International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM

Wants to die in gear

It's been a while since I posted as my project has been on the back burner for a while.
I recently did the TFI mod with fantastic results, it drives really well and the acceleration is snappy. However it wants to die when idling in gear, less so in park. If I run the A/C it will stall. It is worse when it is warmed up.
I'm not really sure where to start.
I have really appreciated all of the help I have received from the board in the past, and if anyone has some ideas, it would be a great help.
Thanks in advance

"New Jepe" 1988 Grand Wagoneer. Driver.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Vacuum leaks?

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Gear Head

Check to see if you have any spark wires crossed or touching.

Future
Something Sweet with mean capabilities .
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM

When mine did that, the ignition module was on its last legs...

Good luck!

Julia
A few pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/10040474...0764102/Waggy#
Building a new one, one part at a time
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_squirrel
It's been a while since I posted as my project has been on the back burner for a while.
I recently did the TFI mod with fantastic results, it drives really well and the acceleration is snappy. However it wants to die when idling in gear, less so in park. If I run the A/C it will stall. It is worse when it is warmed up.
I'm not really sure where to start.
I have really appreciated all of the help I have received from the board in the past, and if anyone has some ideas, it would be a great help.
Thanks in advance

Classic symptom of idle mixture too lean. Crank out the idle mixture screws (CCW) until symptom goes away.

Otherwise, the ignition system has no clue whether your in Park or Drive.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich88
Classic symptom of idle mixture too lean. Crank out the idle mixture screws (CCW) until symptom goes away.

Otherwise, the ignition system has no clue whether your in Park or Drive.

I appreciate all of the advice, I think the vacuum is good as I've gone over and triple checked all of the hoses and fittings. The plug wires are brand new. I do have a brand new ignition module that I haven't tried yet. So far I think the idle mixture could be the culprit.
I thought the idle speed might be too low, but I think Ill check the mixture first.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_squirrel
I appreciate all of the advice, I think the vacuum is good as I've gone over and triple checked all of the hoses and fittings. The plug wires are brand new. I do have a brand new ignition module that I haven't tried yet. So far I think the idle mixture could be the culprit.
I thought the idle speed might be too low, but I think Ill check the mixture first.

Often people will adjust the idle mixture as lean as they can get it thinking they're saving gas or something. Fact is, when you put it in gear, the tranny loads the engine and in order for the engine to come up with a few extra HP to stay running, it need to get the power from ....yes, gas. There's a balancing act between idle mixture and idle speed, and in park vs. drive. Ideally you should be at 650 rpm in park and go down to only about 600 in drive...and certainly stay running smoothly. All I ever do is crank the idle jets richer until this happens. No matter what the book sez, your engine will want the right balance for its particular condition. And yes, you may spend 15-20 minutes going back 'n forth between idle speed and mixture until you get it dialed in.

However, the above all supposes you have no vacuum leaks and valves are in decent condition. Otherwise, you have to settle for best compromise.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM

The idle mixture screws were at totally different settings. One was about 2-1/2 turns out and the other was about 1-3/4. I screwed them in all the way and started three turns out, then in a little until the idle seemed to drop, then out about another quarter turn. I think I ended up about 2-3/4 turns out. It no longer stalls in gear and drives fine, but the idle is still crap.
I noticed that the accelerator pump is leaking fuel from the carb to pump gasket. I dont know if this affects idle, but I definitely need to take care of this next.