International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-20-2002, 01:53 AM
Grease Monkey

what are the downsides to a simple spring-over and changing the pitman angle?
Old 04-20-2002, 02:08 AM
Gear Head

Doing a SOA by its nature, you keep your factory ride quality. I don't think I've found one lifted rig yet, that maintained ride quality. (Although I hear the Softrides come close)

At the same time, some insurance companies aren't to fond of SOAs (probably due to bad experiences *read money losses* due to incompetent people doing SOAs) And wont insure a vehicle with SOA. Up here where I live, in theory, if you do such modifications, you're SUPPOSED to go to the RCMP detachment, have them issue you a new vin number (basically reclassifies your truck as a home built vehicle) and inspect your vehicle (for roadworthiness). I don't know anyone who has, but its pretty common knowledge that you're supposed to...

Andy
Old 04-20-2002, 03:00 AM

The key factor for me going with a spring lift (besides the information here on the board) was that my springs are shot. Since I would have to get new springs anyway, the spring lift seemed like the way to go.
Old 04-20-2002, 03:03 AM
Master of B.S.

I went to SOA Because I am a cheap Bast**d. Plus I like the articulation it gives me. But it is all a matter of preference really.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Gear Head

Thumbs up

I went with the SOA and Riverbeast rear lift so I can can use stock springs and it's alot cheaper $$$$ wise. But if you had to pay yourself, it would probablly cost more.
<b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg
Old 04-21-2002, 11:34 AM

Question

If you have SOA can you still install a lift kit?
Old 04-21-2002, 03:08 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PolarCoastie:
If you have SOA can you still install a lift kit?<hr></blockquote>

yes you can, assuming you have leveled the rear (ie:shackle inversion) a lift kit, say 4 inch will give you 4 inch + the 5-7 inchs of lift a soa will give you
Old 04-21-2002, 04:40 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ztec:

yes you can, assuming you have leveled the rear (ie:shackle inversion) a lift kit, say 4 inch will give you 4 inch + the 5-7 inchs of lift a soa will give you
<hr></blockquote>

That's up to 11 inches of lift. What will that kind of altitude do to the driveline angles of a J-20? Unless it was a mall crawler in stock trim that kind of lift has to take you past 15 degrees. Would CV joints fix that?