International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 AM

Need help with power steering fliud leak

Hi Guys. I am having to fill up with power steering fluid about every 7-10 days. I finally got around to crawling under and taking a look this morning. I am not exactly sure where the leak is coming from, but you can see where its dripping from in the picture...mostly around the drag link adj sleeve, with some drips from the bottom of the pitman arm. I assume that the leak is coming from the steering gear?

Any advice on how to fix this?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Cowboy Up

Clean it all up with some simple green, let it dry and then run it for a bit. It could be as simple as a leak at the hose ports in the box.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Same prob

I had the same problem. Have a buddy turn your steering wheel all the way over to one side while the engine is running. That will increase the pump pressure and you should find out soon after where the leak is coming from. Wear safety goggles because it could spray out a bunch!

Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 PM

You could also blow the pitman shaft seal out if you lean on the wheel too much.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM

ok. I cleaned everything up and top it off with fluid and it was pretty obvious where the leaking was coming from. How hard is it to replace the seal between the pump and the reservoir? Seal kit is about 6 bucks...a new pump and reservoir with the seal already in place is around 65 bucks.

I'd like to just replace the seal if its not too much of a PITA and as long as others have had good luck with the new seal actually sealing.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Grease Monkey

Not to bad replacing the housing seal, just clean everything and oil your new seal when you put it back together.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Master Mechanic

Well, if you're mechanically inclined, it's not too bad. The real PITA is pulling the pulley off so if you have a puller, it makes life alot easier. I didn't and used a standard gear puller cuz I'm cheap and I didn't want to buy the proper tool. In the long run, I should have probably just bought new but what are ya gonna do?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Buy the new pump...
I had my pump go out (didn't leak too badly.. Just went out because its 200K miles out)... I bought a new pump without the res. Put it in and it leaked like crazy... Ran out of fluid on the way home (longish trip) but I was in a hurry so I kept going. Long short I had damaged the new pump... Bought ANOTHER... Put it in (after coming here for adivce)... STILL leaked. Bought the pump with the res already on it... Put it in in 20 minutes and it works perfectly now with no leaks.

Only thing I can figure is that the res I had was warped a bit or something and did not seal correctly. Either way the $65 is worth it for the piece of mind and not having to deal with it again if it doesn't work.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1998
Well, if you're mechanically inclined, it's not too bad. The real PITA is pulling the pulley off so if you have a puller, it makes life alot easier. I didn't and used a standard gear puller cuz I'm cheap and I didn't want to buy the proper tool. In the long run, I should have probably just bought new but what are ya gonna do?

Loan-a-tool... Its a life saver and its free. Advance lets you return them up to 30 days for a full refund...
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Ok. I went ahead and replaced the power steering pump with one of the combo units that comes with the pump and reservoir already attached.

The good news is no more leaks...the bad news is that my engine is running really rough with the new pump. When I turn the steering wheel, the idle goes from sounding like a smooth throaty idle to sounding like a drag racer / harley type idle.

Its really wierd...its worse in drive (sitting still, not moving, 0 mph) than it is in park or neutral.

Could I have the belt too tight or something? I can't for the life of me understand whats causing this.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 PM

I tried loosing the belt....to the point where it was even slipping a little and that didnt help...

I tightened it back up and noticed that there is a little wobble in the power steering pulley that I am not sure whether it was there before or not...its not warped much...maybe a millimeter or 2

Could this be the culprit? Again, it seems odd that such a little wobble would impact the idle of the engine. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Did you bleed the system?

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Quote:
...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Old 07-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Yeah, I did bleed the system. Another thing that is odd is that everything seemed fine right after I swapped the pump.

I swapped the pump on Friday, test drove it and it was smooth. Cranked it up yesterday and it was acting up....which makes me think that this doesnt have anything to do with the pulley.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Ok, I took the power steering belt off completely and the engine still ran like crap...The only thing I can think of now is that maybe I somehow managed to foul up a spark plug when I was swapping the PS pump? I did spill a fair amount of fluid in there.

-Frustrated
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 AM
FSJ Maniac

You could have popped a plug wire off or maybe kinked/pinched your fuel line. I would true up the pulley too just because.

JR

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
1966 mustang fastback
'07 Dodge Charger 3.5
Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Yeah, I think it was related to one of the spark plugs. I pulled a few of them and reinstalled them and things seem to be back to normal now.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM

How do you bleed the steering system? My rig is leaking pretty bad as well. I am most likely going to need to replace the steering gear box, thinking about replacing the pump/res. while I'm at it... its in not so good shape.
"Tessie" (as in 2 ton Tessie, well really 3tons)- 1987 AMC Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Hedman Headers, True Dual Exhaust with custom installed sidepipes, 4 Barrel Holley Carb, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake Manifold... the list goes on, but she still needs work.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWagoneer
How do you bleed the steering system?

I've always lifted the front wheels off the ground with a jack, then turned the key to the on position to unlock the steering wheel (engine off), then turned the steering wheel all the way from side to side a few times. Top off the fluid, then I start up the engine while the tires are still off the ground, and cycle the wheel back and forth again.

Not sure if that is the text book way, but its worked for me multiple times.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 AM

Thank you very much.
"Tessie" (as in 2 ton Tessie, well really 3tons)- 1987 AMC Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Hedman Headers, True Dual Exhaust with custom installed sidepipes, 4 Barrel Holley Carb, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake Manifold... the list goes on, but she still needs work.