International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Holley Sniper EFI (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=181861)

Darwin1876 02-02-2017 11:16 PM

Holley Sniper EFI

Just curious if anyone has installed this kit. And if so do you like it?

bkilby 02-03-2017 07:59 AM

Interested as well. If I hadn't already purchased a new carb, I'b be getting this setup to try out.

rocklaurence 02-04-2017 04:14 PM

Wow, first I saw this! Its about time and it was FITEC and others that pushed them to make an affordable kit.:p

Darwin1876 02-04-2017 06:04 PM

I think I have decided to take the plunge and order the kit. I will update afterwards.

Geminiroq 02-04-2017 06:32 PM

Would be nice if they make a CARB version for us in California :rolleyes:

Darwin1876 02-04-2017 08:03 PM

Hopefully a California one will be there in the future.

NeverKnowsBest 02-10-2017 09:15 AM

Eagerly watching this as well

yossarian19 02-12-2017 03:46 PM

I'm a bit optimistic that running four more modern style injectors at a higher pressure will give better results than 80s-90s GM throttle body injection. People, when they bother to update threads after driving the project for a while, consistently report much better starting, idling and throttle response. Fuel mileage, nobody reports.
Myself I'm interested FiTech's upcoming multi port systems. The Edelbrock Air-Gap intake for the AMC has bosses for injectors cast in (this is the manifold used in their EFI system) and fuel rails can be made to fit. $2,000 would get it running, i think. Not sure it'd be worth it though, competition being an LS swap. Anyway, that's a thread-jack...
Hoping somebody chimes in with actual results after installing a Sniper or Fitech system.

babywag 02-13-2017 10:21 AM

EFI isn't a magical bullet on these things.

Yes it improves things across the board, however it's a 4500lb brick w/ zero aerodynamics. Just switching to EFI shouldn't drastically increase MPG.
Yes, there will be gains, but they won't be spectacular unless it was tuned horribly w/ carb.

Where it'll shine and you'll see the most benefit is city MPG.
Since the computer won't just be blindly dumping fuel like a carb on a cold engine. If it was tuned well before the swap you might see 1-2MPG increase in highway MPG.

wayne-o- 02-17-2017 02:13 PM

My Sniper Install

Just installed this on my 83 J10 Sunday, Huge improvement, smooth acceleration, reduced warm up, crisp throttle response, did have a problem with RPM's couldn't get it down below 850, a couple calls to Holley techs and they told me the fix. Just a matter of some tuning thru the hand held now its idling at 720 to 740.......smooth as silk.

this is my 3rd EFI setup; Howell, don't waste your time 3 injector pods,2 computer chips, 5 months and a trip to one of their approved shops later, runs too lean. they refunded my money
Holley Avenger 4 injectors.....1989 technology likes to shut off primary jets in stop & go traffic so your stalling, supplier gave me replacement units my choice, took (2) Holley Snipers, gave one to my brother for his 72 Jeepster

j10jim 02-17-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne-o-
Just installed this on my 83 J10 Sunday, Huge improvement, smooth acceleration, reduced warm up, crisp throttle response, did have a problem with RPM's couldn't get it down below 850, a couple calls to Holley techs and they told me the fix. Just a matter of some tuning thru the hand held now its idling at 720 to 740.......smooth as silk.

this is my 3rd EFI setup; Howell, don't waste your time 3 injector pods,2 computer chips, 5 months and a trip to one of their approved shops later, runs too lean. they refunded my money
Holley Avenger 4 injectors.....1989 technology likes to shut off primary jets in stop & go traffic so your stalling, supplier gave me replacement units my choice, took (2) Holley Snipers, gave one to my brother for his 72 Jeepster

How are you going to pass smog in CA with that on your 83 J10? I have a 1980 J10 and would definitely do this if it would pass CA smog. Thanks

Geminiroq 02-17-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j10jim
How are you going to pass smog in CA with that on your 83 J10? I have a 1980 J10 and would definitely do this if it would pass CA smog. Thanks

Same here :thumbsup:

yossarian19 02-18-2017 05:42 PM

Some counties in California only require a smog when ownership changes. Get a PO box and have a few bills sent there.
Or be like my old engine repair instructor, buy yourself a damned aircraft hanger full of muscle cars in Oregon and register your stuff up there :)

j10jim 02-19-2017 09:23 PM

Maybe you need to start a nice side business. I could register my truck up there and you could forward the reg info to me :)

babywag 02-19-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j10jim
Maybe you need to start a nice side business. I could register my truck up there and you could forward the reg info to me :)

The registration address can be different than location of vehicle.
You don't necessarily have to even change it.
If you have AAA it's a quick visit.

yossarian19 02-19-2017 11:10 PM

I live in a smog county, I just know a guy who doesn't believe in smogging his G-body Chevy.

SpudWrench 02-20-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne-o-

Thanks for this.
Any install notes to be aware of?
Timing control simple modifications?

wayne-o- 02-21-2017 05:44 PM

As far as smogging, I know a guy. And for the sniper install, pretty simple 5 wires, I've got the rpm idle fix from holley, took about 3 minutes. I got 3/8 x 6an fittings from a hose shop and 3/8 fuel injection hose and fuel inj clamps from Napa. You can go down 1 size for your return and run 5/16. I do recommend this system.

rang-a-stang 02-21-2017 05:46 PM

When I was working on getting my Chero through smog, I came across a guy with a 79 CJ7 with a 401/Holley sniper in it. He said he originally had a Howell and it went through smog a couple times, but he wanted more power so he put a Edelbrock intake on it (but ground off the logo, and painted it to match the engine so it looks like a stock manifold), and the Holley Sniper. He said when he takes it to smog, they kind of scratch their heads when they look at it, assume the Holley Kit is the Howell kit, and do the sniff/evap tests. He said he has passed twice like that. He's banking that the smog techs can't tell the difference and twice it has worked for him which means he's been driving it for at least 4 years like that. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk failing but he swears by it.

wayne-o- 02-21-2017 08:38 PM

Ok, smog, if you download the Howell install manual, they tell you all the smog crap you can legally get rid of when you run their system, smog pump, plugging off exhaust tubes that used to be needed for your headers (I have Doug Thorley) gotta keep the charcoal canister, big deal.