International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 03-16-2020, 09:08 AM
232 I6

Put a motion activated sprinkler set under the truck and Mikel's game camera to film the surprised gas-grabber when it sprays him.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
Game camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbinius
Put a motion activated sprinkler set under the truck and Mikel's game camera to film the surprised gas-grabber when it sprays him.

That's funny right there

I like that idea but I happen to have an HD mini camera sitting on my desk that I bought for another purpose. I need to buy an SD card for it to work, so I guess I'm going to put on my biohazard suit and make my way to Wal-Mart tomorrow to buy one and see if I can catch the gas thief. Although I'm not sure what good it will do.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:07 PM
258 I6

Today I ran out and bought a new mini SD card for my little camera...I really hate dealing with stupid Before I went to Wal-Mart I checked to see that the card I wanted was in stock, not only was it in stock it also said "only available in store" and "3 in stock at this store".

So I go to the store with a picture on my phone of the item that says "3 in stock at this store" and ask her where it was. She said "That's online only". I explain that it says this store has 3 of them. She walked over to a shelf, picks a different one that is some brand I've never heard of and online isn't showing as available and said that is what they have. I explained that if their inventory is wrong they should fix it and I would prefer the Sandisk one if they have it. She then whips out a phone and looks it up and once again tells me it's online only. I point out that it says "Not available online, only available in store". She then rather snottily said "lets see what's available in our store". She then finds exactly what I already told and showed her, that it shows they have 3 in stock. She then tells me she has never seen them and doesn't know where they might be.

Stupid and snotty about it makes me angry but I kept my cool and just bought the one she had cut from the hanger but she kind of threw my thinking off and I forgot I also needed some DVD-Rs and I forgot to buy them but I also needed some canned chili in my emergency supplies so I needed to go to Big Lots because they are the only ones around here that carry Wolf Brand. While there it turned out they are the only ones in the area that actually have toilet paper in stock. My wife bought TP from Amazon just as this whole Covid-19 thing started but I bought some at big lots just because I could. It never hurts to have some extra. I think I'm going to list it on craigslist for a dollar a sheet

Then I needed to go put gas in my son's car because he can't work due to health and they needed to go to Seattle for doctors appointments and I have a dollar a gallon off at Safeway. So I went to grab my 5 gallon gas can off the truck because their mustang only holds 13 gallons and I try to buy as close to 25 as I can whenever I have a dollar off. So I went to grab my 5 gallon can off the truck. I had it strapped to the sideboard with a ratchet strap. When I got to it I found the ratchet strap was loose as if someone loosened it to see if there was any gas in it to steal.

So I think last night I missed my opportunity to see who is stealing gas and probably lost another 5 gallons of it out of my tank. I'm glad I only paid $1.70 a gallon but now I am going to have to wait another 2 weeks to catch them.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 AM
232 I6

Hope you find the clown that keeps swiping your gas. Post up pics everywhere once you get them, and have the Police shoot on sight. Jackasses...
Old 03-19-2020, 06:54 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
Hope you find the clown that keeps swiping your gas. Post up pics everywhere once you get them, and have the Police shoot on sight. Jackasses...

Me too, not that it will do any good. Around here nobody bothers with petty crimes. People constantly steal from the grocery store down the street and nobody even tries to stop them but I guess we will see what happens. Maybe it's someone I can identify and I can sneak over to his car one night with a can of spray foam and a long enough hose that I can fill their exhaust with spray foam far enough in that they won't be able to see it.

I've been trying to figure out how to get this little spy camera to work on both motion sensor and infrared and I think I finally have it figured out. It only has 2 buttons and doesn't record while plugged in to the computer so it's sort of blind faith and hope that it is correct. I tried it at my desk and it seemed to work but I won't really know until tomorrow.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 03-19-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 PM
258 I6

A lot has been happening in my little world, unfortunately not to the truck.

Granny got some bunny ears and an Easter basket full of eggs from the dollar store because with so much going on right now I didn't want to spend the money on an Easter bunny costume. Unfortunately the dye on the basket ran when it got wet and stained her apron but I don't think she will be on there much longer.

A few days ago at work we were given a choice between taking a "voluntary" 30 day leave or having our hours reduced to 30hrs a week for the next 3 months. I chose the reduced hours option although I certainly could have used 30 days off to finish the truck and everything else but motivation to do much of anything has been hard to come by.

Because I already had a 2 week vacation scheduled for mid April, during which I planned to paint the truck, it works out that I will be working exactly 8 days in April. So now it looks like I will have the time to do the work on the truck if I can only find the motivation. My wife and I have been making a list of what is left to buy to finish the paint so we can get the truck finished and hopefully it will have a shiny new paint job and be back to being prissy soon
Old 03-31-2020, 08:29 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
Because I already had a 2 week vacation scheduled for mid April, during which I planned to paint the truck, it works out that I will be working exactly 8 days in April. So now it looks like I will have the time to do the work on the truck if I can only find the motivation. My wife and I have been making a list of what is left to buy to finish the paint so we can get the truck finished and hopefully it will have a shiny new paint job and be back to being prissy soon

Silver linings, Cranky. Come the end of April you'll have an amazingly good looking truck to drive around in and enjoy...and a full bed that Granny can take a ride in ready for Memorial/Day/4th of July.
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD
Old 04-02-2020, 01:38 AM

I would add the UV stuff to your fuel so you can track down who took your gas by the vapor from their tailpipe and the UV glasses.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:30 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnuck
I would add the UV stuff to your fuel so you can track down who took your gas by the vapor from their tailpipe and the UV glasses.

Is that real or an April fools joke? I've never heard of such a thing, where do I get that and how does it work?

As far as gas people are driving less now and the cost is coming down so hopefully that will discourage them a bit, plus in one more week the truck will be down for the rest of the month for the paint job. I'm considering a few anti theft measures to go into effect once the bed goes on, like a screen in the filler neck and something around the tank, filler hose and fuel lines and probably a different fuel filler neck with a better, less easy to find locking cap so it's harder to find a key for it.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:12 PM
232 I6

I cant wait to see it painted! I love this truck it has come a long way!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddversatile
I cant wait to see it painted! I love this truck it has come a long way!

Me too, I just hope I can accomplish that in the 3 weeks I'm giving myself to get it done.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:06 PM
258 I6

Today I got a call over my work radio proclaiming that "A crow is attacking your granny!"

I went out to the parking lot where one of the guys showed me a picture of a crow standing on the back of the rocking chair pulling hair out of granny's head. I assume it wanted the hair for nesting materials. I tucked all her hair up under her bonnet to protect it as best as I could but when I left this afternoon the bonnet was pulled back and her hair was sticking out where the crow had been at it again.

I'm only 2 days away from vacation and figure I only have one more days worth of gas so tomorrow afternoon the truck is going to be parked until the paint is done.

I have been slowly taking things off in preparation for the paint. Saturday I pulled the headlight rings, extra headlights and stainless bracket covers. Yesterday I pulled the chrome strips off the door and cab along with the "Custom Cab" badges. I hope to pull the grill and possibly the front bumper tomorrow. Then once my vacation starts I will pull everything else that needs removed to have the body ready for sanding and body work.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Oh man! This is gonna be good! I love your truck and am really excited to see it come together!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 04-10-2020, 06:06 PM
258 I6

My vacation officially began yesterday and I haven't done much with the truck yet. I did go borrow a paint gun yesterday from one of the guys I work with. I was hoping to buy a 3M Accuspray gun but with the recent uncertainty, work cutbacks and possible layoffs in the future my financial manager (AKA MRS Cranky) vetoed the idea So I have to make due with a borrowed Devilbis FinishLine, which should be fine. I have always regretted selling my old Binks 62.

On my way back from my friends house I stopped at Autozone and picked up some cans of spray paint in 2 of the 3 potential colors I am thinking about. One is Chrysler Dark Garnet Red Pearl, the other is Ford Dark Toreador red Metallic. I painted them on the inner fender inserts that I removed due to rust so I could compare them. They are very similar colors depending on the light. The Toreador is a little browner and the Garnet a little purpler.

Here are some pictures

These first 3 are the Garnet taken at different angles

These next 3 are the Toreador taken at the same angles as the Garnet

At the moment I'm favoring the Toreador, it seems slightly richer and very much the same color as the cherries my black cherry trees produce, although I go back and forth between the two as the sunlight changes.

I'm also considering adding some more metallic to it when I choose the paint and possibly adding some clear so when it is sprayed it has a little more depth. Back in the old days I would often make a sort of faux candy paint this way that turned out well.

I still have one more color to look at that is a current Chevy color, I think it's called Cajun Red but not positive. I need to go to a dealer in daylight and see if I can find it, hold up a sample I made of the Wimbledon white and see what I think before I make the final decision.

Today was all about getting to the garage so I can begin the whole process of setting up to paint. You might think getting to the garage would be straight forward but then you wouldn't know me. Everything in my life is never very straight forward.

Last January while I was home sick with what I am pretty sure was Covid-19 one of the guys I work with pruned his gigantic Rainier Cherry tree. He called me up and asked if I want the trimmings for my smoker since he has a pellet smoker and I'm still old school. I told him "Hell Yes" so he brought an entire pickup load and piled it in front of my garage.

After finally getting better it took me forever to have the energy to even think about tackling that pile and when I was finally feeling well enough the weather was pretty bad so I did very little with it.

Today is a warm sunny day and I decided it was perfect for smoking a nice big(ish) brisket and work on reducing that brush pile down to 2-3 inch chunks of smoking wood. So that is what I have been doing today. I began at the crack of 7 driving all my neighbors crazy with the smell of smoked brisket cooking and shortly followed that with the sound of my miter saw. I have now completely filled a trash can with cherry chunks and am a little more than half way through the pile but I need to find something to put the rest of it in.

I did get a little more done on the truck the other day at work. I cut out the rust on the passenger fender

and made a filler for it

I didn't have much time for anything else besides removing the grill.

The damage to the fenders might be a little more severe than I thought but they are the fenders I have so I will work with them. Ideally I could find some damaged fenders with that part of the flares in good shape that I could cut sections out of but I haven't found any yet so I will make due.

That's about it for now. My plan for the next step is to remove the wood bed, pressure wash the frame and treat and paint that, then start removing everything and start sanding. Of course there will be other things that need done like cleaning up the back yard and finishing the shed I started a year ago
Old 04-14-2020, 08:33 PM
258 I6

I finally finished cutting up all the cherry wood for the smoker but still need to clean and mow the back yard but felt I needed to make progress on the truck. So today I took the bed and ballast box off and moved Granny to the front porch where she is scaring the pee out of the UPS and amazon delivery people

After that I took the mirrors and miscellaneous stuff off then drove to the local car wash to give everything a good cleaning before I take the lights and fenders off. I then took the bumper off and discovered this little bit of rust through I will need to address on the header.

It's not particularly big or difficult to deal with, it's just one more thing to add to a very long list.

So as of this evening the truck looks like this

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the fenders off and begin fixing them and the header and a couple minor things on the doors.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:14 AM
258 I6

Today was a busy day of not working on the truck but I got a really good price on some whole tenderloines and was able to buy toilet paper

I did manage to find the time to get the fenders off

Unfortunately underneath the fenders I found hidden rust on the inner fenders

So that's one more thing to deal with before I can paint but once done it should be good for at least another 20-30 years
Old 04-16-2020, 09:23 AM
350 Buick

I have a set of 72 inner fenders that should require less welding.
Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock
Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk
I have a set of 72 inner fenders that should require less welding.

Thank you for the offer. I'd like to do that but I've already begun the repairs and unless you are planning a trip out to Seattle in the next couple days I doubt we could get them here before I would be able to get the repairs done to this set.

Fortunately I already have the metal I need and hopefully enough welding gas to get all the welding done.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:32 PM
258 I6

Yesterday I managed to cut out the damage on the right inner fender and made up templates for fabbing up replacement parts. I welded in a small easy to make piece then moved over to the left side where I promptly broke my last cut off wheel

So I ran up to my work and cut out what I could and grabbed some more cut off wheels while I was out.

Today I welded the parts onto the right side so all that's left there is a little grinding to make the part on the top pretty. I checked the fit of the fender then I cut all the damage out on the left side and made templates so I can once again run up to work and cut those out. Hopefully I can manage that this afternoon, I might even take the fenders with me so I can take my die grinder to it to remove the rust and undercoat where I need to get stuff done like take off the trim and badges. This undercoat is a real pain to remove I went through about 20 roloc discs just to clean up the the area I needed to weld on the left inner fender and still need to do the same on the right.

Last edited by Crankyolman : 04-17-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:43 PM
258 I6

This afternoon I ran up to my work to use the shop to make some parts. I got the metal cut for the repairs on the left inner fenders.

I also brought the fenders with me and used a die grinder to clean up the fasteners for the trim and badges to make them easier to remove and cut the rust out and fabricated the patches. Basically the section where the brace attached to the flares was rotten, everything else is pretty solid.

So, hopefully I find time tomorrow to get that stuff welded on and the flares fixed, then it's on to the small welds that need done to fill random holes and that little bit in the header.