• May 30, 2009

Great build please keep it coming!
      -2000 Volkswagen Jetta diesel
      -1976 Wagoneer 401/Turbo 400/QT with 4 low/Dana 44s

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps

I have seen easier ways to clean and paint the frame.
        Heh. Makes you wonder if it might have been easier (even at this point) to use the donor body in toto.

Good work though - inspiring.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

I absolutely agree on the body work. The 69 donor had good components. Except all the back stuff I have replaced already. And the rockers. No rust at all, but at the end of this rigs life someone wanted to wheel it with great big tires and bashed the end of both rockers in with a big sledge hammer to make room for the tires. It looks to be a wash on which body needs more work. This is also really good experience for me.
          The owner really wanted the original body. Sentimental value is huge here.
          I need to knock out he bulk of this work soon. I need to be in several places at once soon. Building a new shop, selling my place, keeping active on the repair, new girlfriend. Ya hoo.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have more to show soon.
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 70FSJ
            230 Tornado
            • Mar 05, 2009

Wonderful Work! Great job! If you need some original 1970 hub caps let me know - I will send you a picture of what I have. They're your's free - since your doing all this hard work on a 1970. I have gone to some white spoke wagon wheels and won't be going back to original.

Sincerely,
            Steven

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

That sounds great Steven on those hub caps. His were dented and needing a lot of work. I will use the best of all of them. Thank you. I will pass on the donation to the owner and give you credit for it, That is generous. I will also send a PM with my home email.

I had to cut the panel in half to remove it. Also to install it because of the bracing on the back gate and window opening. There is a ton of clean up to do. Only a few small repair to the new donor parts. I could definately see that this wag was T-boned at one time. The floor was buckled and popped a few times when drilling spot welds. The edge up at the rocker has lost it's 90 degree shape from the repair done years ago. It had a ton of broken spot welds and brazing done. I will spend some time on it.

It was very heavy.

My favorite part. Removing old hard undercoating from 1970. It helpded where the oil leaks were as it softened it a little.

This was really trashing my wrists so I put some different chemicals on that evening to ss if anything worked. I tried paint stripper, Super clean, and Acetone. The paint stripper worked well but not till it sat overnight first.
              Then I tried putting saran wrap on the stripper in the almost hot sun. It worked great. The saran wrap kept the stripper working longer.

I started saving other parts from the 69. These are the lower inner pillar skins. This is great having them here.

I used two cans of easy off on the frame and gear boxes. Talk about greasy. I will clean up and paint the frame with Napa chassis black. That's stuff is incredibly tough. My pressure washer is 4K so it gets it done.

They are cleaning up nicely.

Stay tuned...
              Melford1972 says...
              I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

Stripping undercoating is not much fun. After 4 soaking applications with saran wrap the undercoating was off. I did it over saw horses with a sheet of plywood to catch all the junk. Then a good wash with detergent.
                At the same time I am doing this, I am sealing my foundation on my house with fibered roofing and concrete tar. It skins over in a day. I have painted both a rusty piece and a new piece of metal with this messy junk. It resembles the undercoating almost exactly. Has anybody used this stuff to undercoat a vehicle? I am watching the test pieces through out this build to see how it dries out. It will definitely seal and quiet the ride.There is a whole another arena to research.

I treated the surface rust with OSPHO to get rid of it. Again another detergent rinse. That stuff will burn or blind you. Wear your safety junk.
                My shop is a pig pen. I am trying to pack and move soon. This rig cannot be moved yet.

I peeled back all the unneeded metal to get things cleaned up. I will sand back the surface rust and coat it with bill hirsch urethane. Except where I weld.

I welded the typical vertical cracks where the wheel house front meets the seat surround. When this replacement panel is installed I will plate across the fracture area on the back side with a sheet metal bridge to hopefully prevent cracks in the future.

This also shows one small area of rotten edge and floor. This panel is in great condition considering.

Back side of the wheel house. Where the plate will go.

The bad edge fix.

I am going to try and experiment with a metal engraver to try and blend the grain of the wheel houses. I can weld it up but I am not so sure about making that weld go away. I know it will have carpet but I would like to try.

I need a soda blaster.

More stay tuned...
                Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 10-02-2010, 07:30 PM.
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

Still doing edge repairs. This is down around the side of the rear seat surround where it meets the rocker panel or door sill.

It was a two part repair.

Another spot in the floor.

Meanwhile painting the frame with Napa chassis black. This is very tough but expensive paint at 9 bucks a can.

I am running electrical and new brake lines before installing the panels. I am also getting the hat channels painted with Bill Hirsch urethane rust killer paint.

Inside the door pillars. There is a little bit of repair needed here.

After everything is welded I will wick the BH paint in the seams to stop the rest of the rust. Then seam sealer should give it another 40 years.

More to come.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• PhilG
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 27, 2006

prob dummest question . .

I was curious was size/gauge the sheet metal is for all of the forming you did on the rear. Incredible work. Makes me wonder what I have gotten rid of in the past because I didnt think it could be repaired. Truly inspiring work.
                    Phil
                    1971 J2000
                    In the sticks in Central Louisiana

Comment

• Smiff
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 17, 2010

Talk about a built jeep! Very impressive.
                      Brian
                      86 GW, stock 360/trans "Frank"
                      Edelbrock carb on Offy intake
                      Some kind of spring lift (BJs 6 maybe)
                      Desert faded paint/body work courtesy AZ trails

USAF: Dropping Bombs and Hauling Grunts Since 1947

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by PhilG
                        I was curious was size/gauge the sheet metal is for all of the forming you did on the rear. Incredible work. Makes me wonder what I have gotten rid of in the past because I didnt think it could be repaired. Truly inspiring work.
                        Phil
                        It is 18 GA PhilG. Once it is formed it is pretty stiff. Along with the replacement floor from the donor 69 rig I will have most of a full 4X8 sheet of metal in this rig. Wow.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• loganvilledude
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 10, 2009

First off my condolences to you for the loss of your family members earlier this Summer. The same thing happened to us losing two members within a 10 day period so I am with you on that.

I must say that this puts a true meaning that there is no limit to cost in sentimental value.

Absolutely the best thread for a Jeep restoration on this site. Your attention to detail is the best of the best.

I wish you were my neighbor!
                          89 Wagoneer / White Woody / 4" Skyjacker / 360 AMC / A Former Odessan
                          http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg8/odessadude/

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

Thank you Loganvilledude for the words on losing family. 8 months seems like a minute sometimes. Where is the manual for that?

Lots of good stuff is happening here. I got my 5 acres and I am going to put up the biggest shop I can afford. I am hoping for a 40X60 with a loft for doing the cleaner resto work. Like sewing up my military seat cushions and interior work. I might have to occupy it for a few months beforehand. The house comes later.

I have been chasing the final few edge repairs for the two rear floor sections. Two more spots on the tub to repair and the panels will get a final fitting and some metal glue to hold it all in.

This is the passenger rear door rocker sill where it meets the wheel well. The other side is worse.

Stretching the new part before cutting back the edge to the proper profile.

Presto.

Time for some brake lines. There is a blank spot in the books at NAPA (No Auto Parts Availible) for a 70 waggie, on the rear rubber brake line . From 67 to 72 there is nothing. I have one in that will work from another application. I have a box of 6 or 8 new hoses I canot find. Grrrr.
                            I also wrapped and installed the wiring harness with frame clips.

Time to drill gas filler and eletrical holes. I am still spraying the rubber filler necks with 303. They are starting to soften but not much. It takes months.

I need to prep the undersides. Check out the 22 bullet hole by the mirror. LOL.

More later...
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                              360 AMC
                              • Oct 02, 2002

Forgot these two.

This is the GMC bed panel I used for a rear floor. I am adding the stiffener and hat channel.

It made it a very solid piece.

OK carry on.
                              Melford1972 says...
                              -----------------------
                              I make wag parts
                              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                              1968 M715 restomod
                              2001 Dodge 3500
                              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• YJ-4BT
                                232 I6
                                • May 13, 2010

You do wonderful work my friend

Comment

Working...
                                X