• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • racegas
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 15, 2012

drip rail trim

I posted this as a reply in the wanted section and got zero replies. I thought I'd get at least a couple inquiries, but nada. I'll put it up here just to confirm there is no interest, or for better exposure.

I've installed the new plastic chrome stuff. It lasted about six months before it started delaminating and discoloring. I have found a guy who will make new drip rail out of stainless steel. He gave me a ballpark of $50/ 8' stick. When I talked to him last week, he was checking to see what finishes were available, in other words, how brushed or polished it would be from the start. That answer may change the cost if a finer finish is dramatically higher in material cost.

Here is the rub. I'd have to pay for the entire sheet of which he could get 40 sticks out of. While I'd like to have SS rails, they aren't worth that much to me. While I would guess that many reading this will say, 'sign me up' , experience says once I have them and start asking for $, it'll be like cockroaches when you turn the lights on. Here is my idea, I'll make it a three stick minimum, make a $125 deposit, with the balance due before shipping, plus the ride. I'll pack them in pvc for protection. You'd be welcome to pick them up here in Richmond if you'd like. Any takers?
    232 I6
    • Nov 30, 2006

I'm a couple hours drive from Richmond, and my drip rail looks awful right now -- but I'm quite a ways from 'pretty parts' right now. Any idea on how easy it would be to bend into place for say the back around the rear windshield?
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    2001 XJ Sport
    - Solar Yellow -Sold
    1988 Grand Wagoneer - Stock, typical non-existent '88 Dover Grey Paint Job, AMC 360 V8, Gasoline Super Soaker

Comment

• asudchiman
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 03, 2016

Originally posted by racegas
      I posted this as a reply in the wanted section and got zero replies. I thought I'd get at least a couple inquiries, but nada. I'll put it up here just to confirm there is no interest, or for better exposure.

I've installed the new plastic chrome stuff. It lasted about six months before it started delaminating and discoloring. I have found a guy who will make new drip rail out of stainless steel. He gave me a ballpark of $50/ 8' stick. When I talked to him last week, he was checking to see what finishes were available, in other words, how brushed or polished it would be from the start. That answer may change the cost if a finer finish is dramatically higher in material cost.

Here is the rub. I'd have to pay for the entire sheet of which he could get 40 sticks out of. While I'd like to have SS rails, they aren't worth that much to me. While I would guess that many reading this will say, 'sign me up' , experience says once I have them and start asking for $, it'll be like cockroaches when you turn the lights on. Here is my idea, I'll make it a three stick minimum, make a $125 deposit, with the balance due before shipping, plus the ride. I'll pack them in pvc for protection. You'd be welcome to pick them up here in Richmond if you'd like. Any takers?

So a $125 deposit, what do we think the total cost would be for one jeep minus the shipping? How are these installed? I am a sucker for shinny things.
      Current Jeep Fleet:
      1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
      ------------------------------------------------
      Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• racegas
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 15, 2012

Xenolithic - these are just the strips that run up the outside edge of the A column and the length of the roof, over the doors. It is not the 'C' shaped piece around the rear glass opening.

asudchiman - I still haven't heard back on the cost of different SS finishes. Right now, for a finish similar to your average SS sink, we are looking at $50/stick and while you don't need the entirety of each length, it would take the majority of three sticks, so total as it is today would be $150. The originals snap on, around the actual vertical leg of the painted drip rail which comes off the roof.

I'd need at least ten sets sold to pull the trigger. I'm not interested in making this a cottage industry, just trying to get a set for my GW made economically.
        'Robert E Lee'
        89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• Rdomeck
          232 I6
          • Dec 10, 2015

See if one of the vendors would be willing to invest... Would it be worth paying $200 for a set and not have the investment?

Comment

• asudchiman
            327 Rambler
            • Feb 03, 2016

Originally posted by Rdomeck
            See if one of the vendors would be willing to invest... Would it be worth paying $200 for a set and not have the investment?
            Great idea. I know we are not the only ones who would want these...

Current Jeep Fleet:
            1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
            ------------------------------------------------
            Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• racegas
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 15, 2012

Thought I'd bump this to the top one more time. I've got 4 signed on, need 6 more.

Anyone else?
              'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Cherokee Outlaw
                • Jan 10, 2006

I might be willing. What are you doing about the corner piece where the two pieces meet?
                -Jonny B.
                1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• racegas
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 15, 2012

I've got a set on my GW, and a spare set.

I haven't played close attention but it seems like those are easy to come by, based on the sale stuff I have seen. Since even the late models used SS, they have survived, I suppose.
                  'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 04, 2014

I might would also be interested in a set. So $150 shipped in the end with $125 down? Ours looks like poo, Ive got another set on hand that looks ok but SS would be amazing.

Ill try to watch the thread and if you get enough people Ill go for it. And I wont be a cockroach.

You say three sticks. So would we need to cut them to the correct length once we get them?

Ive also got a spare set of the corner pieces. They seem to sell at a good price so I grabbed some off a parts rig.
                    2004 Jeep Liberty
                    1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                    1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• racegas
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jul 15, 2012

$150 plus the ride. I'll pack inside PVC pipe with padding. It would be three 8' sticks. One for each side of the roof, and then the third one would cover the A pillars.
                      'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• racegas
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jul 15, 2012

The unofficial(no $ asked for yet) count is 7 sets spoken for as of today. Need three more to pull the trigger...
                        'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• 86grandwagoneer
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 29, 2014

I will take one set for the $150 shipped.

Comment

• racegas
                            327 Rambler
                            • Jul 15, 2012

its actually going to be $150 plus the ride. If 86grandwagoneer is in, that makes #9. Just need one more to move forward...
                            'Robert E Lee'

Comment

• averse
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 13, 2009

Originally posted by racegas
                              its actually going to be $150 plus the ride. If 86grandwagoneer is in, that makes #9. Just need one more to move forward...
                              I will go in for a set....Your gonna take PayPal right? I would prefer to just pay for the whole deal at once....shipping to 40209 please.

Anyone got a nice set of corners they want to sell to complete the set, please send me a PM....

Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X