International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Another 70 wagoneer build (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=121305)

Kaiserjeeps 05-02-2010 11:23 AM

Another 70 wagoneer build

I have been working on this for a friend in Seattle. It's a C model. It really needed a new cab, but the owner wanted to save it despite the costs and time involved. Sentimental value speaks miles sometimes. There wont be much floor metal left. I plan on a bed panel for a blazer to be custom fit. Any better ideas?

I had to remove and rebuild the rear sill. I am looking for a good tailgate<---

Complete with Bill Hirsch paint.

Wheel wells...

Some hammer forming

More parts, inner rear wheel well.

Kaiserjeeps 05-02-2010 11:34 AM

This part took a lot of tuning.

Always sneak up on your edges.

So I need a tailgate for a 70. I thought I remembered reading here years ago about something changing with the latch assembly in the late 70's.
Can anyone shed some light on what gates and years I can use?

My 1969 1414X is only a few feet away. I have had it apart for 9 years now. Dana 60's TH-400, NP205, formerly 350 to a 455 to a LS6 not yet obtained. I'm itching to get this one back on the road. I need a twin.

Wayne 05-02-2010 12:59 PM

Wow nice work. You could build a whole new wagoneer from scratch.

Tad 05-02-2010 01:14 PM

Very nice work.
Yes, the latches change in mid '79, there's also a change to the bottom lip of the tailgate earlier than that, near the sealing area. You need someone smarter than me to point out exactly what it is though.

They will work up until the latch change (some folks actually get real creative and change the latches too) but you'll have to be creative on the lower portion of the seal.

COLOFIREMAN 05-02-2010 01:20 PM

Man you have a lot more time on your hand than I do!! Very nice work!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mikel 05-02-2010 08:13 PM

Very nice! Quality sheetmetal work is a beautiful thing to watch.

[]V[]AXX 05-02-2010 08:46 PM

It always looks so easy when a pro does it. I spent 6 hours fabbing up a bucket seat bracket...:o

littlebuck23 05-02-2010 11:22 PM

Excellent job. You are very talented in working with sheet metal.

subscribed!

Kaiserjeeps 05-03-2010 11:05 AM

Hey, I am no pro! Just lucky.:D I "had" a great job teaching me this stuff. I also got a ton of info from u-tube videos on metal work. I learn as I go. Thanks for the comments and thank you Tad for confirming my fuzzy memory of the latch detail. I was not sure. And the seal area. Good stuff.
The search is on. Have cash.;)

This will be a stock restoration down to the hub caps. I am anxious to get all this metal work done so I can make it shine. That's the fun part.

Cheers

Artisan 05-03-2010 11:12 AM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mark j 05-03-2010 11:26 AM

In sourcing a replacement tailgate for my '72 I have come across two versions. My '72 tailgate has holes along the tailgate seal margin designed for the tailgate seal with built in retaining clips. I bought a solid tailgate in Arizona from a pre-73 wagoneer that did not have these- the seal was applied with adhesive. Not really a critical issue. I passed on two pristine tailgates at one yard due to their wanting $150 each which I thought was high at the time. Now that I know how much work you can put into a very good tailgate to get it to this condition I went back to this yard intending to buy both but sadly they crushed the FSJ's. Good luck sourcing your replacement. I dont know what year the gates changed but I gave away a near NOS gate from a '77 wagoneer as it would not work on my '72.

jeepjerry 05-03-2010 11:33 AM

Very nice fab work skills! I would hate to do that kind of work on a vehicle thats not my own...:D

Kaiserjeeps 05-04-2010 09:50 PM

It's a good friend from when I was a kid. :D

I got some more done. I ended up making a whole new bottom core support. It was three panels. I bought a 40" Harbor Freight bending brake for this stuff. It has done pretty well.

Making new parts.

Installing them.

For some reason my camera is bending the top floor flange. It is straight.

I need to do a little wheel house work. Then squeeze everything in and weld it. I will reskin the outside after the rig is sitting stable on all new floors and mounts and will not move. The rear sill is set. I need a replacement floor. A chev blazer bed patch panel looks like it may work with some edge work.

Kaiserjeeps 05-04-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark j
In sourcing a replacement tailgate for my '72 I have come across two versions. My '72 tailgate has holes along the tailgate seal margin designed for the tailgate seal with built in retaining clips. I bought a solid tailgate in Arizona from a pre-73 wagoneer that did not have these- the seal was applied with adhesive. Not really a critical issue. I passed on two pristine tailgates at one yard due to their wanting $150 each which I thought was high at the time. Now that I know how much work you can put into a very good tailgate to get it to this condition I went back to this yard intending to buy both but sadly they crushed the FSJ's. Good luck sourcing your replacement. I dont know what year the gates changed but I gave away a near NOS gate from a '77 wagoneer as it would not work on my '72.

Thank you for this. And the other responses on this are included in that. :D

newtojeeps 05-05-2010 04:59 AM

go get an old or new truck bed. Don't forget the raised area by the wheel wells! great work by the way.:thumbsup:

jaber 05-05-2010 07:09 AM

That is awesome work. Just wish I had the shop and tools to refine my talents with.

BJ's has quite a few of the floor pan parts already made up, just dont know how much of the floor they have premade. Check with them. There was also a member here that was making them in the vendors section. VERY well made and a perfect fit...

NICE WORK!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

littlebuck23 05-05-2010 09:05 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :thumbsup:

lookin good!! your bringing that body back from the dead. most guys would swap it out with that damage.

Kaiserjeeps 05-06-2010 11:01 AM

I talked about finding a cheap wag with a better body. A couple days to swap it out, fix what ever it needs and go. But he really wanted the same tub. I told him it would be months more work on top of the costs. He was sure about it. So I am patching it one panel at a time.
I wish I could make hat channels of substantial thickness quickly.

It is sure making me want to get mine going. I miss driving the big old thing.

I already have BJ's floor pans. Funny, I will install them and then patch between them. There will be no original floor except the little square pads inside the rear wheel houses.

I better get out there.;)

Kaiserjeeps 05-20-2010 09:54 PM

Got a few more things done. I'll have the floor in soon.
The drivers side.

A new core support.

In comparing to my wag next to this one, everything is about where it' supposed to be. I need to do more fitting though. The floor will tuck in here.

It's starting to look like something. :)

Kaiserjeeps 06-04-2010 05:35 PM

Now it is really starting to look better. I ended up choosing a 1970 GMC short bed rear half repair panel. The blazer was two piece R and L. The truck panel was one piece. It was about as much to ship as purchase. 400.00+

Lots of edge work to do.

TGIF.:drivin: