIN...I THINK I'VE LOST IT!!!

Comment

• FSJeeper
      King of Unfinished Projects
      • May 20, 2000

The 6.2/6.5 use the same engine mounts and position that the SBC/BBC use.

The 6.5 is only better because it is turbocharged. The 6.5 turbo setup can be put on the 6.2. The engines are basically the same except the 6.5 uses different heads with pre cumbustion chambers. Most parts interchange. Both have forged roller cams. My engine is a combination of 6.2/6.5 parts.

The 6.2's get a bad rap for being noisy underpowered pigs and it is true. Drive a military CUCV truck with a 6.2 and it is a different world, they have the J series engines and the engines are not noisy and they have good power. It does not take very much to change a civilian 6.2. Even without a turbo you can get decent power. A lot of people are paying attention to these engines now that there is so much information on modifying them. The diesel page has everything you need to know.

The Cummins engines are superior to the GM Detroit Allison engines, no doubt about it. But the GM is the cheapest way to get into a diesel. And they can very easily made to be great engines.

Trick is to run the J series non pollution intake, open up the exhaust, and bump up the injection pump for maximum efficency which will help quiet the engine down. Add a turbo and it really wakes things up.

Keeping these engines alive is staying out of the higher rpm ranges, the tend to sling rods when run at sustained high rpms. There are fixes for this problem though.

I have some CUCV drivetrains, CUCV trucks, and a complete 6.5 turbo setup if you are interested.
      In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• Marvin Gates
        304 AMC
        • Oct 22, 2001

243, a friend of mine has an 87 Suburban with a 6.2 in it, he bought it new and has 190,000 miles on it he just went on a 8,000 mile trip and kept track of the fuel he used and miles from the time he left until he got back and it came out to 22.9 mpg that was driving mostly at 70 mph, a Suburban is about as aerodynamic as a cabover Freightliner. He says the secret to a long life in a diesel is never jump in and take off, always warm it up. He had to put one fuel pump on it ($600) but thats not bad in 15 years. I think if you were to use a Banks turbo set up it would really bring it to life, but thats big bucks. MG [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Regards Marv
        #1881 just for the record.
        FSJeepless for a short time.
        Need a J10 tho.

Comment

• FSJeeper
          King of Unfinished Projects
          • May 20, 2000

There is a fuel injection shop in Waco, Texas that has the govt. contract for the injection work. They know the 6.2 Stanadyne injection pump like no one else. They will do all the upgrades and mods these pumps need, blueprint them, and bump the injection flow up for you for only $250.
          I put one of these on a CUCV truck and it was the best single modification I have ever done on an engine. Completely changed the power and responsivness. Changing the injection pump is a very easy job.

If you shop, you can get parts for these a lot cheaper than gas engines through the various military surplus places. Ebay and other places always have deals. If you go to the GM dealer for anything for a 6.2/6.5, be ready to spend too much. Parts on the surplus market are plentiful.

Banks and other turbo setups are also cheap at ebay and the various diesel sites. I bought a complete setup for another truck for $700.

Once you get into the parts connections, the GM diesels are cheap to maintain.
          In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• James 007
            327 Rambler
            • May 29, 2002

Marvin Gates & anyone else-

What years on Suburban's were a diesel engine was stock/option?

My brother-in-law was thinking of getting an older 'burb... things he wanted were, diesel engine & 4X4 features. In CA ...we can't swap in a diesel to a vehicle unless it did factory/option. Thanx James [img]smile.gif[/img]
            \'87 GrandWagoneer w/ sunroof<br />Holley 650 Dble-Pump Spreadbore<br />MSD Billit Dist/6A Ignition/Blaster2<br />AMC401 Stroker 10:2:1 C/R<br />Edlebrock Performer w/EGR<br />Edlebrock TFS Headers w/ wrap<br />727TF/NP229/D44\'s w/ 3.31\'s<br />4Wheel Slotted/Disc Brakes SSB<br /><br /><i>Powered by</i> <a href=\"http://www.namdra.org/\" target=\"_blank\"><b>NAMDRA</b></a><br /> <a href=\"http://pub8.ezboard.com/bamcforum/\" target=\"_blank\"><b>AMC FORUM</b></a>

Comment

• reddog
              304 AMC
              • Jul 26, 2000

I may be wrong here but I don't think that the burb came 4X4 AND diesel.

I had an 84 crew cab SRW with the 6.2 and the banks stuff (turbo and exhaust) with the injection pump richened up some and the truck ran great.

Kerry
              87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• Marvin Gates
                304 AMC
                • Oct 22, 2001

My friends Burb is an 87 4X4 from the factory, they are everywhere up here in Wa. state, Im not sure when they came out but I know at least 87. I've driven this one a lot its a 6.2 if it had a turbo it wood be very cool. His son in law has a 93 crew cab 4X4 chevy with the 6.5 and that thing runs great. Everyone I've talked to says to use 94 and down so you don't have to mess with computer stuff. MG [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Regards Marv
                #1881 just for the record.
                FSJeepless for a short time.
                Need a J10 tho.

Comment

• BigSHO
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 07, 2002

It is 93 and down diesel chevy's with the mechanical full injection pump that you want to have. I have 215,000 miles on mine and only had one pump in my 93 which is the only year of the turbo and mechanical injection.
                  84 Wagoneer 360 <br />np435 np 205 was a TF727 np208<br />(The Jeep)<br /><br />1966 Ford Mustang Convertible <br />289 HiPo 4 speed 90K original<br /><br />1993 Chevy K2500 Diesel 220,000 miles original engine.

Comment

• TNScrambler
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 16, 2003

My current driver is an '89 v1500 (soon to be v2500) 4x4 with a 6.2.....230,000 and still puttin along just fine. My last one was an '84 k10 6.2 4x4 with optional rusted out body Both get high teen milage around town.

FSJeeper.... $250 for all that work to the pump sounds cheap! Maybe you can clear something up for me, I've read on GM-Diesel.com 's forums that the normal civilan J-code intakes are dual plane like the egr C-code, but that the military non-egr J-codes were single plane?? Also, do you have any of the J-codes you'd be willing to part with? I also might be willing to talk about the turbo set-up you have.

Thanks,
                    Justin Ray
                    1990 GMC Suburban V3500 D60, 14b, 4.56s, locked, 315s ---- Daily Driver / Tow Rig

1985 Ramcharger 360/np435/klune v/np205 Dynatrac60f 4.10s detroit/ d70 4.10s spool 38" boggers on h1s Choped, tubbed, tubed, and flamed ---- Crawler

Comment

Working...
                    X