Hydro boost install write up w/pics
View Single Post
06-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I got the Willys....
Join Date: Jun 21, 2005
Location: Huntington, Ma.
After installing the hydro-boost in the above write up I found out it was bad. Luckily I had a spare HB that tested good. I didn’t want to have to take the spare HB to someone to have the push rod welded back together, so I decided to use a threaded on push rod eye. That was the goal I started with. What I ended up with is a way to mount a HB with out modifying the push rod length.
In order to mount the HB in without cutting the push rod I used a pair of 3" spacer brackets from a Bendix power brake system that I had pulled from my 67 Wagoneer. This setup was used on all Dauntless 350 powered Jeeps. I turned the brackets around, so the face that bolted to the firewall now bolts up to the HB backing plate. I also had to drill a new set of holes in the brackets in order to mount them to the firewall. In between the brackets and the firewall is a 3/8” spacer. I added this because with out it the pushrod bottomed out the brake pedal. In retrospect a ¼” spacer would have worked better, as the 3/8” spacer causes the brake pedal to sit slightly lower then the clutch pedal.
Spacer brackets with 3/8" spacer plate, stock cover plate (you can just see it in the bottom right hand corner) and a new viynl weather seal.
A differant angle of the same piece.
You can see that the brake pedal is just a little lower then the clutch pedal. This is with the 3/8" spacer.
The push rod lines up perfectly. The eye still needed to be opedn up to fit the Jeep stud.
In order to mount the HB to the spacer brackets I had to drill two holes in between the middle and lower mounting holes. The HB mounting plates middle holes line up with the spacer brackets lower holes. I have trimmed the HB plate for looks.
Everything al bolted back together. In this photo you can see just how much I have trimmed the HB mounting plate. The lower hols are stock, and the upper hols are the ones I had to drill.
A nice side shot. This assembly is LONG! The ratty looking thing between the spacer brackets and the HB plate are the original gaskets.
I had to clearance the heat tube to make room for the accumulator. I simply heated the tube up and beat it with a hammer until I had gained about ¼” of clearance. As you can see, the accumulator fits in nicely now.
Heat tube clearanced with a torch and a big hammer.
Accumulator fits in nice now. It was touching the heat tube before.
Everthing all done up (except one brake line that is to short).
1975 Chevy K20 8400lb GVW Camper Special
J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18
View Public Profile
Send a private message to KaiserMan
Send email to KaiserMan
Find all posts by KaiserMan