X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

I had a set of those caps still in chrome on my GW for a little while. One day I was talking with an avid Toyota wheeler dude and he was eyeing my Jeep. When he looked at the rear wheel, "ohhhh, full floater, huh"... Yessir
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
      258 I6
      • Dec 17, 2018

Love the caps with those wheels!
      Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
      Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
      PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
      "Soon" is a relative term.
      Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• J76137
        232 I6
        • Sep 03, 2019

I reread your post and paid closer attention to the rust and seam sealer. I am currently fixing rust on mine in those same places. Hopefully I have some success. It is good to know that seem sealer does belong in those areas. Very helpful.
        My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
          Always! Especially when it's her Waggy! The caps go very nicely with the wheels.
          Originally posted by Rusty76
          Looks sick!
          Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
          Love the caps with those wheels!
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          To be honest, when you told me about the black center caps on your black wheels i was skeptical. I WAS WRONG! They look fantastic!
          Thank's gentlemen! I agree! Thanks again 78WIDETRAC!!!
          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Thanks for covering how you dealt with the seam rust, Marc! I have the same issue on mine. Luckily I've had my windows out a few times and there is no rust under the gaskets either....
          Originally posted by J76137
          I reread your post and paid closer attention to the rust and seam sealer. I am currently fixing rust on mine in those same places. Hopefully I have some success. It is good to know that seem sealer does belong in those areas. Very helpful.
          I found a better picture of the rust (below). I am not saying this is "THE" way to deal with it, but it is the way I dealt with it.
          Originally posted by fulsizjeep
          I had a set of those caps still in chrome on my GW for a little while. One day I was talking with an avid Toyota wheeler dude and he was eyeing my Jeep. When he looked at the rear wheel, "ohhhh, full floater, huh"... Yessir
          hahaha! I will be listening for that!!
          Like I said before, I found a better picture of the rust I was attacking in the first place.

Lesson learned: POR15 is a bear to sand! I took 320 to the seam sealer and the POR15 to clean it all up. Then the whole black area got 400 grit before getting painted. I took my side windows out and scrubbed up the gaskets with warm soapy water and steel wool. The steel wool got all the oxidation off the rubber and cleaned out the channels. It came out great!

While the gasket was off, I found the frame had cracked. There is a little bar that holds the 2 ends together and the screw holding one side had snapped. Found a screw in my magic bolt box and put it all back together.

I had a replacement plug for the flipper winder bolt from wesdog. Check out the difference in the two. Rusty is what I had on there.

Then I put the window back in. I will hang the "4 Wheel Drive" emblem later but the Cherokee S emblem will be going down below on the lower stickers where it was in 79. The passenger side paint it still drying so nothing juicey there.

I used good ol' Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Ultra Cover flat black. Two coats were plenty. I wish it was a tiny bit less flat but it looks pretty good overall. The satin sheen was too shiny. I am happy with it overall. Here is where that rust WAS. Most of the black you see mixed on the yellow area is old sticker that I sanded down too. It should look super sharp once those upper stickers are on the yellow area. I am pretty jazzed about all this.

Passenger side will get the same window treatment tomorrow then
          I am heading out for travel for a week. Hopefully when I get home I will get the 4WD emblems installed and those upper stickers on. Cross my fingers!
          Last edited by rang-a-stang; 05-31-2020, 07:01 AM.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Marc- You're totally welcome for the caps. They look great on those wheels! and on your Jeep.

This is such a great build. Thanks for all of your updates.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
              Shakes hands with danger
              • Jul 01, 2012

That's looking really good. Rust-Oleum has a dizzying variety of finishes in the Painter's Touch line, including a matte finish. They appear to be ordered on the website from glossiest to least glossy, which would make satin the second flattest after flat, but the matte may be worth a try.
              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

The center caps look really good.
                1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• GWNashville
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 28, 2016

rang-a-stang

That Cherokee is looking nice, love the wheels. I'm surprised they allow you to put a big Cherokee sticker on your vehicle in California (Just Sayin').
                  Richard
                  GWNashville
                  Email:[email protected]
                  1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
                  727 Transmission
                  Sniper EFI Hyperspark
                  Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                    Marc- You're totally welcome for the caps. They look great on those wheels! and on your Jeep.

This is such a great build. Thanks for all of your updates.

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                    That's looking really good. Rust-Oleum has a dizzying variety of finishes in the Painter's Touch line, including a matte finish. They appear to be ordered on the website from glossiest to least glossy, which would make satin the second flattest after flat, but the matte may be worth a try.
                    Now that it has cured all the way, it looks much better. I agree (TONS of Rust-Oleum options). It will get a good wash tonight and that will really tell me how it looks.
                    Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
                    The center caps look really good.
                    Thanks, Darin! I love them!
                    Originally posted by GWNashville
                    That Cherokee is looking nice, love the wheels. I'm surprised they allow you to put a big Cherokee sticker on your vehicle in California (Just Sayin').
                    Thank you, sir! haha! Good point! I think as long as it has a mask over the stickers and I keep them quarantined, Cali will be ok with them. But (Prop 65 Warning), they do cause cancer.
                    Nothing juicy. I fixed a leak at my Vacuum Modulator on the trans but have been traveling like mad so no real updates. My son is daily driving it and its been doing well!

My Mazda's Turbo puked on my way home from a camping trip about 2 weeks ago. I could have fixed it for cheap but where's the fun in that? I plan to drive this Mazda forever so I ordered an up-sized turbo and all the fixins to go with it. My little dude will have about 310hp to the front wheels when it's done!
                    Then, when I get to Idaho (no smog) in 2 years I can swap 2 more parts, update the tune, and it should have about 360 at the wheels. That's a lot for a little 2800# FWD ricer!
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 17, 2018

Thats awesome about the Mazda, that will be killer power for that car. People can say what they will but these cars are darn fun!

In all honesty I miss my SRT 4, which was around 250 HP but man so fun to drive. The Merc is just a totally different animal. AKA not as fun honestly.
                      Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Driftwood
                        350 Buick
                        • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                        Then, when I get to Idaho (no smog) in 2 years I can swap 2 more parts, update the tune, and it should have about 360 at the wheels.
                        Ada County has had a vehicle emissions testing program in operation since 1984. The program is managed by the Air Quality Board. Sorry!
                        1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
                          Thats awesome about the Mazda, that will be killer power for that car. People can say what they will but these cars are darn fun!

In all honesty I miss my SRT 4, which was around 250 HP but man so fun to drive. The Merc is just a totally different animal. AKA not as fun honestly.
                          Copy that! Still waiting on parts for my roller skate. I agree! Should be a blast.
                          At first when I read "Merc" I was thinking you bought a Mercury something. I was thinking "OOOhhh! Did Taylor get a Marauder or a Cougar?!" THen I remembered the MERCedes.
                          Originally posted by Driftwood
                          Ada County has had a vehicle emissions testing program in operation since 1984. The program is managed by the Air Quality Board. Sorry!
                          Great. It can't be as bad as here though... (BTW, Love your new signature )
                          A few more hundred miles. Mostly uneventful. BUT I was trying to figure out how to tune my timing tables and was getting frustrated because the knock sensor was not sensing and the computer was not retarding the timing the way it should. I didn't hear knock but I knew it was knocking some.

Anyway, I went back through my tuning log and saw way back when, when I was first getting my EFI running, I disabled it! I turned it off because I did not have a knock sensor back in the day. Quick change to my BIN, burned a new chip and every thing works the way it should! It runs SOOOooo much better! I told babywag and darkmonohue it felt like it was running on old crappy plugs and now I have new ones it. Sooo much nicer.

As for pics: My son is daily'ing it and it is killing me to watch my seat covers wear and tear so I mad him buy some seat covers. The front ones looks really good and fit about 95% correctly. I'm actually pretty happy with them.

Plus! now my Jeep is WAY safer. These seat covers have air bags!!

(not really, I just thought the tag was funny).

Now the back seat... its looks TERRIBLE. But I don't care right now because the cover is protecting what is underneath. This cover is a front bench seat cover and trying to get it to fit a back seat was tough. Meh. I don't care. Less than 2 years til my son graduates and he gets his own vehicle.

I started on the sides. So my plan is to do the whole hood and back. This is all I could get done today. 2 layers of spray paint sanded off, then hit with 2000 grit, then buffed, then polished, then waxed, then sticker. I'm really happy with the glossiness of the paint underneath. it's a lot of work but it looks A LOT better. Also, the flat black paint I applied is almost an exact match to the sticker. Yeesss.....
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

It's been a couple hundred miles since my last post so a few pics.

I got the driver side upper stickers on and done. I am happy with them. The paint underneath is really coming back nice. These stickers hide ALOT of paint damage and really make it less painful to look at. Although I am putting in a stupid amount of work (there's probably 12 man hours of work in these pictures) it's making a HUGE difference. If you look around the rear view mirror, you can see 3 of the layers of Yellow. I did not go all the way down to the factory paint because I already have bare metal where the old dumbo ear mirrors were bolted on and I didn't want more. I will touch the bare metal up when I paint the rear flares. Also notice the difference in sheen between where it is sanded/polished and not sanded.

I also FINALLY finished the conduit under the hood and cleaned up the vacuum lines for the QT and under dash heater motors. The main harness was exposed from the brake booster to the firewall grommet (behind my vacuum ball) to the TBI unit. It's all clean and bundled now. Whew. I don't have any more plans for stuff under the hood at this point (other than installing the Cruise Control at some point). It's running pretty good these days! Only 2 fluid leaks left; one on trans pan and one at the low range unit shifter. I put a $35 Moroso Trans Pan gasket on and it still leaks. grrrr....
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                              258 I6
                              • Dec 17, 2018

Well I would say the man hours are clearly worth!

Also the engine bay looks pretty darn tidy from this angle!

Really coming together, inspiring me to get back on it!
                              Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• bluehwy
                                258 I6
                                • Apr 28, 2014

Originally posted by GWNashville
                                That's funny!!!

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

Working...
                                X