Thread: Repainting cost
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 PM
350 Buick

I got a quote a few years back(don't remember how many now, but ive had it since 13') for the Cherokee(XJ) at $4K *IF* they found no rust. They didn't go into what it would be if they found rust. That was for the dark blue color that it is.

I didn't get it done, there was rust (that I later took care of myself) and it didn't seem right putting $4K into it just for a paint job.

Someone above mentioned about prep work being easy and paint work being hard... For myself, I have found that it is the opposite. For the most part, what I have painted looked good. The prep is where I've had the problems at, and is what I would think would cost the most. Just think. You have to (at least I have) spend days getting the metal to look "right" with all the sanding and bondo(shaping) work. (that's after getting rid of rust or damage) Then all the time spent laying plastic/paper and all the tape work. That all takes time. Then after your prepped, you lay the paint. Depending on what I'm doing, that takes like an hour or few. Then I'm done. Easy peasy. Not too often where I have to re-do the paint. Only time I've had problems is when I got bad paint. (spitting)

Gotta add that I've only sprayed with cans, never an actual spray gun. I get the paint from a company called automotive touch up and they match pretty darn good.
...still kinda rusty

The other's
1926 Dodge Brothers 5 pass. Business Sedan 212-I4, 3 speed, CRANK START (new long term project)
1987 Lincoln Town Car "Signature Series" 5.0, AOD unknown gears
1987 Dodge Dakota LE 3.9,A999TF,3.90gears(DD)
1994 GMC 'Burban L05-5.7,4L60E,3.73gears(DD)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0,AW4,3.73gears(thinkin of selling)