International Full Size Jeep Association

International Full Size Jeep Association (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Another 70 wagoneer build (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=121305)

SJTD 07-12-2017 10:00 PM

I think you're concentrating too hard on painting, I was referring to the body mounts. :)

Frank Ziebert 07-13-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJTD
I think you're concentrating too hard on painting, I was referring to the body mounts. :)

Now things make more sense.:thumbsup:

Kaiserjeeps 07-13-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJTD

It is what I think about in every spare moment. Like trying to get to sleep. :D

Too funny... Thanks for clarifying. I too had to think on that one.

The thing about using the aluminum ones, it is not an offroad rig. There hopefully won't be much flexing going on. I want the body to stay put. Todays rubber is inferior to stuff made in the 60's I think. Some of the rubber mounts had already lost some height. The bolts were loose already.. The only thing I might have done if I was a super perfectionist, is coat the top and bottom with slip plate. That would hopefully keep them from developing a squeak later.
If they don't work out, they can be changed in short time.

Kaiserjeeps 07-13-2017 05:10 PM

Lean green machine. :D After a quick sand and a ton of masking, I made the floors and some of the sides green. I managed to beat any wind that always comes up in the afternoon. I was pretty impressed at the complete lack of dirt in the final product for spraying outside. I had more dirt in the paint in the booth. Go figure.

Keeping it inside.

OK so I usually post my mistakes. Or should I say blunders. I had sprayed all the front, the rear seat well and was working on the wheel houses. I was kneeling on the bed and shifted to spray the other side when my spray gun cap came flying off and I dumped almost half of my mixed paint on the bed. :eek: I freaked! I had paint running in mass down towards the rear seat well. I grabbed the cap stuffed it back on and set the gun on the ground. I ran inside and hanging on my sink were three microfiber rags drying. I ran out literally saying out loud "Oh no!" over and over while I swabbed up what I could. It splashed just about everywhere. I could not believe it. I could not wipe the sprayed part for fear of really ruining the finish. I did however get most all of it up and covered it quickly with freshly mixed paint. Honestly I am impressed on how good it looks now. Yes there are some splashes, but fortunately they will be covered by carpet.. I was bummed.
The reason this happened is the plastic lid had expanded from soaking the spray gun parts in lacquer thinner long term while sitting in the stand. I will put a strip of duct tape on for tomorrows second coat. Thank fully this was not the outside.

Droplets and splashes. :(

The rest of it looks just fine. I want a thick coat here. For rust resistance under carpet.

And after cleaning my spray gun just before this job, I still am having problems with it. I rebuilt it a while back even. Uneven spray fan and I believe this gun is worn out. I put yet another big ding in the tool budget and ordered a new mid range gun from eastwood. I don't want to take a chance at flaws in the outside of the body.
Hopefully it will show up very soon. I am on a roll.:thumbsup:

Frank Ziebert 07-14-2017 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
Lean green machine. :D After a quick sand and a ton of masking, I made the floors and some of the sides green. I managed to beat any wind that always comes up in the afternoon. I was pretty impressed at the complete lack of dirt in the final product for spraying outside. I had more dirt in the paint in the booth. Go figure.

Keeping it inside.

OK so I usually post my mistakes. Or should I say blunders. I had sprayed all the front, the rear seat well and was working on the wheel houses. I was kneeling on the bed and shifted to spray the other side when my spray gun cap came flying off and I dumped almost half of my mixed paint on the bed. :eek: I freaked! I had paint running in mass down towards the rear seat well. I grabbed the cap stuffed it back on and set the gun on the ground. I ran inside and hanging on my sink were three microfiber rags drying. I ran out literally saying out loud "Oh no!" over and over while I swabbed up what I could. It splashed just about everywhere. I could not believe it. I could not wipe the sprayed part for fear of really ruining the finish. I did however get most all of it up and covered it quickly with freshly mixed paint. Honestly I am impressed on how good it looks now. Yes there are some splashes, but fortunately they will be covered by carpet.. I was bummed.
The reason this happened is the plastic lid had expanded from soaking the spray gun parts in lacquer thinner long term while sitting in the stand. I will put a strip of duct tape on for tomorrows second coat. Thank fully this was not the outside.

Droplets and splashes. :(

The rest of it looks just fine. I want a thick coat here. For rust resistance under carpet.

And after cleaning my spray gun just before this job, I still am having problems with it. I rebuilt it a while back even. Uneven spray fan and I believe this gun is worn out. I put yet another big ding in the tool budget and ordered a new mid range gun from eastwood. I don't want to take a chance at flaws in the outside of the body.
Hopefully it will show up very soon. I am on a roll.:thumbsup:

Sorry Al but I just had to laugh about the lid coming off:D . Why because I have had similar stuff happen and I can just hear the "oh no, oh no, ................
The picture in my mind just won't go away now.

Glad it was t too bad.

Kaiserjeeps 07-14-2017 09:28 AM

I am just about to spray a second and final coat. I am trying to bring down some of those splash marks. All in all I came out real well on it. 39 degrees last night. I will be at 70 shortly. I'm duct taping the lid on today. :D

I wish there was a list of photo hosting sites to choose from. I have a feeling my days are numbered on PB. Life is not fair. PB is right up there. Stinkers....

Kaiserjeeps 07-14-2017 12:06 PM

Just finished the second coat. I was able to air sand off most all the splash droplets without getting into primer. It looks so much better. I will post up tonight when the sun sets as the direct sunlight is washing out the photos and not doing it justice. So glad to be done with this stage. Not much left to do now. :thumbsup:

Frank Ziebert 07-14-2017 02:21 PM

^^^^:D ^^^^

Kaiserjeeps 07-15-2017 12:27 PM

The interior is done. Two heavy coats on and ready for the roof and outside. Most all the splashes sanded off just fine. I never intended for the floors to be perfect visually. They will have carpet over them and the most important thing is resistance to moisture and rusting. I believe I have achieved that goal.

Another spill was not going to happen. And I made sure of it. Ever try to handle duct tape with rubber gloves on?

More better. :)

This new pedal pad is made from stainless steel. It will never rust.

As soon as the new spray gun shows up. I will proceed. I have the passenger side rear quarter body line fixed pretty nicely. It won't take much to dial it in all the way now.

More soon.

Kaiserjeeps 07-18-2017 09:18 PM

Fire season is here. The last two days there has been so much smoke in the air that all the neighbors are concerned. Turns out the fire is two county's over and 500 acres and growing. Not a threat to us but we sure are getting a lot of smoke from it. There is a 50 acre fire about 35 miles north of us. Also not a threat so far. On August 12th 2015 a fire started on the mountain just 6 miles away and burned for 6 weeks and covered 28,000 acres. It got within 3 miles of us. It was heck to endure every day. So naturally smoke makes all of us nervous here.
I have been putting a lot of work into the passenger rear quarter trying to get it perfectly straight. It has been challenging me. I cut right through the center of the panel to get access to the rusty wheel house under it. I don't think I will do that again unless it is not avoidable. All the body lines are a real bear to straighten to perfection.

Here is a rough sand and the low and high spots are now showing. Honestly it looks terrible to me when you get close.

I found a significant high spot. And I am using a 4 foot level as I found my long straight edge was in fact bent. It was worse than the picture shows.

This is where I use the shrinking disc's from Wolfes metal fab. These tools are absolutely cool. It allows very controlled shrinking to bring stubborn high spots down. I highly recommend these. I have the 4.5 inch disc and this is the first time I ever used the 9 inch disc. Run it on the high spot and dab with a damp rag. It works way better than a body hammer. Here is a link to them.

http://www.wolfesmetalfabrication.com/sdisc.html

The big disc and paint removed for shrinking.

Both units...

So by this time I have two days into this quarter panel. And it just is not right yet. I see what it needs and tomorrow I will hit it again. I really want to nail this paint job out. It is perfect painting weather.

So while I am getting all the work done to paint, I started on a second improved firewall pad. I am about half done with it. I also bought a better insulation instead of the recycled plastic stuff. This firewall pad will resemble an exact duplicate of the original.

My supervisor. He is a slave driver and is in charge of quality control. :D

I also am just a couple days from firing off the zinc electroplating station. I have been to just about every hardware store within 50 miles and could not find my brass bolt I wanted. Not a big deal as the plated one will conduct electricity just as well. I want to get ahead of the paint work first. The drivers side quarter will be much quicker. I did not cut through the center of that side. It will finish out way easier. So I will also post results of plating metal soon. My cerakote matte clear showed up. So I am pretty much ready to plate away...

Stay tuned...;)

nightglide 07-18-2017 09:55 PM

Will you be selling the firewall pads? :)
Thanks
Owen

Frank Ziebert 07-19-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightglide
Will you be selling the firewall pads? :)
Thanks
Owen

Yes curious people want to know.?

What material are you using there?

Kaiserjeeps 07-19-2017 10:36 AM

Yes nightglide I plan on it. Each one is hand made and takes a bit to make. Right now every bit of time I spend on rebuilding my friends wagoneer is the most important thing. I literally am years late on it. When I get Sadie done I plan on door sill plates, firewall pads, possibly chrome plating plastic interior parts, and fender skirt seals not to forget the shift indicators. I have a great interest in making and selling these things. I just need to get Sadie done first.

Frank the board for the firewall pads is from (I believe without looking) Perfect Fit. They claim it is waterproof but it is not even close. It warps and bleeds color just like the original. :D I fortify it by sealing it with minwax wood hardener. That seals it and keeps the warpage to a minimum. I will check on where I got it to make sure. Maybe when the paint is done and I am assembling Sadie in a month or so, I can knock out a couple firewall pads. I figure it won't take much to get them done in the evenings.

I am headed out to once again tune the rear quarter panel. I have some ridges and valley lines to correct. Paint will show your flaws bigger than life.
I admit this is a tough one.

nightglide 07-20-2017 09:11 PM

Awesome! I'm in for a firewall pad, Fender skirting and I need my steering column bezel chrome plated when you're ready for production.
Thanks
Owen

bkilby 07-21-2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

I have been to just about every hardware store within 50 miles and could not find my brass bolt I wanted.

What size is the bolt? I might have something lying around.

Kaiserjeeps 07-21-2017 10:11 AM

I was looking for a 3/8X16 one inch long. Hex head. It's not to big of a deal. I have a bolt in the negative bus bar that will certainly work. It is one of those situations where I prefer everything to look and be the same. Aesthetics I guess. If you have a bolt that big, let me know and I will PM you my address. And a paypal gift.:)

Owen, (and Frank) I am making an alignment jig to assemble the firewall pads on the fiberglass and have alignment with all the holes without fighting it.
I have been cutting out extra components and will try to get them built in the evenings after the days work is done on Sadie. Paint is the word lately. The weather has been perfect and as soon as my replacement spray gun is here, I am going to be a spraying fool. :thumbsup:

Dang me if it is not the most beautiful day out.

I think I will fire off the electroplating station on Sunday. Lets see what happens.

Frank Ziebert 07-21-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

I was looking for a 3/8X16 one inch long. Hex head. It's not to big of a deal. I have a bolt in the negative bus bar that will certainly work. It is one of those situations where I prefer everything to look and be the same. Aesthetics I guess. If you have a bolt that big, let me know and I will PM you my address. And a paypal gift.:)

Owen, (and Frank) I am making an alignment jig to assemble the firewall pads on the fiberglass and have alignment with all the holes without fighting it.
I have been cutting out extra components and will try to get them built in the evenings after the days work is done on Sadie. Paint is the word lately. The weather has been perfect and as soon as my replacement spray gun is here, I am going to be a spraying fool. :thumbsup:

Dang me if it is not the most beautiful day out.

I think I will fire off the electroplating station on Sunday. Lets see what happens.

I envy you getting to the paint part! Every time I think I'm getting close I look at the cab and see just-one-little-other-thing that needs a "touch of body work:banghead:

Kaiserjeeps 07-22-2017 09:42 AM

That quarter panel is killing me. I believe it is straight now after 4 days tedious work. I had run out of primer also. Primer, and my new finish spraygun showed up yesterday. Back at it. Soon the flies will be out of control. I need to knock this out.

bkilby 07-22-2017 04:39 PM

Sorry Kaiser, I looked for those bolts but can't find them.

toddthewelder 07-22-2017 05:27 PM

Goodness! you have been a busy dude since I've been gone. Everything looks great, won't be long now