• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BA_051
    232 I6
    • May 06, 2008

Replacing windshield

Well I recently had my windshield replaced (actually on March 27th, 2 days prior this posting) and the damn thing leaks, bad... before it was just in the lower corners, it now I literally have streams down the inside of the windshield... I live in Everett so i see 20+ inches of rain annually...

Now the question... new gasket or reuse the old? The tech (claimed he has done a lot of pinch type windshield gaskets, and about 50ish) said mine was still good and new ones take years to relax and it will leak from day one... so he reused my old one... the shop can get a new gasket, but they are reluctant to do so...

I owned it for the past 18 years so I know it hasent been done in that time, but not sure if it was replaced before then. The old glass did not have the blue shade on the top...
    Absolutely yes!
    0%
    Yes, because you can...
    0%
    No, reuse the old if it's good.
    0%
    1974 Jeep J20, gladiator grill, 6BTAA cummins, York OBA, HX55, 5in exhaust, Mercedes G56/ford np205, 14b kingpin axle, 14b rear axle, 4.56 gears, 40x13.50r17's on 17x10 mags
  • Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    Cherokee Outlaw
    • Jan 10, 2006

I got one done by Safelite who said my old gasket was good to re-use. It also leaked from day one. When I had them come out to fix it they would not honor the warranty since it wasn't their gasket. I recently had another windshield installed by a local guy in Oak Harbor, WA with new gasket. Does not leak a drop, even in the soggy PNW.
    And despite what many say, the windshield DOES REQUIRE SEALER. Many shops think that just the gasket is enough. It says right in the 1979 FACTORY TSM in plain writing to use a sealer around both sides of the gasket.
    -Jonny B.
    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• threepiece
      350 Buick
      • Sep 17, 2005

I have installed five or six FSJ windshields in the past all using the original gasket, none of them have leaked. I always insert a small bead of butyl inside the channel that the glass goes in first. This makes installing the glass more of a challenge but the don't leak. Doing this on an extra warm day helps the installation but not the installer.
      FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
      We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
      We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
      Resistance is not futile yet.
      Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• BA_051
        232 I6
        • May 06, 2008

My 1 piece rear glass was leaking so I bought a new gasket and tinted the 4 piece rear while I had it apart and it hasent leaked a drop... I cleaned the body real good and the frame as well. I used sealer on both sides and after about an hour, it was in...

The shop spent about 1.5-2 hours to replace the windshield and I even told them not to put the trim back on... they forgot my mirror button (had to go buy that, $2) and broke my antenna ($8, whatever)... they gave me some BS story about well if it leaked before then there are no guarantees that it won't leak again... I am taking it back to them next Monday to redo it... they are probably just going to back fill it...

They made a nice big mess everywhere with the sealer too that I need to clean up... both on the glass and the body...
        1974 Jeep J20, gladiator grill, 6BTAA cummins, York OBA, HX55, 5in exhaust, Mercedes G56/ford np205, 14b kingpin axle, 14b rear axle, 4.56 gears, 40x13.50r17's on 17x10 mags

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

I'd go with the old gasket if the new one was too expensive at first but now you have a leak after professional?? installation.

Get a new gasket and some rubber butyl. take it to them and tell them to clean the crap out of it and use the rubber butyl this time and not make a mess. I'd have them remove it and personally check to see if they at least ran a brush around the rim to clean and remove all the old stuff the first time. And check for rust throughs.
          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• mdcptman
            Jeep Therapist
            • Apr 09, 2010

I have an 88, and i replaced mine myself. 1st and only time. I used the old gasket, which I spent about 3 hours cleaning thoroughly. An old mechanic told me to use Pam cooking spray as lubricant, and butyl rope for sealer. I put it in, and it hasn't leaked at all. Maybe beginner's luck. Idk, But I'm a believer in the Pam and Butyl. I have heard that the new windshields are thinner? I used one I picked from a GW in a junkyard. so that may be a factor also. You might try unlocking the gasket, and trying to slip some sort of sealer between the glass/metal and rubber on the outside, then locking it back.
            Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
            88 Grand Wagoneer
            360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
            Edelbrock 2131
            Holley 600
            Hydroboost
            Hedman headers
            Dual exhaust
            MSD6A, TFI
            Digital Gauges
            Rusty's 2" Lift
            31x10.5 15LT15s
            Quote From Friend's Mom:
            "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

A new gasket is not that expensive or hard to find. I don't understand why you wouldn't use a new gasket... even if it doesn't leak now, its an old piece of rubber and is going to dry/crack at some point... It just seems like a bit of a gamble to re-use the old one.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• BA_051
                232 I6
                • May 06, 2008

Yea cost isn't an issue, but I don't want a cheap pos either. I'll be around Tacoma on Monday so I figured I'll stop by BJs and pick one up. I hear theirs are good. TGW are to long on the bottom and others are pos's, so I have heard.

There isn't no rust on the body flange for the windshield, I looked at it personally when they did it but they wouldn't let Me watch them install. They probably didn't clean it well enough... I will have them yank it and use a new gasket, clean the windshield from all sealer, and make sure they clean the body flange as well...

So gasket and butyl sealant... I'll ask them if that's what they use...

I work 72-84 hours a week (6-7 12hr shifts) hence why I paid someone to do it professionally... I just do not have the time or helping hands to do it...

Comment

Working...
                X