International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Funky old trucks of Montauk (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171444)

vacaisle 08-05-2014 04:50 PM

Funky old trucks of Montauk

I've noticed that there's a lot of funky old trucks in Montauk including my own. Here's a few I've seen.

A pair of???

Chevy something-or-other

Seatless j truck/surfboard sign holder

This Land Rover isn't old but it is funky

Dr. Marneaus 08-05-2014 05:14 PM

what do you mean a pair of "????"

Those look like some beautiful FJ40's to me.

vacaisle 08-05-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
what do you mean a pair of "????"

Those look like some beautiful FJ40's to me.

I didn't know what they were. I took the picture while driving by. They're cool. That spot was a mechanic and there was also a white grand wag in the lot.

By funky old trucks I mean funky old trucks that I think are cool. Some of which I couldn't identify. Like the chevy van. It had a chevy symbol on the front but it looked a little like those ford falcon vans.

goldhammer 08-05-2014 05:31 PM

Yep, old mid 60's Chev Greenbriar van. Also made a p/u version and IIRC the truck had a lay down door that was a loading ramp on the side, ala VW p/u back then. Have not seen a van for 30 years and a p/u for going on 40.

The cruisers were/are VERY capable rigs and can still kick the tail feathers of a lot of current day production vehicles. Same with the Nissan Patrols of that vintage.

Original LR's are supposedly reversed engineering of the Willys MB just after the war

vacaisle 08-05-2014 05:40 PM

Whoa! Nissan patrols are cool. Never heard of them.

Land rovers are crazy expensive! I'd love to get one but it's out of my price range. The little 90 pick up is pretty neat.

goldhammer 08-05-2014 05:54 PM

Patrols were imported for a few years and then they quit. Emissions and lack of sales for the most part. Was popular elsewhere in the world, and recently you could source parts out of Canada. Looked like the LR's of the day, but the grills were not recessed.

Had a railroad guy we knew, and he had one. Climbed a ridge after his son tried it in a new Ford p/u and only got halfway up. Happened to go by a couple of weeks later and told us he asked the kid what they were planting on the hillside...... kid said ????? Dad goes, happened by and see that none of you made it up and it looks like a plowed spring garden, I wont some of the produce.:eek:

He got it stuck in a wash in Black Rock Desert out of Gerlach, NV. Was turning around and backed it up the wash wall and when he came down stuck the front bumper in the opposite wall and rode up it a little....all 4 were off the ground. Took about an hour to dig it loose and get out of there, hoping all the time-Please no desert thunder storm.

sld 08-05-2014 06:41 PM

I have Montauk Indian ancestry. My family were Dutch in the 1600s. One of them, a Van Tassle, had a son with an Indian. Later it was illegal to marry an Indian.

jamesdart 08-05-2014 07:56 PM

I need to get out there to do some fishing.

PlasticBoob 08-05-2014 09:40 PM

Ew, it looks like you have the beginnings of a rust-resistant FJ40 invasion! Montauk should bring in some feral Iron Pigs to clear them out, stat! :whistle:

mdill 08-05-2014 10:31 PM

Nice pair of FJ's
Neat 60's Chevy regular passenger van (not a Greenbrier)
M715 (??) Sign holder.
Cool Defender 110 (playing keep away from the Fed's ?)

Chevy van done up as Scooby Doo van

vacaisle 08-06-2014 10:11 AM

Today's findings

Bronco

This one isn't a truck but it's still cool. A Citroen I think

goldhammer 08-06-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdill
Nice pair of FJ's
Neat 60's Chevy regular passenger van (not a Greenbrier)
M715 (??) Sign holder.
Cool Defender 110 (playing keep away from the Fed's ?)

Chevy van done up as Scooby Doo van

Come to think of it, weren't the Greenbriars and the p/u's with the side ramp the Corvairs?? Been so long ago........:confused:

goldhammer 08-06-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacaisle
Bronco

This one isn't a truck but it's still cool. A Citroen I think

Yep, old frog hunk of scrap. Looks like the one from "Romancing the Stone", before it when for a bath and tumble dry.

Kind of like the cage in the old Bronc. Different treatment of the upper hoop and front pillar uprights.

tgreese 08-06-2014 10:56 AM

Citroen 2CV (duex chevaux aka two horse).

That's a G-series conventional front engine - rear drive van like the Ford E-series. Not the Corvair Greenbriar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Van#First_generation_.281964.E2.80.93196 6.29

(apologies for repetition)

The LR 110 is very serious looking, with its exo and grille guard.

DarkMonohue 08-06-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldhammer
Come to think of it, weren't the Greenbriars and the p/u's with the side ramp the Corvairs?? Been so long ago........:confused:

Yes. The Corvair 95 line included pickups, some of which were Rampside models, and vans, some of which were Greenbriar people-haulers. The van that vacaisle saw was a conventional, front-engined Mystery Machine.

mdill 08-06-2014 02:34 PM

The Greenbrier's were made in a number of conjurations, the open top with side ramp, cargo-van, passenger-van ... pretty much the same configurations that VW offered with their van/pickupish things at the time.

Not many legal Defender 110's are in the US, the fed's scooped up a lot of Defenders last month in a sweep, most had to do with one importer getting creative with the paper work, pretty sad to think the government does not have better things to do than scoop up gray market cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Yes. The Corvair 95 line included pickups, some of which were Rampside models, and vans, some of which were Greenbriar people-haulers. The van that vacaisle saw was a conventional, front-engined Mystery Machine.

vacaisle 08-06-2014 03:20 PM

Here's the last one

goldhammer 08-06-2014 04:10 PM

Spray rig. We see 'em like that in the cranberry bogs on the south coast, and super fat tundra tire versions in the grass seed fields.

Nice ground clearance:D

Dr. Marneaus 08-06-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasticBoob
Ew, it looks like you have the beginnings of a rust-resistant FJ40 invasion! Montauk should bring in some feral Iron Pigs to clear them out, stat! :whistle:

Oh my god that 50 series is awesome!

Frank G 08-06-2014 06:37 PM

I go fishing in Montauk 6 times a year(going this Friday) for stripe bass blues porgies.

I see alot of cool rigs from SJ's to Land Rovers to CJ's while out there(I live about 1 hr west of montauk) but I once I made the mistake of talking to a nice 80's era SJ owner in east hampton. He was about as arrogant as they come(looked like a skinny Baldwin) and knew nothing about it and had absolutely not interest in it or talking to me.

I make the assumption about most driving these "trendy" trucks thats it just a rich prick thing out in Montauk!!! Most are D##ks with more money than common sense.

DarkMonohue 08-06-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

The Greenbrier's were made in a number of conjurations, the open top with side ramp, cargo-van, passenger-van ... pretty much the same configurations that VW offered with their van/pickupish things at the time.

Well - not exactly. Greenbriar was one version of the Corvair van. Other Corvair 95s (95 meaning pickup or van, as opposed to passenger car) were not Greenbriars. And not all pickups were Rampside.

But they are all cool. And seldom have anyone arrogant or moneyed behind the wheel. Eccentric and goofy, certainly, but

Not trying to be a know-it-all here. Heck, I had to go to Wikipedia to find out what a "Montauk" is...

mdill 08-07-2014 08:47 PM

I just remember seeing a few (very few) of them in my ill spent youth, they were pretty cool, The weird Dodge and Ford 1/2 van 1/2 pickups were also pretty cool. I don't remember seeing any of them in the 20 years or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Well - not exactly. Greenbriar was one version of the Corvair van. Other Corvair 95s (95 meaning pickup or van, as opposed to passenger car) were not Greenbriars. And not all pickups were Rampside.

But they are all cool. And seldom have anyone arrogant or moneyed behind the wheel. Eccentric and goofy, certainly, but

Not trying to be a know-it-all here. Heck, I had to go to Wikipedia to find out what a "Montauk" is...

DarkMonohue 08-07-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

I just remember seeing a few (very few) of them in my ill spent youth, they were pretty cool, The weird Dodge and Ford 1/2 van 1/2 pickups were also pretty cool. I don't remember seeing any of them in the 20 years or so.

They still exist. Out here we have one or two old Falcon Econoline vans and pickups, a cottage industry built around brake parts and upgrades for them, and a sweet little Dodge A100 pickup serving as billboard/workhorse for a local shop.

goldhammer 08-08-2014 08:38 AM

Got a friend in Roseburg that has an old Econoline p/u that he extended the cab above the bed back about 18 inches and converted to 4x4. Calls it his hippie truck.

DarkMonohue 08-08-2014 08:42 AM

Ha! That sounds about like Roseburg...

goldhammer 08-08-2014 10:17 AM

That's old Louie. Had a fab shop there for years, did a lot of front leaf conversions on Broncos for the hardcore mud guys down there.