• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

2018 401 Cam recommendations

Been doing a lot of reading here to get the right cam.

Here is my build plan:
    ~9.4:1,
    Stock heads,
    Performer intake,
    454 TBI (seems to flow about 650CFM)
    computer controlled ignition,
    Hooker headers,
    In front of an Automatic, 32" tires, and 3.54'ish gears

My Requirements (in order of importance)
    1) must pass CA smog
    2) Torque (idle-5500RPM)
    3) cost
    4) Vacuum
    5) HP
    6) Smooth idle

Four cams seem to have the most mentions/positive inputs here. What I am finding:
    1) The Lunati 64502 seems to have a lot of positive input here but I do not think it is made anymore. I also see that Lunati's website says it has a "noticeable idle". I'm OK with a TINY bit of lope but don't want to deal with a really lopey idle.
    2) Summit K8600 seems to have good input but mostly for 360s and it seems to be a love/hate relationship (some love it, some HATE it). Do 401s like them?
    3) I read ALOT about the Melling MTA-1, mostly good, but they seem to be recommended for a stock short block with <9.4:1.
    4) Edelbrock Performer (another love/Hate cam).
    Honorable mention: Comp Cams 260 and 270H

SO questions (I am not looking for theory as much as experience):
    A) I have been saying "RV" cam all along. Seems like it's a generic term that does not really mean anything other than, low RPM range with otherwise stock parts, Right?
    B) Anyone have any experience getting a 401 (or 360) through CA smog with one of these cams or a build even remotely close to mine?
    C) Before I start pulling the specs on these cams and start comparing them, Are there any other cam profiles you guys recommend I check out?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

I have no experience with emissions compliant engines but my guess is you better not stray far from stock.

Emissions requirements are why they used such mild cams in the first place so it's only logical.

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

There is some good information in this thread on the Emissions stuff.
      Guys, need some informations for smog equipment for 12/1982 , with 360AMC Cherokee: only standard cat without o2 sensor a) when was first year with this? (any manufacturer informations?) b) does it give a list with the engine years and horsepowers, with and without smog ? Have a date with our registration

Often times people compare aftermarket cams to the stock 360 cam. Keep in mind that the stock 401 cam is a bigger cam to start with. Actually, the Comp 268H cam has less lift than the stock 401 cam.
      AMCcamList1 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I remember that thread when you guys were having but I didn't think to search for smog threads vice cam threads. Your spreadsheet is fantastic, too. I hope to order cam, lifters, and timing set this week.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

i've run the performer grind,the summit 8600 and 8601/rhoads lifters,and the small lunati voodoo cam in these.

the 8600 is the only one that was so bad i actually took the time to remove it.

the little lunati was about equal with the performer. it was also ground like 15 degrees off center,which is ridiculous for what it cost.

the 8601 with the rhoads vmax was nice,but the oil pressure suffered with the rhoads lifters and crappy amc pump.

the performer was the best all around,and cheapest,as elgin makes the same grind-probably for edelbrock too.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• mattmopar440
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
            i've run the performer grind,the summit 8600 and 8601/rhoads lifters,and the small lunati voodoo cam in these.

the little lunati was about equal with the performer. it was also ground like 15 degrees off center,which is ridiculous for what it cost.

the 8601 with the rhoads vmax was nice,but the oil pressure suffered with the rhoads lifters and crappy amc pump.

the performer was the best all around,and cheapest,as elgin makes the same grind-probably for edelbrock too.
            didnt like my 8600 in my 401 gave up alot of low down power liked my performer which was in there Ill be going with a elgin cam next 2 reasons one very close to the perfromer and two its made 3 blocks from my house
            87' Grand Wagoneer
            401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
            84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
            80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
            74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
            Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Inferior Chevy

Comment

• mattmopar440
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow

didnt like my 8600 in my 401 gave up alot of low down power liked my performer which was in there Ill be going with a elgin cam next 2 reasons one very close to the perfromer and two its made 3 blocks from my house
              87' Grand Wagoneer
              401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
              84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
              80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
              74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
              Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Inferior Chevy

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                Señor Jackhead
                • Aug 21, 2002

I have a Comp Cams 260H in my 401 and a Lunati 64502 in my wife's 401. We have been happy with both. The Lunati does provide some lope at idle and both provide good low end torque. You say 9.4:1 compression. I really doubt I would up the compression if I had to deal with CA emissions. Gas mileage did go down with the Lunati experience.

On the Lunati, the part numbers changed since 2010. This is the 64502.
                Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
                Flint
                Ran when parked.
                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                  You say 9.4:1 compression. I really doubt I would up the compression if I had to deal with CA emissions.[/url]
                  Higher compression shouldn't have any negative consequences to emissions.
                  If anything probably be improved vs. a craptastic 8.x:1 engine.
                  Lots has changed since '70's, EFI, improved CAT function, etc.

A good tune, a new CAT, and probably breeze right through with far lower numbers than when it was new in 1979. Even with higher CR & cam.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

The only stat I worry of (a little) is NOx. I get a little worried the increased CR will increase combustion temps and increase NOx. This is in my simple mind though, I have no data to back that up.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                      The only stat I worry of (a little) is NOx. I get a little worried the increased CR will increase combustion temps and increase NOx. This is in my simple mind though, I have no data to back that up.
                      EGR and/or dial timing back couple degrees, would get you through.

My '90 passed last time even w/o the EGR functional(forgot to hook it up).
                      It has a cam, believe the "RV" grind, but dunno for sure.
                      Look @ NOx on below smog tests...without & with EGR.

Tony

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

OK, after much gnashing of teeth, I think I am going to order Comp's 268H. The only spec I would change is a little more lobe separation angle. I was hoping for 112 degrees but everything else seems to fit my requirements. I found a few videos of 401s with this cam and the idle seems good enough for me. Now I start searching for the best price for a cam with the 268H specs.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Just my opinion!
                          On a 401 I wouldn't run a 268H, or a single pattern cam.
                          If it was me I'd run a comp 256xe or the 262xe, or even the old RV grind.

Not saying the 268H is a bad cam or won't work, but with a 401 @ least do a 270H.
                          Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X