View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:17 PM
304 AMC

The best advice I could ever give is don't do it. Unless you had property that needed a lot of work, and paying someone to perform the work for a break even costs of purchasing one, run like hel*.
We have been saving for 5 years for what I predicted.... A replacement engine.
I have blown that budget so far away it is unnerving. I keep finding stuff that is to messed up to leave alone. Like this... Splines wiped down to a knife edge and probably a weeks worth of work from failure. One of the mounting bolts was stripped and it was always moving. Replacement splined shaft 120 bucks and not to be found anywhere. NLA. 950 bucks for my only option, a new pump.

Another example. My shift knobs are all worn and sun bleached. John Deere wants 78 dollars each for them. Holy moly they are a plastic phenolic round ball with no metal insert even. I found perfect replacements on McMaster Carr for 3.72 each. Stuff like that is a nice find, but some things can't be substituted. I absolutely love fixing things up. I am enjoying the repair work on this crawler. But I simply don't earn enough money to support this machine to keep it in the reliable condition I prefer. Soooo, realizing I really don't need it after some property clearing this summer, and finding it leaves a huge mess moving snow, I am going to sell it later. I am pretty sure of that. I get by fine with my plow truck, snow blower, and an old backhoe I paid a very low price for. Keep watching for the final product. I should get my injection pump and the turbo that started this thread in a couple days. I can button it up and turn the key. But unless you need a tool like this one, don't bother. I have mixed feelings every time I wrench on it.

Holy Moly, I am done.....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
71 project J truck FOR SALE
1970 J truck long bed bed FOR SALE
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1983 FJ60 wagon
CJ-5's
83 CJ-7 excellent shape FOR SALE
And soon... Another M715! echo... echo...