International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Gear Head

OK, It's about time to replace the Wag's exhaust. Now, the sound I'm looking for is the pretty-darn-loud-big-block sound. I'm not worried about the noise in the cab, I'm already used to that from the HUM of the tires. Another thing, I want to get this sound as cheaply as possible. I've heard that glasspacks make that big-block rumble. Is that true? I've found Dynomax Thrush glasspacks for about $17 a piece. If I could get away with new exhaust at less than $100, I'd be really happy. If not glasspacks, then what kind of exhaust should I run to make this sound? Thanks. -Zach
Old 05-18-2002, 10:20 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I, for one, love the resonant rumble and cackle of a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I think it's the 40 series...whatever one is the "original" sound. I will be removing my glasspacks from my Jeep, and putting on dual flowmasters. My 79 Pontiac Grand Prix has duals with glasspacks. I like the sound they make on it, but they are getting burned out now, and only after 2 years. Flowmasters will be going on there too. My opinion.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Gear Head

I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my S-10 4.3 and it sounds awesome. BUT, the install + muffler + chrome tips was nearly $300!!! I can't be spending that on the Wag But what about those glasspacks, do they make the big noisy sound I'm looking for?
Old 05-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Yup.. They are good and loud on both my vehicles. You could install the mufflers and stuff yourself to cut down on costs. But yeah, the Flowmaster is a little more $$ than you were talking about. Also, the shorter the glasspack the louder and more cackly the exhaust is. An 18" is what is on my truck.

[ May 18, 2002: Message edited by: RustyJeep ]</p>
Old 05-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Gear Head

Hey RustyJeep, do you know what size diameter your inlets/outlets are? Where'd you get your glasspacks? Do you know what kind they are?
Old 05-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Master of B.S.

I run dual glasspacks on my wag. It is plenty load and you can get the sound you are looking for. I also wanted the cheap route . I bought two cherry bombs from checker, 18" 2 1/4 in/out. I then just bolted it all together. I will be having it done proffesioanlly soon though, and when I do I will be staying with the glass packs. This is just me.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Gear Head

Smile

IMHO stealth is better.

I use GW mostly for hunting, fishing and trail riding. The last thing that I want to do is disturb the tranquility of the woods. There will be enough noise when the shot goes off.

Also, you do not need negative perception from non-off-roaders with the noise etc.

I do like the sound of a healthy V-8 and if thats your bag go for it.

It's all about enjoying and building your FSJ for you!

Jeeps are built not bought!
<b>WINGO</b><br />Vineland, NJ<br />USA<br /> 1984 GW 360 <br />Front Axle: \'79 W/T, SOA<br />Rear Axle: \'80 W/T, Riverbeast Kit<br />Body: 3 \" Body Lift<br />Transfer case: \'82 CJ, Twin Stick Dana 300<br />Wheels: Stock Rims w/ 31\" X 10.5\" Kelly MT<p>A good reason to buy Todd\'s kit!<br />http://imaget.webphotos.iwon.com/100...PM0.601864.jpg
Old 05-18-2002, 02:25 PM
FSJ Executioner

i got a 20 inch cherrybomb on mine and it barely changed in sound. i got it from pepboys for like 14 bucks.
1986 f350 6.9 diesel hp60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 36x12.5 military wranglers. TOY!
NO JEEP
I am ready to meet my Maker. Wether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter
Old 05-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

My duals that I have right now are 2"I.D. for the mufflers. They are Cherry Bombs, but I have heard of the Thrush ones, and they are pretty much exactly the same. I bought mine from Quality Farm & Fleet when they were still in business., but most any auto parts place can get you glasspacks...they're pretty much all the same.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:37 PM

right now i am running dual straight pipes one under each door and exit right before the rear tire. the exhaust is a 2" pipe and where the glasspacks should be the PO welded in a 2 1/2" pipe the look of a glasspack but a whole bunch louder i like the sound but i dont think mr police man would understand so i will be installing two 36" cherry bombs.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Gear Head

WINGO, down South it's a little different The louder, the better! I don't really have to worry about the non-offroaders much because I only drive the Wag to the trail that I'm going wheeling on. Porkchop, this "Checkers" store must be some mid-western store, we don't have any around here Is it about the equivalent of AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts? Could I order glasspacks from those places? How much did your cherry bombs run you? -Zach
Old 05-18-2002, 03:16 PM
304 AMC

Please don't run glasspacks on your fullsize jeep. Save them for the posuer chevies and mexicans cruisings their junk. If you put that loud rattley crap on your ride, I'll be the dude laughing at you yelling "JUNK!!!" as loud as I can out my window. You probably won't hear me because that's the reason those stupid "mufflers" are loud, so you can't hear people laugh at you.
If you really want to be cool and sound loud just run open pipes, then I'll have respect. other wise, get a real muffler, for the love of gawd.
Check summit racing, they have a turbo-style muffler for as little as you'll pay for a cherrybomb crapo-tube. It'll sound much less offensive and nobody will hate you.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Master Mechanic

Hey BigBadWag I will have to agree with with your last statement about the south. I grew up in upstate New York and got in trouble all the time for loud muffs. I was out in the country up threre too. Down here I live right in the middle of a city and have never gotten questioned for noise or hieght. And by the way I am running duel 20" glasspacks. They sounded better when I had 4" tips at the end but I kept bashing them shut. So I cut it all off just aft of the rear axle.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:57 PM
FSJ Maniac

look man i'm all about tossing the loser glasspack image if you want the good sound try summits welded mufflers they are fairly cheap and make good power off all the budget muffers they made the most. plus you make more power than with glass packs you lose low end tourqe with glass pack because you have no back pressure they just plain suck. plus it does scream "white trash " and this comming from a guy who grew up in the south (n.c.) i learned better than that plus i had enought attention from local and state law enforcement i didn't need glasspacks to send them a mating call...lol not saying anyone here who has 'em is white trash but i'm a southern boy and i'd be ashamed to have em on anything i own .hope i didn't step on any toes
1997 2 door Tahoe sport
preparing for a bleak future...
Old 05-18-2002, 04:04 PM
Master Mechanic

Angry

Ouch my **** toes !!!!!
Old 05-18-2002, 04:06 PM
304 AMC

I'm white trash and proud, but I still don't like glasspacks
Old 05-18-2002, 04:09 PM
FSJ Maniac

there's a differance between red neck and white trash ...trust me i found out last night ..met this girl...uhh another time maybe ....
1997 2 door Tahoe sport
Old 05-18-2002, 04:13 PM
304 AMC

big differnence: White trash punk rockers vs. redneck cowboys Punks usually win because we've got steel-toed sneakers and baseball bats!
Old 05-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Woah, woah, woah....punk rockers can't always be associated with white trash. I do admit tho, that I wear steel toed Dr. Martens and I'm even in a punk rock band. It is true, that most glasspack mufflers do hinder performance. They create more turbulance in the airflow, and don't flow as good as a good welded muffler. Thats why I'm swapping mine out for Flowmasters. I love the resonant sound of Flowmasters. But...TO EACH HIS OWN. I won't judge someone because of their preference of muffler.

[ May 18, 2002: Message edited by: RustyJeep ]</p>
Old 05-18-2002, 05:56 PM
FSJ Maniac

true true ...not my problem as long as i don't have em on my wag ..lol it's just a sore sport with me just like folks not using there turn signal ...rrrrrrrr
1997 2 door Tahoe sport