• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabz
    232 I6
    • Apr 06, 2005

4.2 to 5.9 engine mounts and engine placement

Hello.
    I have an 81 i10 that used to be a 4.2 4spd truck.
    It was hacked into a 5.9 4spd and I mean hacked.

My question is I want to correct the hack and go 5.9 727.

Do I have to change the frame mount brackets for the 5.9?

And what holes/ do i use to mount the trans crossmember?
    Jeep rich, Cash poor.
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by cabz
    Hello.
    I have an 81 i10 that used to be a 4.2 4spd truck.
    It was hacked into a 5.9 4spd and I mean hacked.

My question is I want to correct the hack and go 5.9 727.

Do I have to change the frame mount brackets for the 5.9?

And what holes/ do i use to mount the trans crossmember?
    Have you located a donor for the 360/A727? I would just copy what I found in the donor. There are many differences between the I6 and V8 vehicles - this has been covered a lot in previous post on this forum. You can search with Google or other online search engines and find plenty of reference material.
    Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

There are parts books on the Tom Collins sites that will confirm the difference in the frame towers for the 6 and V8. Again, find a donor for what you need online with a site like car-part.com, or advertise in the WTB forums here and at other Jeep sites. You could also look for parts cars in the for-sale forum here and at other Jeep forums.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• backroadin'
      350 Buick
      • Aug 11, 2004

Did the hacker change the frame mounts? If not, the correct v8 frame horns will be different - yes.

Not sure on the frame holes for the tranny x-member, but if you mock it up it should be obvious. My guess would be the rear ones since the auto tranny is longer, but it really depends on where the mount mounts on it. If you're changing / welding in new frame horns, then you can position them to use whatever set of holes you need to.

Good luck with the project!
      1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

Working...
      X