Closed knuckle inner and outer oil seal replacement-write up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 68wagoneer

I changed out mine sometime back, it was a pretty easy job, and they were leaking bad. I asked the forum at the time about what to put back in for lube and everyone replied gear oil which is what I used. I did a post search but then realized I had a different handle back then and don't remember what that was. Doesn't leak and have had no seepage into the drum. I think maybe that the old grease in there mixed with the new gear oil and made the proper consistency. Let's hope so. I plan to check that out here soon. Levels have been good since the seal change.
    Mike Hopkins

Comment

• 68wagoneer

Oh yeah, good write up Kaiserman and thanks H callaway for the lube info.
      Also I think I got the seal kits from Tellico 4x4, they were Omix-ada I believe. Don't remember how much but it was reasonable.
      Mike Hopkins

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

Just to add a little, NAPA sells a neoprene replacement for the felt seal. They aren't cheap though.
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

Excellent write up, Thomas!
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

Like -joe and some others here I have had more than my fair share of closed knuckle axles over the years
            Way back when the folks here at Willys Works told me to just make my own lube.
            One part bearing greese with one part gear oil, mix it up into a nice soup.
            It's messy, but I never had any problem with that combination.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
            X