• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mxlt
    258 I6
    • Jan 13, 2003

Valve Stem Seals, Which ones?

I bought a Felpro Gasket Set for a 360 and it came with a couple bags of Valve Stem Seals. Question here is which set is better. One bag has some clear ones and are Nylon. The other bag has black ones and are Polycrylate. Can anyone provide some recommendation. Here some pictures:
    '79 Cherokee S W/T
    '84 Grand Wagonner
    '78 J20 Levi\'s Edition
  • Mxlt
    258 I6
    • Jan 13, 2003

Anyone? I really need your help here. I'm working on tthe 360 heads and need to complete this part.
    Thanks
    '79 Cherokee S W/T
    '84 Grand Wagonner
    '78 J20 Levi\'s Edition

Comment

• Retro93
      Junk Collector
      • Nov 02, 2001

Either will work fine as long as they fit tightly around the valve stem/head boss. Personally, I use polyacrylate...no good reason...just always use them.
      79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

try the black ones,the nylon ones seem to walk up,off the guide.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Mxlt
          258 I6
          • Jan 13, 2003

Muchas Gracias Amigos. I knew I could count on you. You are a big help. Now I'll keep working so I can finish up this step.

Regards
          '79 Cherokee S W/T
          '84 Grand Wagonner
          '78 J20 Levi\'s Edition

Comment

• Arborigine
            232 I6
            • Jan 25, 2006

Just out of curiousity, what does the printing on the bags say?
            I am going to replace the valve seals on my engine while it's out.

Comment

• Driftwood
              350 Buick
              • Jun 12, 2000

I am beginning the teardown to replace my valve stem seals. So between the two types of seals, which ones were used?
              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 18, 2003

Back from the dead!!...lol

I just had a set of heads re-done and got the same two bags of seals in the gasket kit. I took them both to the machiene shop and asked them. He said the nylon ones are better. So I took his advice and used them.
                79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • May 19, 2002

Originally posted by JeepsAndGuns
                  Back from the dead!!...lol

I just had a set of heads re-done and got the same two bags of seals in the gasket kit. I took them both to the machiene shop and asked them. He said the nylon ones are better. So I took his advice and used them.
                  Ha! I did the same thing, and they used the black ones. So I guess the official verdict so far is "who the heck knows"?

S.J.
                  "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                  360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                  T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

....and i've since decided i like the nylon umbrella seals better,lol!
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Lindel
                      Perfesser of Jeepology
                      • Jun 15, 2000

Remove all doubt, use both!
                      Jeep Grounds
                      RRV Homepage
                      Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer
                      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                      1999 Wrangler Sport
                      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by Serious Johnson
                        Ha! I did the same thing, and they used the black ones. So I guess the official verdict so far is "who the heck knows"?

S.J.
                        Probably no one!
                        I wonder just how much of a diffrence there really is. I think either one will work fine. But I am keeping the extra ones, so incase these start leaking, I have some new ones...lol
                        79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                        Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                        93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Walt
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 24, 2003

They spec the rubber one for older cars and the nylon for newer. I asked my machine shop guy which ones I should use and he said "Aw hell, it don't matter. I always just use the black ones".
                          That guy turned out to be an idiot. After the 2nd time he botched the heads I took them to a competent shop and had them machined for positive seals while they were machining for rocker studs.
                          No offense to anyone who recommended the rubber ones...
                          Seriously, though, I think the only reason they put both in the package is because the older motors originally came with rubber and then at some point they improved the design and switched to nylon.
                          I found a bunch of rubber chunks down in the oil pan from deteriorated rubber seals, so I imagine they felt nylon was an improvement. The nylon ones fit tight on the stem but may eventually will crack and get loose on the stem; the rubber ones go on real easy, but will get hard and then eventually start breaking up as they continue to deteriorate.
                          90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• Lindel
                            Perfesser of Jeepology
                            • Jun 15, 2000

In all seriousness, Walt is right. If you're in a hurry, use the rubber ones (not really rubber, but close enough). If you've got time to spare, use the nylon ones.

Quick note to make them a LOT easier to install, heat them in boiling water, they'll slip on with no fuss.
                            Jeep Grounds
                            RRV Homepage
                            Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer
                            AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                            1999 Wrangler Sport
                            4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• RWalker
                              232 I6
                              • Jul 06, 2002

When I pulled my engine apart it had the nylon seals and they were cracked up so I went with the black ones. It didn't smoke with the cracked seals and doesn't smoke with the new black ones. Either way you'll have a back up set and if you did them yourself you'll know how to install them if needed.
                              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X